NCL's unkind answer to the customer

Twice-a-year

We had bought the platinum bonus rewards package and used it for an April 2007 Spirit cruise. I first called NCL directly and got a price, then called my TA and got a lower price by $100 pp from the TA. I called NCL back to see if they could match the TA and they COULDN'T.....hard for me to believe...but true. So the TA got the $.:D

It was once explained to me (I cannot vouch for the accuracy) that the price quoted by NCL has a built in commission. When the TA calles NCL they get the same price that NCL quotes you, but part of that price is the comission. For sake of example and easy math let's say the build in comission is $500pp. One TA might be be willing to take only a $400 comission and discount the price by $100, another might take only a $300 comission and discount the price by $200pp.

don;t know if this is true

We had bought the platinum bonus rewards package and used it for an April 2007 Spirit cruise. I first called NCL directly and got a price, then called my TA and got a lower price by $100 pp from the TA. I called NCL back to see if they could match the TA and they COULDN'T.....hard for me to believe...but true. So the TA got the $.:D

I saw this thread earlier and was hoping the OP would come back. In this case as posted I believe NCL did not drop their price. The OP saw a better price online and I think expected NCL to match it. The answer as always no. They really don't care if you book with a TA it keeps their biggest source of revenue happy.

Since nobody can advertise a lower price (they can sell for less) my guess the price they saw was without all the fees. Happens everyday.

No problem Nita-& he did just as I would've. Hope your client has a good cruise and no reason to yell at you when he gets back ;)

-Monte

this guy has been really a jewel, even though they have made changes over the original time they booked: He looks on the net, if he finds things better than I offered he calls me, they changed cruise lines (for good reason, etc) but I really doubt they will give me a rough time. Now, this time last year I had a different situation. One of the few I have ever wanted to forget. LOL

Yes, I would take the original deal as well; the only difference was BA to BB and they are in a super location.

Later,

Nita

I saw this thread earlier and was hoping the OP would come back. In this case as posted I believe NCL did not drop their price. The OP saw a better price online and I think expected NCL to match it. The answer as always no. They really don't care if you book with a TA it keeps their biggest source of revenue happy.

Since nobody can advertise a lower price (they can sell for less) my guess the price they saw was without all the fees. Happens everyday.

ok, smarty pants: why couldn't any of us thought of that? I bet you are right. NMnita

Was NCL customer service anything less than professional to you when you called? I'm sorry, but just because customer service does not agree to what a customer wants does not make them 'unkind'. It's really not fair to NCL to be labeled as such, unless they were rude to you.

ok, smarty pants: why couldn't any of us thought of that? I bet you are right. NMnita

Notice the OP was edited by our Host:) I assume to remove the name of the online agency. I might be wrong but only she can tell us for sure.

Last edited by Host Cecilia : Today at 12:25 AM.

Notice the OP was edited by our Host:) I assume to remove the name of the online agency. I might be wrong but only she can tell us for sure.

I think I recall the details of the original post and I think you nailed it on the button.

you are just too good buddy. I hate it when someone knows more than me. LOL. BTW, no I didn't notice that.

Yep, that is correct;) Saw it last night before I went to bedicon4.gif is what I do if you name another agency:p

BIG NO NO....sometimes I wonder:rolleyes:

They named an agency name and you "triangled". Yet you have an agency name in your signature.

DTTT

PE<---thinks maybe he should "triangle... NOT!!

Nope...I am allowed to do that:D If you notice, my location is not to be found. CC encourages us to make ourselves known.......BECAUSE.......we are supposed to know what we are talking about:eek: :D and give educated answers;)

Was NCL customer service anything less than professional to you when you called? I'm sorry, but just because customer service does not agree to what a customer wants does not make them 'unkind'. It's really not fair to NCL to be labeled as such, unless they were rude to you.

The Customer Service supervisor told me that "you have choices to book your cruise with travel agent, you CHOSE to book directly from us, we have no policy to match the website fare" I then asked for the OBC, she said NO, we do not give OBC either.

It was too late for me to cancel, my cruise date is 11/11/06. If I cancel, I will lost money too.

HELP, I feel very bad. This is my 6th cruise with NCL and many times with other cruiselines. I cruise at least twice a year, never expericen this kind of problem.

The Customer Service supervisor told me that "you have choices to book your cruise with travel agent, you CHOSE to book directly from us, we have no policy to match the website fare" I then asked for the OBC, she said NO, we do not give OBC either.

It was too late for me to cancel, my cruise date is 11/11/06. If I cancel, I will lost money too.

HELP, I feel very bad. This is my 6th cruise with NCL and many times with other cruiselines. I cruise at least twice a year, never expericen this kind of problem.

Why should NCL match what another sells their cruises for? Why should Sears match the price Wallmart charges for anything? I don't recall ever seeing any NCL advertisement saying they will match any price, like you do at some discount retail stores. So why do you wish to hold them to an ad they never made?

Plus, you're way past Final Payment Date.

It's not poor customer service for any company to just say no.

You are correct. The OP is not allowed to mention where she found the lower price. As many of you know, I'll edit if possible and not remove the entire thread. FYI...I am not the person that removed a few threads in the last few days. People with more pull than I have do read every alert and take action if needed.

As for Ann's company name in her signature...that's allowed.

Just a thought;) Loyalty is rewarded. If you book with a TA many times (if you have a good TA) they will "reward" you when something like this happens. No TA wants to lose a "good" client:) Good clients get rewarded even if nothing happens:D

No cruise line will reduce a cruise to match a "discounter". There are "bucket shops" out there that the lines dump cabins at the last minute just to fill them.

You do not need help.......you just need to relax and enjoy your cruise:)

I booked on the Spirit and after I paid my deposit, the price dropped. I called NCL and the woman I dealt with was incredibly rude, and insisted that the price I saw on the website was no longer available. She also said that they had a meeting that morning about customers trying to get reduced prices on their cruise. I was incredibly irritated, since this will be my 11th cruise with NCL. I suggested that I could cancel the reservation and rebook at the lower price and she insisted I would lose money that way -- I reminded her that my final payment wasn't due for 5 days... of course she disagreed with me. I was not a happy camper... 2 days later, I went on the website and again, the price was lower. I called NCL again and once again, they tried to tell me I had a better deal. I pointed out what was on the website and what I paid, and the light bulb finally went on. She said "you are right". Yippeee! anyway, the cost of the cruise was lowerd by $100 per person and she sent me a confirmation of the final amount due. Moral of the story --- it pays to call more than once!

I called back one more time. The rep told me that I have to cancel my booking and rebook, including pay penalty too. I asked to speak to a supervisor, I got a different supervisor this time. I explained the situation and she agreed to make the different with onboard credit. :)

Archived