Breakfast place in Glaveston to watch the Cruise Ships come in?

CruisinOnWheels

Howdy....

First ever cruising couple going on the Rhapsody 12/3..

We are planning on coming into galveston the morning of 12/3 and hoping to find a waterfront place where we can watch and take pics of the ships into port that morning...

Any suggestions? We do also need a wheelchair accessible place...

There are no places to eat breakfast that will provide a view of the cruise ships or the terminal in Galveston. Landry's Oyster Bar, Willy G's, and Joe Crab Shack are the only places to eat that provide some but limited view of the ship channel, but they are not open until around 11:00am.

Landry's Oyster Bar has an outside deck with a 100% view of the channel, ships and terminal. They are located under the Harbor House Hotel.

You might be interested in the Galveston sunrise & sunset times for December 2006 per www.timeanddate.com. I hope the following link will work for you:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=494&month=12&year=2006&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

Kat 070106YA43_prv.gif

I stayed at Harbor House one time when I had a group, I was up watching the ships pull in and it was around 5-530a. Also been on the Rhapsody and usually am up early on that last day, about 6 am and she is usually in port already.

Now in May she was late so didnt pull in till around 10 ish so definately got to see her pull in then!

It is cool to watch as the pull in and spin the ship around to back into their spot. I have some great photos of her making the turn.

Maybe she is coming in a bit later now.

Hi Fellow Cruisers:

We're finishing our 3 day weekend in Galveston. Some Galveston updates:

1. Landry's Oyster Bar closed 2 months ago, according to the parking cashier lady at the adjacent parking lot.

2. If you liked Landry's prices, but can forego the view, go to Shrimp and Stuff for great food (39th and "O"). You won't get the view, nor the tourist prices. We eat there now, and at the pier, too.

3. Rhapsody came into the Port of Galveston 6 hours late yesterday, with a tugboat pushing her front port side, and a second tugboat tied to her stern. The 800 phone number RCCI rep said yesterday that she had speed problems. Other cruisers on her posted that she had a generator problem. She did a quick turnaround, and left the pier around 6 pm (5 pm was the posted departure), and she seemed to be leaving at normal speed.

4. We've watched both Conquest and Rhapsody come into port in the morning 5:45 am last February, and the only place open for food was Starbucks at 22nd and Harborside (they open at 5 am!).

Have a great time planning your trips. Hope the Harbor cam gets up and running soon.

Bob from Dallas / Ft. Worth

I watched the ships come in when in Galveston this past June and July, and a week ago Sunday (Oct 1st) while staying at the Harbor House prior to boarding the Rhapsody. On each of those 3 ocassions, the ships were pulling in around 5:20-5:40am. Of course, the generator problems caused Rhapsody to lose speed and therefore arrive 5+ hours late last Sunday.

There is no restaurant at the Harbor House. The seafood places nearby will not be open at 5 or 6 am. We did go to Starbucks for coffee but you really can't get a good view from there. I suppose you could pick up your coffee and a roll there and go to the Harbor House area and watch that way while you eat...

Archived