Travel Insurance and "Pre-existing medical"

I booked a cruise leaving mid April, 2007 last Saturday. I have read the thread on this board that says I must buy travel insurance within 2-3 weeks of initial booking. I booked directly with Princess Cruises and they said I can cancel up to 1-30-07 with no loss of money. Why should I buy insurance now? My DH has non-insulin dependent diabetes and hypertension. As of right now, I'm healthy. Can someone simply explain this reason re: "pre-existing medical" for purchasing now? I asked Princess to not include the insurance, but when we rec'd our confirmation they included it anyhow. I can always cancel this.

I also checked out the www.insuremytrip site and only got more confused when they asked me to fill in an amount for "medical". I guess I'm just ignorant regarding this. I hope someone can help. We do wish to purchase some sort of insurance as one never knows what can happen 6+ months from now. Thanks in advance.

. Why should I buy insurance now? My DH has non-insulin dependent diabetes and hypertension. As of right now, I'm healthy. Can someone simply explain this reason re: "pre-existing medical" for purchasing now? I asked Princess to not include the insurance, but when we rec'd our confirmation they included it anyhow. I can always cancel this.

I also checked out the www.insuremytrip site and only got more confused when they asked me to fill in an amount for "medical".

first i would never buy insurance from the cruiseline or my travelagent--

you buy insurance because your medical conditions can change --- a member of your immediate family could get sick and you have to cancel your cruise---------------if something happens to you after you make your final payment the cruiseline will not give you your money back if you have to cancel

if you should get sick or have an accident in a foreign country the insurance will pay for you to be med-evaced to a hospital instead of being confined in a 3rd world country

there is a phone numbe on the insure my trip site and i suggest that you call it and talk to a live operator who will be able lto address your concerns

I booked a cruise leaving mid April, 2007 last Saturday. I have read the thread on this board that says I must buy travel insurance within 2-3 weeks of initial booking. I booked directly with Princess Cruises and they said I can cancel up to 1-30-07 with no loss of money. Why should I buy insurance now? My DH has non-insulin dependent diabetes and hypertension. As of right now, I'm healthy. Can someone simply explain this reason re: "pre-existing medical" for purchasing now? I asked Princess to not include the insurance, but when we rec'd our confirmation they included it anyhow. I can always cancel this.

I also checked out the www.insuremytrip site and only got more confused when they asked me to fill in an amount for "medical". I guess I'm just ignorant regarding this. I hope someone can help. We do wish to purchase some sort of insurance as one never knows what can happen 6+ months from now. Thanks in advance.

Your husband's medical conditions puts him at a greater risk for your cruise to be cancelled for a medical reason. The odds are higher that the insurance company will have to pay the claim. If you buy now, they are more willing to accept the risk than if you wait.

If your husband has a heart attack while you are on the ship or out of the country the costs to fly home are huge. $20,000+.

I have higher risk medical conditions and always purchase the most inclusive coverage I can by reviewing the plans at www.insuremytrip.com I don't want my wife or me to have to deal with any of the financial hassles or debts that may develop if something happens to either one of us. The emotional issues will be bad enough.

Insurance coverage will also cover an accident, illness (flu, cold, etc.) two days before you leave, if you miss your flight, or trip getting out of the taxi at the pier and have to go to the hospital and miss embarkation.

You know what I have always bought the insurance from insuremytrip and kept thinking why...but I have elderly parents and always did just incase...well this time I just may be very thankful....because we've made our final payment...and almost 2 weeks ago we found out my dad has cancer they give him 2-4mths to live..they can't do any treatments that would kill him...so if I have to cancile I am so thankful that I did always get the insurance....will now always get for sure because you never know what is going to happen...

Insurance as its name does imply to insure you against losses of time, money, and loved ones.

Most have baggage flights medical is vital and pre-existing is too.

The firms credit rating I always look at remeber just a while ago when the cruise line went out and they had been selling service policies which also became worthless...

That why always look more at companies not part of a cruise line or t agent/agency...

Comparison shopping I always do to get the best firm rates and benefits as well.

I just paid for our trip in October now coming up and the November one as well for all of us.

The firm I used is A+ rated , *****yes that the top rating and has Pre Existing Medical Coverages.. I am the youngest in my group .

When you buy a policy make sure it is for all your group as well that way your all covered in the policy...

One very important benefit I have noticed nobody says is the policy is in effect the time you pay for it in full till the day you return!

So yes extra coverages for you and your group.

Medicare/Medicaid is not covered out of the USA.. Auto Mobile Club of America (AAA) is not an insurance Company.. yes a lot of people are caught up with out coverages and it does cost a lot more for the same services out of our country too. The firm we used also is in the UK and AUS as well so they are helping a lot of people worldwide.

I do hope your cruise goes well and may you have a good time doing it.

But whatever policy you do buy always read it in full.:cool:

You don't have to fill out the part about "medical" amounts on the front screen. I always leave it blank, thus more choices are available on the summary screen. You can then see the different policies and how to what amount they differ. If I see something in the policy summary for a policy that I would not want, I "remove" the policy from the screen. I keep doing this until I am left with one choice...Decision made.

I am in the process of filling out claim forms right now for my last cruise. I had been on the cruise ship for 2 hours when my husband called me to inform me of the sudden death of my sister. I was numb & in a total state of shock. Disney was wonderful!! They had me off the ship and onto a plane in a matter of hours. My luggage was FedEx'd home-

The only rocky point is- they want invoices for everything. I didn't book this cruise- so am depending on my friend to get all the info for me. She is doing a great job of it. The other nasty part is that they want a copy of the death certificate. I hated to ask my BIL or nieces- but I did and did get a copy of it.

Will see shorty how well it all works out. I would pay the world to get my sister back- but it is comforting to know that at least all the money I paid for that 11 day cruise is not totally gone.

Archived