Houston building a "state of the art" cruise terminal?? (Merged threads)

CruisinOnWheels

I am convinced as long as people are willing to FLY to FL and other major port areas from Texas and surrounding states, they will continue to force us to. But just like after 9/11, if there is a HUGE shift in willingness to fly to these major port areas, they will reposition to areas where folks will drive to.

I also think that if the economy continues to suffer in Europe as it has, there will again be a huge shift from there back to the US with the ships.

• 1 month later...

We just cruised outta Fort Lauderdale. Can we say "mess?" The place was packed!!!

When we got off the ship there was great confusion as to where to find a taxi.

There are food places close, but nothing outstanding. Everything was a big walk.

We were not impressed! I love to cruise outta Galveston, (I love Galveston period!) but I do not see the draw for Florida.

Oh yea, the am of the cruise we had to wait 45 minutes for a taxi because there were NINE ships at port.

We just cruised outta Fort Lauderdale. Can we say "mess?" The place was packed!!!

When we got off the ship there was great confusion as to where to find a taxi.

There are food places close, but nothing outstanding. Everything was a big walk.

We were not impressed! I love to cruise outta Galveston, (I love Galveston period!) but I do not see the draw for Florida.

Oh yea, the am of the cruise we had to wait 45 minutes for a taxi because there were NINE ships at port.

Hey, I m also from Decatur! And I, too, love to cruise out of Galveston...I wish Houston was available. I cruised out of Houston several times in the past. My sister and I are leaving Sunday for the TA cruise out of Galveston....Anyhoooooooo, nice to see someone from Decatur!

• 3 weeks later...
If there's some poor financial factor when cruising out of Houston I wish someone in the industry would explain it to us.

I've heard things like the lack of reachable ports of call from Houston but how many San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Martin and Nassau cruises do they have out of Florida? After all, they seem able to reach Key West, Nassau, Freeport, Progress, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Roatan, Belize, Jamaica & Grand Cayman form here.

When we use the argument of all ships sailing full out of Galveston we get back that they price to fill. Like Debe just said, they're giving away Alaska this year and I've seen some real bargains out of Florida and LA.

They talk about the distance from the airport but refuse to recognize that Southwest who flys into Hobby is a major player in all the states bordering Texas. On all the Texas based cruises we've been on the passenger list consisted mainly of residents from these states.

They talk about the lack of pre & post cruise options. Well, I'm a local and they've got me there. Like any local, I take most of these for granted but they do exist.

I think we all know the real reason for the lack of cruising out of Houston. Houston just does not have a national reputation as a vacation destination.

If San Antonio were located on the Gulf Coast, we'd have plenty of cruising options. Look how quickly they were tripping over themselves to get a ship back to new Orleans before it was ready.

I think it's just our national image. What else can it be?

Agree 100%

(Especially the NOLA comment-that didn't work out so well)

We need something.:rolleyes:

Remember, I will make the beans and taters for the BCL! I would be honored to cook for ya'll

Peaches

Hey Ray, I have a good picture of you surrounded by us Red Hats from a few years ago....someday we will buy you another drink, OK?

Remember, I will make the beans and taters for the BCL! I would be honored to cook for ya'll

Peaches

Hey Ray, I have a good picture of you surrounded by us Red Hats from a few years ago....someday we will buy you another drink, OK?

Sounds good to me. That was a fun cruise. I remember it well.:)

Probably naive, but I think Texans and close neighbors could alone support additional ships from Bayport. And I wouldn't care if there were any 'tourist' flashy places in between the trucking and container entrances. I am there just to get on the ship.

I would demand an efficient check-in, parking, and luggage systems though.

Admittedly there is nothing directly adjacent to the Bayport terminal but the terminal itself looks good and there is a prime tourist area at the Kemah Boardwalk only a few minutes south. I'm sure taxis would cover the area offering rides to Kemah pre and post cruise. Johnson Space Center/Space Center Houston is also only a +/-15 minute taxi ride away and would certainly interest some cruisers also.

I agree -- I only need a good check-in-- I would gladly roll my own bag on the ship. In the past- I do think that would be quicker!!

