Which Restaurant?

Jfultz81

We are wanting good seafood for decent prices and don't know where to go.. I keep hearing about the same three, so can you tell me which one you would go to?

1) Schooner Wharf

2) Turtle Kraals

3) Conch Republic

I'm wanting a place that I can view the menu online to see if the prices are reasonable and that its a place that has something everyone will like. Thanks!

In my opinion, none of the above.

Schooner Wharf was cited for rodents in the kitchen a few months ago and even refused to close for clean up, causing quite a confrontation. Great place for drinks and music.

Turtle Kraals and Conch Republic are real spotty from day to day and we recently got a bad review of The Kraals on this board.

I would choose The Half Shell Raw Bar for the best in seafood at a reasonable price. Also good, but more expensive is Alonzo's Oyster Bar.

I am sure others will have their favorites.

Have a great visit.

Mike

Schooner Wharf is more of an outdoor bar and I recommend people go for the waterfront atmosphere, drinks and maybe lunch but not for dinner.

We like Conch Republic, Kelly's and Alonzo's. I don't think Alonzo's is more expensive, but their other restaurant upstairs (A&B Lobster House) is. Haven't been to Half Shell Raw Bar but have heard it's good. We went to Turtle Kraals once and won't go back. There are lots of other great places for seafood that are pretty expensive (Seven Fish, etc).

If you want to venture on a longer walk or short cab ride, the food at Camille's can't be beat.

Half Shell Raw Bar- forget the rest! There's something for everyone and the food is great.

WeBeGone could not be more accurate in my opinion.

You won't catch a local in Kelly's or at Conch Republic and any place (Crabby Dick's) that has a hawker on the street trying to drag people into their establishment . . . .well, that just speaks for itself.

You might get lucky occasionally; but don't rely on it.

Mike:)

I don't eat seafood so I can't recommend anything for you, but there are a ton of sample menus listed here:

http://keywestmenu.com/menus.htm

I agree with the others about Schooner Wharf Bar -- great place for drinks, entertainment & atmosphere, and we always go there but we don't go for the food.

Have a great time! We'll be in Key West for 6 nights, 18 days from now (yes, I'm counting down)!

This place has the best and freshest seafood! I've had great stone crab, shrimp, oysters, etc.

It's very, very casual and not too far from the dock!

The last time I was there we watched a manatee swim around while eating!

Kappy:D

If you're in town on a Wed-the Half Shell has All You Can Eat King Crab for $15.95. They start serving crab at 6 but you need to be there by 5:30 if you don't want to wait an hour for a table! There are no reservations.

Next door to Half Shell is Monty's-great seafood salad and a nice atmosphere.

Best place for scenery is "Salute"at Higgs Beach-wonderful Italian food and you are literally on the beach.

we are proabably heading for Crabby Dicks--how far is it from where the ship docks near the Hilton--whixh way do you walk? Has anyone also tried Alices for brunch--our ship is there for a very short stay!....

Sorry - ended too soon.

Crabby Dick's is quite a walk from the pier. The pier is at the far end of the western end of Duval and Crabby Dick's is towards the end of the eastern end of Duval.

Key West is only 2 miles x 4 miles, so nothing is too far though.

Kappy

There is only one buffet that I know of in all of Key West and I wouldn't eat there for a million bucks. It's on Duval and has "sample dishes" displayed . Don't know the name. Stay far far away from that place. It has a bad reputation with us locals.

Re elevators - if the ONLY dining is on the second floor (and I think there are only 2- Crabby's Dick's and Hot Tin Roof ), then there is an elevator. If the dining is on both floors, then no elevator.

I agree with Monty's and the Half Shell. Depending on how formal you would like it, tho, BO's Fishwagon in the front of the Waterfront Market is always good - great fish sandwiches. We also love to get an assortment at the Waterfront and find a place like Fort Zach to picnic.

we will only be in port for a short period--it will be for brunch, not dinner & then back to the ship--any other ideas--is there a place called Alice's still there? They had a nice brunch menu--

You bet Alice is still here and has a great brunch.

Mike:)

Archived