The Spotless Fleet

NapTown Jim

Going from a book recomendation I saw last week in the Features section of Cruise Critic I decided to order Steven Card's "Holland America Line: The Spotless Fleet" and also "Cunarder" in a package deal with Harbor Hill Maritme Books here.... http://http://www.catskill.net/~purple/carmania.htm

They're a little on the expensive side because they're published in the UK and the dollar is getting weaker against the pound...but they are well worth it. These books arrived on my door step yesterday and I gotta say they are fantastic! :)

My main question is what does "M.N.I." stand for? Also, will Mr. Card do works on the old French Line with such find subjects as the Normandie & France?

When you finish will you correspond about your reading? I too, had written this book down, but at $70. that is a little above my budget....maybe I need to ask for it as a BD or Christmas Present! Let us know.

Linda

We have this book and postively love it. We leaf through it all the time.

We've admired Stephen's work on all the ships for years and to now have this fabulous volume of all his paintings that hang on HAL ships is a treasure for us.

Anyone who admires his work aboard the ship would love having The Spotless Fleet, I would think.

In February 2005, Author/Artist Stephen Card came on board the Prinsendam in Sydney, Australia and placed a copy of Cunarder in the library of the Neptune Lounge. We were not in a suite on that cruise, so did not have Neptune Loounge privileges, but the social hostess was kind enough to obtain the book for me for a few days. Captain Card had been posting on my world cruise thread, so I was very interested in seeing his book. We had been admiring his paintings in the aft stairwell, so were familiar with his works. After the cruise I did obtain a copy of the book. i haven't ordered Spotless Fleet, yet... we were hoping to buy it onboard on our cruise on Noordam, but didn't see it in the shops.

Here's what I wrote about "Cunarder" on my World Cruise thread:

Grumpy reviews "Cunarder"

Grumpy is happy to report that "Cunarder" has been returned to its place in the Neptune with no visable damage from being handled by the unwashed masses... He's a bit sad about having to return it though... It would look quite elegant on the coffee table back home alongside the autographed edition of Kerry Hallem prints... Just might have to order a copy. Hopefully, it won't cost as much as the Kerry Hallem... Grumpy bought an original painting to get the book.

"Cunarder" is a selection of Stephen Card's paintings of ships that were built for Cunard or were acquired and sailed under the Cunard flag. The 40 full page prints of more than 30 Cunard ships would be worth acquiring if that were all that was in the book, but there is so much more. Each full color print is accompanied by a "biographical sketch" of the life of the ship. The narrative tells where the laying of the keel occurred, where the ship was outfitted, information on the propulsion systems, passenger capacities, crew compliment, sea trial information and much information about the significant events in the life of the ship and much more. This information is not presented in tabular form as one might expect, but rather is presented in a very conversational way that is very easy to read. Problems that were encountered during construction are mentioned. Details of recordbreaking transatlantic crossings, significant events at sea, wartime service, and final disposition, for those vessels no longer under the Cunard flag are told. Volumes could be written and in many cases have been written about any one of these great vessels. Stephen has done a masterful job of condensing so much information into just a couple of pages.

There are several prints that show more than one ship. In some cases, another Cunard ship will be shown, sometimes a tug, tender or supply boat is nearby and in some there are ships flying other flags. In deference to the HAL enthusiasts, or perhaps to increase his customer base, Stephen has chosen to include a painting of the Queen Elizabeth at Southampton Ocean Dock in the 1950's. He just happened to pick a day that another well known ship, the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam of 1938, was sailing away from the dock. Sneaky, Stephen...

Stephen strives for technical accuracy in his paintings as well as historical accuracy although he does admit to one glaring blunder in historical accuracy in one of his QE2 paintings. Rather than detail it here, you'll have to read the book for yourself to find out.

In addition to the paintings, there are 16 sketches included. Some are full page such as the ones inside the covers and on the facing pages. Some are smaller sketches in a "graphics box" surrounded by the narrative.

There is a separate section on the Queen Mary 2. In addition to Stephen's paintings, there is a two page tabulation of the technical data, 15 photographs of the ship during various stages of construction and during sea trials, and a 10 page narrative Maurizio Eliseo, marine surveyor and maritime historian, and the senior public area inspector during construction.

"Cunarder" places a lot of information before the reader, more than one would expect in a volume of only 175 pages. It is a pleasure to read the narratives and to be able to view so much of Stephen's work in one place is a magnificent experience. Most of us will be anxiously awaiting the publication of the HAL sister volume.

MNI stands for "Member of the Nautical Institute".

It's a great book. I need not say more about it as it has already been covered in detail above.

At $70 it is not cheap but then, "Cunarder" was $75 when it was first published! (Now it's $70 to match "The Spotless Fleet".)

I was going to recommend "The Spotless Fleet" for the books feature but our editor beat me to it! So, my first recommendation was "Cruise Ships: An Evolution in Design", also excellent (but totally different).

Of course, there will be more to come (the book feature will be continuously updated with more books that we like as time goes on).

Of course, Card fans should also consider his two other books - "Cunarder" and "The Queen of Bermuda and the Furness-Bermuda Line". (Yes, I have all three, and two Card prints - can you tell I like his work ;) ?) "Cunarder" is just like "The Spotless Fleet" but with Cunard ships, while "The Queen of Bermuda" is not a book of paintings but rather, as the name suggests, a history of that ship and her owners.

To the person who asked if Stephen has done any French Line work... Indeed he has! You can in fact buy a FRANCE print here. I have two of these prints, really like them and in fact I am featuring them in the segment of our Holiday Gift Guide that I am writing later this month.

We too have the book "The Spotless Fleet" I love it. The one thing I found myself doing is relooking at it before we go on a new ship to see what his painting will be of that ship when we get on board. Of course I know the Oosterdam and Ryndam one visually by heart but I looked up the Veendam one before we left and now I will be relooking at the book for the Zaandam since we will be on her in less than 6 weeks. It is now one of the things I do for the Pre Cruise;)

Archived