The only thing I need is a clean hotel, and maybe a good place to eat....Taking a week cruise does not allow for a couple of extra days to play!

I had really hoped we would get more ships:(

Probably naive, but I think Texans and close neighbors could alone support additional ships from Bayport. And I wouldn't care if there were any 'tourist' flashy places in between the trucking and container entrances. I am there just to get on the ship.

I would demand an efficient check-in, parking, and luggage systems though.

Sadly, neither Carnival nor any other cruise line feels the same way.

Also, consider that virtually every cruise line sells excursions and such in the port of call... Not much to sell around Bayport other than the aforementioned Kemah Boardwalk...

:rolleyes:

Also, consider that virtually every cruise line sells excursions and such in the port of call... Not much to sell around Bayport other than the aforementioned Kemah Boardwalk...

What about Space Center Houston? or San Jacinto battleground and the battleship Texas? or Gulf Greyhound Park?

What about Space Center Houston? or San Jacinto battleground and the battleship Texas? or Gulf Greyhound Park?

Including Kemah, Space Center Houston, Gulf Greyhound Park you can reach

in half an hour from Galveston.

San Jacinto battleground and the battleship Texas you can reach

in 3/4 hour from Galveston.

It is not uncommon to drive hours for ship tours.

We have driven up to 3 1/2 hours one way and 3 1/2 hours back

on one destination of a ship tour..

Including Kemah, Space Center Houston, Gulf Greyhound Park you can reach

in half an hour from Galveston.

San Jacinto battleground and the battleship Texas you can reach

in 3/4 hour from Galveston.

It is not uncommon to drive hours for ship tours.

We have driven up to 3 1/2 hours one way and 3 1/2 hours back

on one destination of a ship tour..

We were discussing excursion options from the new Bayport facility, not from Galveston.

Sadly, neither Carnival nor any other cruise line feels the same way.

Like someone else replied, surely a tour of NASA/JSC would be popular and what about a tour of Houston itself? It could begin with the bayfront model of the White House in Morgan's Point, include the Orange Show and the Beer Can house and end with a museum/downtown tour. We have hosted a lot of foreign students and visitors and have always taken them on our personal tours of Houston. Most of them have been VERY surprised at all that is available - andhave ended up impressed with Houston as a whole.

We were discussing excursion options from the new Bayport facility, not from Galveston.

Lets work together to sell the area not just one or the other.:confused:

Galveston supports Houston/Clearlake area.

I was promoting Greater Houston/Galveston Ports.

Galveston is an excursion close to Bayport.

ClearLake area is an excursion area close to Bayport, Houston and Galveston.

Houston is an excursion area close to Bayport and Galveston.

More ships and worthy excursions we have in general area, the better for the local Houston /Clear Lake and Galveston area.

We have resort rentals in Galveston.

Guests are from all around the world, US and Texas.

They need info all the time for area.

Last two were from Germany and England.

Whether guests are just Texas coastal visitors or cruisers,

we promote Clearlake area to the guests.

They loved Kemah and Space Center, Houston, Galveston, Hill Country and San Antonio and New Orleans. Its an area thing.

This thread and general issue is not just a Bayport Galveston thing.

Reread it.

Area needs to be a cruise destination from other ports,

not just a departure port.

And area needs to be a general coastal destination for state national and international visitors.

We (area) have a lot to sell and offer in the general area.

Think Macro not Micro and we will feed off each other and grow together.

We can work together to promote Houston/Clearlake/ Galveston area.

There is strength in numbers of attractions.

State officals are here this week acknowledging this!

WE HAVE lots of attractions in the area as a whole. :D

How do we together capitalize on it.

I totally agree, Galveston Cruiser. I think this area, as a whole, does a poor job of promotion. Galveston is doing a much better job than Houston or the Clear Lake area (why Space Center Houston/lodging/restaurants in the area have not gotten together with some means of transportation to offer tours/services to Galveston cruisers puzzles me greatly) but, as you said, someone in each of these areas needs to get their heads out of the sand and promote on a MACRO basis. Houston needs the Galveston cruisers (whatever happens at Bayport) and Galveston needs the Houston airports. Of course, another one of my puzzlements involves the problems with transportation from the airports to the cruise terminals. Someone needs to straighten out that mess and especially require any rental car agencies serving the area to provide adequate levels of service or lose their permit to operate.

