Paint overspray problem in Bayonne (merged)

I don't think they're painting cruise ships. There are Navy ships there (I pass it every day on the Staten Island ferry), this is what i see. During the week there are no cruise ships there, well one day this week the Constellation was in. This happened to us in Aug. 2005 but not in Aug. 2006. Can't believe it's still going on. We got money back from Bayonne Drydock. In Nov. they're moving the Intrepid there to be drydocked, can only imagine what that will bring.

This has been an ongoing problem and I suspect as long as painting continues---it will continue to be a problem as long as the wind is blowing.:)

Personally, now that parking costs $115 for a 7 day cruise, we have chosen to take a roundtrip car service for the total of $200. Fortunately, we live within 45 minutes drive or the fare for car service might be a lot more. Either way, I go on my cruise knowing my car is safe in my garage.

People have also purchased inexpensive car covers with good success.

It's a metalic grit they are using to remove the paint on the ship next to the pier.You can see the work being done as you pull out.

This is very difficult to remove safely unless your cars finish has ample protection prior to the media being imbeded.

Not much you can do except wash the car carefully with dawn in a rather

concentrated solution and then go over it with a clay bar.Even then I'm not sure the clear coat hasn't been permanetly compromised.

It happened to mine the first week in sept.

check the back threads, this is an ongoing problem, I won't cruise there anymore if I have to park .

other than this the cruise was great.

john

Do they make you park right next to the drydock? (We're going to be parking there next week & a car cover won't fit our tahoe). Another person posted that they made him park "outside the fenced in area" next to the road coming in. I thought that they had fenced in security?? I don't know the layout or what to expect. :confused: Also, I heard that a coat of wax beforehand will help keep the grit off?? Thanks.

We got a car cover for our 9/17 sailing and we got nothing that week though some others did report problems. It was definitely worth the 20$ investment but because we did notice a grit on the cover we did throw it out. We will definitely sail out of there again but we won't do it without a car cover.

Sue

We were on the same sailing (Oct 6)and have the same problem. You dont really see it but you can feel it. The worst part is you can't see through the windshield in the rain. I'm planning on calling the dock tomorrow to complain.

We were on the Oct 6 sail, too. It rained yesterday in Massachusetts and my windshield wipers sounded like they were being dragged over sandpaper. Sure enough, lots of little grey spots all over the glass.

And we were in the very first row next to the checkin building (handicapped parking) which is furthest from where the cargo ships are being painted and is next to the building so I had hoped we'd be sparred in a 'shadow'.

Overspray:

I know you said you contacted Bayonne Drydock. I dont know if you used this same number or not, but in the past people have contacted Ken Peterson or Gloria Argul at 201-823-9296 in regards to the paint splash problem. If you have not spoken to them at that number, you may want to try to call them and see if you get better results. Good Luck.

My FMIL leaves on Explorer next week, she is driving to the port. I've seen a few posts about overspray from the shipyard damaging paint jobs. Where is the safest place to park? Is this a common problem ? Do I tell her to get a car cover?

WE didn't have a problem in June whereas others did for the same cruise.

Would I get a car cover next time? Why not?

We just returned from the 7 day cruise to Bermuda on the Zenith. Loved the parking set up at the dock but have to say I hated coming home to a salt-encrusted vehicle. Couldn't figure out why my windshield wipers were making a scraping noise - sure 'nuf, salt over everything. If you can find a cover, buy it no matter the cost. It is worth it!

We returned to Bayonne on 10/20 and found our car covered with overspray from the shipyard! We parked in the 1st row facing the terminal.

Everything we read before we left said that the farther away you are from the shipyard the better. We couldn't have gotten farter away unless we parked in NYC, lmao.

We filled our a claim form with the parking authority and were told that we'd hear from them within 5 days We're waiting till Monday then calling them.

It is paint. Already had the car to the body shop for an estimate and the bill is under $300 to buff it off and have a fresh coat of wax applied.

Writing this as a follow-up to thread written Oct 20, 2006 in reference to paint overspray problem at Cape Liberty Cruise port. We returned from a cruise Oct 6th-15th (Explorer of the Seas) to find our car was coated with paint overspray while parked at the Central Parking systems lot. To date its been (2) weeks since we contacted Ken Peterson @ Bayonne Drydock and we still have not received a return call. We have turned this over to our insurance company who will pursue. Today we just picked up repaired car from auto body shop. The total bill to clean car, wet sand and compound was 37 hours and $ 1,861.00. This does not include auto rental bill of $137.00 for (5) days. We also wrote Royal Caribbean a registered letter making them aware this problem still exists at Cape Liberty. Again to date no reply. I find this amazing that this problem has been allowed to go on for over a year. (See article dated Sept 13, 2005 on Paint Overspray). If you are planning to park at the port maybe you should reconsider until this problem is resolved.

I do not see how this is the Cruise Lines issue. It is the issue of the Port Authority.

Actually the parking area is a separate private company not the Port Authority and it becomes the cruiselines issue when it is the only place to park if you want to drive to the Explorer.

I do not see how this is the Cruise Lines issue. It is the issue of the Port Authority.

The first time its a port issue. The second and beyond its the cruise line who contracts for this pier. Someone needs to make sure it doesn't happen and the cruise line more than you and I can make it so. They should threaten to pull out. This has been going on for over two years and RC said it was fixed. It isn't. BTW the Intrepid will now be docking in the same area as it under goes repairs and RC had to give permission.

It is a cruise line issue because it impacts on their customers and subsequently their bottom line. This is not to say that it is their responsibility to make amends to those whose property is damaged but they would be foolish not to agressively pursue a solution to the problem. After all, the port authority will likely be more responsive to pressure from the cruise line than it will be from a few disgruntled consumers.

Archived