Cruise Passenger's Brawl in Bermuda

FIRELT5

This artcle describes some bothersome matters.

1. A guy is hospitalized with a broken jaw as a result of a physical battering by two others, and now has to suffer the cost, pain and agony of hospitalization while on holiday in Bermuda. The "crack" Crown justice team fines the perps $1,000 and send them on their way. The money goes to the Crown, and their excuse for the gentle tap on the wrist is "a non-custodial sentence would save taxpayers 'a considerable sum of money.'”

Great resolution.

2. Given that this is the way the Crown handles assault and battery against it's tourist guests, it's clear that anyone dumb enough to go to Bermuda without a bodyguard or weapon is on his own with no protection.

Sad situation.

----------------------

I wonder what the Crown would do if the victim were killed, not just seriously injured. Would they do the same thing?

This is disgusting and makes me very leery about ever going back to Bermuda. Even in dangerous tourist places like Egypt and Israel I have a better shot at some government protection against violent assault than I have in Bermuda.

I disagree with SOW: you go anywhere in the world, even your own town, and drink with strangers, you take on the possibility of things getting out of hand.

I didn't read the whole article, because once I got to the part about "meeting at a club", and "once outside the pub", I figured it was more drunk men beating on each other.

JMO

Sounds to me like these guys were all buddies and ended up in a drunken disagreement. I don't blame Bermuda for not wanting to spend the money to jail the winners of this battle, being as how they are not Bermudians.

The cruise ship should have refused to board them for the rest of the trip home and made all three fly. That's my opinion. If you are all drunk, you deserve the consequences of your actions.

Guest nhrich

Did anyone even read the article? They were sentenced to 90 days in jail.

Michael Donovan and Joseph Pontieri looked dismayed as Senior Magistrate Archibald Warner said visiting guests and victims should be treated the same as locals and jailed them for 90 days each in Her Majesty’s Westgate Correctional Facility.

This artcle describes some bothersome matters.

1. A guy is hospitalized with a broken jaw as a result of a physical battering by two others, and now has to suffer the cost, pain and agony of hospitalization while on holiday in Bermuda. The "crack" Crown justice team fines the perps $1,000 and send them on their way. The money goes to the Crown, and their excuse for the gentle tap on the wrist is "a non-custodial sentence would save taxpayers 'a considerable sum of money.'”

Great resolution.

2. Given that this is the way the Crown handles assault and battery against it's tourist guests, it's clear that anyone dumb enough to go to Bermuda without a bodyguard or weapon is on his own with no protection.

Sad situation.

----------------------

I wonder what the Crown would do if the victim were killed, not just seriously injured. Would they do the same thing?

This is disgusting and makes me very leery about ever going back to Bermuda. Even in dangerous tourist places like Egypt and Israel I have a better shot at some government protection against violent assault than I have in Bermuda.

Sow There,

You should read the article again. The two defendants were not fined $1000 and sent on their way. Their defense counsel suggested the prosecution would not oppose a suspended sentence and a fine. He suggested a fine of $1000. Defense counsel also was the person who suggested that a non-custodial sentence would save taxpayers a considerable sum of money.

However, the court sentenced the defendants to an immediate sentence of 90 days in jail. The article notes that the defendants "looked dismayed as Senior Magistrate Archibald Warner said visiting guests and victims should be treated the same as locals and jailed them for 90 days each in Her Majesty’s Westgate Correctional Facility." The article also notes:

"Sentencing Pontieri and Donovan to three months months in prison, Mr. Warner said that only an immediate custodial sentence was appropriate, warning: 'This is a serious assault against a guest visitor.'

“'They must be kept safe from all visitors or locals alike and treated just like the residents.'”

They got what they deserved. You commit a crime, you pay the price. Why would anyone not want to go to Bermuda because of this incident? These were Americans involved, not Bermudians. Crime happens everywhere, it's a fact of life - but, that doesn't mean that you let it ruin your enjoyment of life. Perhaps I'm missing something here?

Patty

:confused: The headline in the Royal Gazette says "American men jailed for fighting". The article says the magistrate sentenced them to 90 days in jail. The ongoing discussion seems to be about the defense attorney's opinion not the actual sentence, which apparently the defense plans to appeal.

Perhaps you misunderstood. The judge threw them in jail for 3 months--he did not send them home with a paltry fine.

And, good for him. These men definitely deserved jail time, and should be treated like anyone else inflicting bodily injury on another. This kind of behavior should not be tolerated anywhere, and, Mel Gibson or no, ex-Senator Foley or no, alcohol is not responsible for bad behavior, people are.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

What does Bermuda have to do with two drunk Americans getting into a fight? Jeez, if that was the case most of us wouldn't be living in this country, have you watches the news lately? Seems that judges in this country have been passing light sentences too, especially to celebrities. Bermuda officials probably did the best they could considering that Americans make-up a lot of their tourists and probably would not want to antogonize them. Bermuda is still one of the safest places to go on vacation. Sailed there 14 times!

If a person can't hold their alcohol, they should stay away from it. If you take up with people you don't know, you take your own risks. No sympathy from me.

Good for the Bermudan judge. Let us hope these three all learned a lesson.

I feel the same way.

OP and Sow apparently shoot first, read later...

This was a 90 day sentence plus large fine...

What would they get in LA Sow? Land of OJ and Robert Blake....

The OP didn't make a statement, just posted the Article !!!!

Try using your good eye :)

I, for one am applauding for the Judge. Good for him for making them responsible for their actions while under the influence. There is too much today where people go out and drink too much and end up hurting or killing others because of it. After they are sober, they say they are "sorry" and they "didn't mean for it to happen", but those words dont bring back loved ones that were killed or give the guy back his ruined vacation from the injuries. Letting them go and giving them a fine and/or making them pay restituions is not going to teach these guys anything, it is only going to give them a good story to tell at the next bar fling about how easy they got out of a tough scrape. We were always raised with "Experience is the Best Teacher". Well, a 3 month Experience in jail is going to teach these two alot more then a fine and "walking" would have taught them. The judge has my vote, lets bring him over to the U.S.A. we need more like him.

Did anyone even read the article? They were sentenced to 90 days in jail.
Mea culpa. (That's Latin for Oops, I Goofed.)

I admit to reading the article quickly and letting my "oh, here's another miscarriage" gene activate.

90 days for breaking a jaw is still pitiful, but a darn site better than a walk.

Based on a really careful reread and understanding what really, really happened, please let me quote my favorite philosopher Rosanne Rosanna Danna (Lily Tomlin), "Never mind!"

Mea culpa. (That's Latin for Oops, I Goofed.)

Based on a really careful reread and understanding what really, really happened, please let me quote my favorite philosopher Rosanne Rosanna Danna (Lily Tomlin), "Never mind!"

Gilda Radner, not Lily Tomlin.

Archived