I'll now step off my soapbox!

I also agree 100%--

Texas is SUCH diverse and amazing state!! When we travel we always have people asking us if we have horses or cows.. when we say "yes we do" they are amazed..

I think there is alot of promoting of Texas that needs to be done!!

Most place you visit are there for the tourists.. something (or someplace) is made just for the tours to visit.

I also think we could include large ranches to visit..cow workings to visit...horse facilities to visit.. all things of Texas can be included!! I could get out my map and go on for days of stuff to see.

I agree that is it nothing to travel on a bus 3-4 hours just to see a tour of something!!

I think the problem is still how long the ships take to reach the "busier" ports.. The heavily traveled areas are just too far away. Even though, those are the ones I am tired of.. let's hope we get new and exciting ones opened up...shall I go as far and mention "Cuba"???

One additional problem with Bayport is how long it takes to get into open water!!

When I sailed from there on the Conquest it was nearly three hours from sail away 'til we reached the Gulf!

Now, that's nothing compared to the eight or so hours that it takes to reach the Gulf from NOLA but it sure is significant!!!

One additional problem with Bayport is how long it takes to get into open water!!

When I sailed from there on the Conquest it was nearly three hours from sail away 'til we reached the Gulf!

Now, that's nothing compared to the eight or so hours that it takes to reach the Gulf from NOLA but it sure is significant!!!

I understand that that might be a problem for some people but, frankly, once I'm on the ship and it's moving, it could do "donuts" in Galveston Bay and I'd be happy! Need I say that my cruising is done on a "ship" basis and not a port basis?

I totally agree, Galveston Cruiser. I think this area, as a whole, does a poor job of promotion. Galveston is doing a much better job than Houston or the Clear Lake area (why Space Center Houston/lodging/restaurants in the area have not gotten together with some means of transportation to offer tours/services to Galveston cruisers puzzles me greatly) but, as you said, someone in each of these areas needs to get their heads out of the sand and promote on a MACRO basis. Houston needs the Galveston cruisers (whatever happens at Bayport) and Galveston needs the Houston airports. Of course, another one of my puzzlements involves the problems with transportation from the airports to the cruise terminals. Someone needs to straighten out that mess and especially require any rental car agencies serving the area to provide adequate levels of service or lose their permit to operate.

I'll now step off my soapbox!

I agree completely. The whole area promoted as whole. There is not that much distance in between and both have great amenities and things to offer.

This is true. Although I would love to see the Bayport terminal be successful and it's about 15 minutes from my house, the trip out to the Gulf is too long, much rather sail out of Galveston.

Question for Host Mach!

We live in Galveston and don't hear alot about it directly.

Are you hearing what I do hear about continuing improvements in docks here,

and in transportation Houston to Galveston and then Galveston back to Houston.

Or not?????

You should are closer to that than me.

"Need I say that my cruising is done on a "ship" basis and not a port basis?" :D

I feel same about ship basis and just love to cruise.

An observation:

However, if a quicker getaway to Gulf,

means more time in a destination port on port days,

with same time on sea days,

3 to 6 hours can be helpful, depending on what you want to see and do in that port.

I would have loved more time in some ports.

Though sometimes i stay on ship,

or I leave early and come back early or leave late and come back late. More options.

I am all for it.

I hate short days in port along with bad weather days in port.

Love time on ship and to see the world that is worth seeing.

8 Hours from New Orleans?!?! Yikes! That's a looong time!

"Need I say that my cruising is done on a "ship" basis and not a port basis?" :D

I feel same about ship basis and just love to cruise.

An observation:

However, if a quicker getaway to Gulf,

means more time in a destination port on port days,

with same time on sea days,

3 to 6 hours can be helpful, depending on what you want to see and do in that port.

I would have loved more time in some ports.

Though sometimes i stay on ship,

or I leave early and come back early or leave late and come back late. More options.

I am all for it.

I hate short days in port along with bad weather days in port.

Love time on ship and to see the world that is worth seeing.

Can't the ship speed up, or go faster to get into a port on time?

Archived