Norweign Dawn,Port of New York

mar326

I will be on the Norweign Dawn Sept 26th. I have ??s about flying into LGA.

If I arrive at 12:45pm will that be enough time to get to the port?I have recieved a quote from the super shuttle for $15.00 a piece to take us to the pier. My concern is the arrival time. Also why do people say not to fly to LGA?Are flights always late or is it the traffic?Thanks for any help.

I always fly into LGA and have never had a problem (knock on wood, but personally, I think thats cutting it kind of close no matter what airport you fly into...Lets say your plane does actually land at 12:45 as it should, you wait to taxi, everyone to get off the plane, go get your luggage, find the shuttle (and hope that it leaves every 15 mins rather than every hour), it would already be close to 2:00pm by the time you get in the shuttle, then you have to drive from LGA to the pier, deal with traffic, etc and my guess is that you wont make it to the pier until 3:00pm or later and I believe you have to be on board 1 hour before departure (this could be wrong).

I dont know what time your ship leaves, but this is very risky in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

LGA is known for often delays as it is tiny compared to JFK. Whenever we travel being New Yorkers, JFK is always our first choice. If there is bad weather LGA is always first to post delays.

However LGA is closer to NYC then JFK, but traffic could be really bad on the roads from either airport. However you get the port, most likey the LIE (Long Island Expressway) that is known as the worlds-biggest parking lot. If you hit no traffic that would be a shock.

You are cutting it close. There can also be considerable traffic for blocks from the port. So my suggestion would be to pack light and have a good rolling bag and be prepared to bail out of a cab a few blocks away if necessary. I wouldn't wait for a shuttle that may include other stops, go with a cab.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi,

Last year we went on the Dawn and came into LGA I wouldn't take the shuttle because of time we took a cab and we spent $42.00 on it which included tip. It is really worth the extra money. The port for the Dawn is very busy and the cab drivers are able to get around because they know traffic patterns and want to get you in and out as quick as possible.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...
We avoid LGA like a plague - it is notorius for delays being as it is a small airport. They are more likely to close down sooner than the other airports in bad weather.

A 12:45 arrival - bad choice.

if we are going to fly in the day before would it be worth flying int lga for the money we would save on the flight. plus being able to spend a quiet afternoon and night in the port city ( i alwasys bid on my hotels with price line ) to save money there also )? i never plan to fly into the port city the day of the cruise so im hoping lga would be ok for me?

musicmansmom,

I don't think it matters what airport you come into. I have flown into LGA and JFK and had no problems in either. The real cost is going to be in hotels and taxi service. I must say I have always flown in the night before but with this cruise the expense of coming the night before doesn't make it cost effective for us.

We fly in the day of the cruise and have the next day at sea to recover from our day of travel.

If you are bidding for your hotel on priceline are you aware of http://www.biddingfortravel.com it will help you with where hotels are located. I use Priceline often myself.

Sorry I couldn't tell you much more but good luck on arrangements. It's going to be a great cruise.

redspize

thanks for the info. i have never been to the east coast and do not know anything about the airports there or the ports. i will check out the link you gave me for info on the hotels through priceline :) . can you tell me what cruise line you are refering too? i am in the very early stages of planning the new england/canada cruise and am really confused on what ship to take and itinerary i want to pick.

musicmansmom,

The cruise I am going on is with NCL but it is a special cruise for gay and lesbian's and families. It is a charter by R family vacations, Rosie O'Donnel and her partner Kelli have started this travel agency for gays and their families.

I looked at other cruises and I enjoy cruising with Carnival but they all seem to have same ports.

Good luck on finding your cruise.

ANY of the three airports is a good choice, if it fits your pricing and timeframe. You can get to the ports from any of them. I posted in another thread, but you want to look at midtown east and west locations for the most central and especially if you want a show at night, a must do in my opinion. Then you are walkable from most or a short cab away. To the ship, just take a cab.

Archived