Houston building a "state of the art" cruise terminal?? (Merged threads)

CruisinOnWheels

I wish Houston and Galveston would have gotten together to improve the Port of Galveston cruise terminals. Again, it took a hurricane (Ike) to cause some improvements. But, gosh darn it, this is Galveston, and it rains a lot. Can't we get a cover over the terminal drop-off area so we and luggage don't get wet when it rains? A joint Houston/Galveston project would have been a win/win for both cities -- Houston for the extra air traffic, and Galveston for an improved port. I bet the new Houston port sits unused for many years.

I have been "ranting" for several years about the missed opportunity that Galveston and Houston had to combine their cruising package. Like you, I can see benefits to both - air traffic and tourism for Houston, more cruise traffic with more reasonable air access for Galveston. Of course, the decision was made by local politicians so we should have known....

e

Anything happening now in either place is a win win

for Galveston and Houston.

Just keep supporting and pushing for something to happen.

Time will allow things to happen.

Greater Houston in the future

will swallow up both ports for cruising,

and swallow up all the area between Houston and Galveston,

and swallow up Clear Lake area

and swallow up Galveston Island as a whole.

It will happen in time.

Same as Austin/SanAntonio..... Dallas/Ft Worth......

St Paul/Minneapolis.

One day we won't recognize it.

The entire area is going to have phenomenal growth

over the next 20 years.

• 2 months later...

Well I did hear that after the NEW ship comes to Galveston that the Conquest will be returning to New Orleans. This came from a current CCL Captain just last week.

So hopefully this means that the Magic's new US port will be Galveston and that the we will still have two full time ships and the Magic half the year. Sounds good to me.

Well I did hear that after the NEW ship comes to Galveston that the Conquest will be returning to New Orleans. This came from a current CCL Captain just last week.

So hopefully this means that the Magic's new US port will be Galveston and that the we will still have two full time ships and the Magic half the year. Sounds good to me.

------------------------------------------------------

Good

Thanks for posting

Now if we can hear from RCCL for 2011/2012

Why would Galveston only have the Magic half the year?

• 2 weeks later...
------------------------------------------------------

Good

Thanks for posting

Now if we can hear from RCCL for 2011/2012

The Voyager will be sailing out of Venice during the summer of 2011. So it won't be sailing out of Galveston year round.

• 2 weeks later...
The Voyager will be sailing out of Venice during the summer of 2011. So it won't be sailing out of Galveston year round.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfganghowell viewpost.gif

We were on the same cruise as Cindy and heard the same information from several crew. Supposedly Voyager is going to San Juan in spring 2011 and Freedom will come to Galveston in fall 2011. We also heard this from someone who is friends with a Port Authority person in Galveston. They are dredging the channel to "make room." Should find out next week.

If Voyager is going to San Juan, then where is Adventure going? I hope the Voyager is not going to San Juan to replace the Serenade :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfganghowell viewpost.gif

We were on the same cruise as Cindy and heard the same information from several crew. Supposedly Voyager is going to San Juan in spring 2011 and Freedom will come to Galveston in fall 2011. We also heard this from someone who is friends with a Port Authority person in Galveston. They are dredging the channel to "make room." Should find out next week.

If Voyager is going to San Juan, then where is Adventure going? I hope the Voyager is not going to San Juan to replace the Serenade :(

Very interesting! There is always a little truth in a rumor but how much.:D

Very interesting! There is always a little truth in a rumor but how much.:D

Yes you are right on!

Well I hope it is true!

We shall be finding out out soon..... when certain itinieries are announced.

My fingers are crossed.

When the Port of Houston Authority planned the Bayport terminal, did they at least have a semi-firm commitment from a cruise line? Even a nibble? Or did they just conclude that (cliche alert) if they built it, the ships would come?

How did Norwegian do when they were sailing out of the Port of Houston's Barbours terminal? How often did they sail full? Seems that if they did reasonably well using a makeshift terminal, they'd want to sail out of a new, barely used facility at Bayport.

Although I'd prefer to sail out of Galveston, I've sailed from Bayport (a week after Ike) and wouldn't hesitate to do so again. As a cruise junkie, I'm glad that Texas has another cruise terminal and the capacity to bring in more ships, but if I were a Houston taxpayer, I'd be royally ticked.

• 3 weeks later...

I just received an email from RCCL stating that Mariner of the Seas would be in Galveston November 2011-April 2012 and Voyager of the Seas will be going to New Orleans for that same season. No mention of Houston/Bayport.

When the Port of Houston Authority planned the Bayport terminal, did they at least have a semi-firm commitment from a cruise line? Even a nibble? Or did they just conclude that (cliche alert) if they built it, the ships would come?

How did Norwegian do when they were sailing out of the Port of Houston's Barbours terminal? How often did they sail full? Seems that if they did reasonably well using a makeshift terminal, they'd want to sail out of a new, barely used facility at Bayport.

Although I'd prefer to sail out of Galveston, I've sailed from Bayport (a week after Ike) and wouldn't hesitate to do so again. As a cruise junkie, I'm glad that Texas has another cruise terminal and the capacity to bring in more ships, but if I were a Houston taxpayer, I'd be royally ticked.

-----------------------------------------------------------

You probably sailed from Bayport only because the ship would fit in there.

The industry is changing!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We heard a brief news clip this evening that cruise ships might be coming back to the Port of Houston. Fabulous. I don't have all the details. I hope that Princess is one of them.

Easy access to both Houston airports and near multiple sites.

• 4 weeks later...
Maybe the Allure would fit after dredging?

Hi Ray! I've been reading your blog. I see you and your wife did a transatlantic. Wasn't it great!!! Bill and I have done four now, and we love going to Europe! Maybe we'll see you two on one one of these days.:)

Mary from Bastrop

Archived