Have I made a mistake?

terrierjohn

I have sailed on both lines and to answer the question- NO- you shouldn't switch to Princess. You will love the Millenium. It was my second favorite cruise. The first being on the Constellation. But both were wonderful ships. I am booked on Millenium July 24th (Europe). Have a wonderful time and don't give it a second thought.

Reasons why I prefer Celebrity in general- ships have so much glass to enjoy the views. The service is impeccible. The staterooms are lovely. The food exceptional. The buffet is huge and good selections. There are lots of free beverages- juices, lemonade, good coffee.

Feeling of spaciousness, open, airy.

Great walking track. Wonderful heated adults only pool (free).

Great island night deck party. Wonderful midnight buffet presentation.

Quiet areas to relax during the day.

Fellow passengers are well traveled, very nice.

Best kids program at sea besides Disney.

The list goes on and on...

Have just booked our first Celebrity cruise, Millenium in Feb., but after reading some CC reviews, and comments on this board, I wonder if I should have stayed with Princess?:confused:

Hello !

I think you should give Celebrity, and Millennium a try. We have been on many sailings, and have been very happy with Celebrity. Millennium is a great ship. I would worry about the reviews at all. For any of the bad you may hear, you will also hear many more good things.

Stick with Millennium. I doubt you will be disappointed. Enjoy your Cruise !

I was curious about what reviews that you had read that were bad. I went to the Cruise Review site and the professional review gave it 4.5 stars, passenger reviews gave Millenium a 4.7 (on a five point scale) and the CDC score was 100 (for ship cleanliness). So I don't know where you heard bad things about the Millenium. The only thing I agree with is that the beds aren't the "best" ever- not like a cloud but certainly not uncomfortable. I slept like a baby.

I was curious about what reviews that you had read that were bad. I went to the Cruise Review site and the professional review gave it 4.5 stars, passenger reviews gave Millenium a 4.7 (on a five point scale) and the CDC score was 100 (for ship cleanliness). So I don't know where you heard bad things about the Millenium. The only thing I agree with is that the beds aren't the "best" ever- not like a cloud but certainly not uncomfortable. I slept like a baby.

Just back from the 9-23 Millennium cruise and the beds are all new. They were very comfortable. The service was great!

Or should I say, "Me mum is from Riddlesden Keighley"- love that Yorkshire dialect!

RL, I'm from Huddersfield, but are you being shy because you don't say?

To everyone else, thanks for the comments it's good to know the Celebrity cruisers are just as loyal as those on the Princess board. J

If at their discretion they think I violated their alcohol policy I could be put off the ship and return would be at my expense. This sucks and I may just forefit my deposit as I don't want some Greek security officer deciding my fate. Nor do I want someone going thru my luggage. I agree to Homeland security opening my bags to look for weapons and bombs but not some flunky of X looking for liquor. You still can't bring wine on board without their permission but if you manage to do so they can now charge $25 corkage. When it was legal they only charged $15. I am not looking forward to this cruise and these policies were adopted after I booked my cruise and I never received any document from them with updated rules.

Who are these latest people kidding.... We have only been on 2 X cruises and have loved them both:Millennium's Eastern and Constellation's Southern. The food, service and ships were wonderful. Although we liked Millennium better than Constellation, I would not hesitate to try ANY of their ships. In fact we have planned another cruise on Millennium for next winter.

The liquor policy doesn't impact us and, while i can see people not liking the new policy, I CAN'T see how people would let the lack of cheap (carried on)booze ruin a vacation.

No, you did not make a mistake. You WILL have a wonderful time.

After reading many threads, trying to decide which line to take, I would have to admit that I would be worried about the number of problems reported about the ships and the lack of concern for customers. These boards can be a great source of information and I will continue to learn more, from each new thread. For myself a cruise is a large investment and I expect to receive value for what I spend.

Celebrity is my favorite cruise line so far ( I am trying Oceania this January). In any event, I have been on five Celebrity cruises and all were stellar. You will have a great time.

Yes, the drink prices are higher on Celebrity. I bought a bottle of wine at dinner (a good one) for 29 dollars including gratuity. I don't see where bringing your own on board is a big issue. Most lines limit the number you can bring on but for arguments sake- say you bring 10 for a 10 night cruise. Just for argument's sake. Then you pay $ 15.00 (the going rate on some lines) for corkage. I imagine if the wine is so fantastic- you probably paid at minimum 15 dollars per bottle- if not 64 dollars per bottle. Each night you are spending any where from 30-79 per bottle to drink your own wine or you can drink perfectly good wine for $ 29 including gratuity per bottle and not have to pack it and bring it with you on your trip.

I think people are arguing this to death and if people are that concerned about bringing their own wine and/or alcohol- maybe Celebrity just isn't the right line for you.

This thread seems to be getting a little off course...

I haven't sailed Princess but have sailed Celebrity. Remember, what is one mans pleasure is another mans pain! I can't remember the proper phrase, but I think you get my drift. Go with an open mind and I'm sure you will enjoy.

Bev

if people are that concerned about bringing their own wine and/or alcohol- maybe Celebrity just isn't the right line for you.

What an incredible thing to say...perhaps people who think that Celebrity should just increase the price of everything on board and that it should make up whatever rules it wants to in order to increase revenue are too rich or simply not astute enough to know when they're being ripped off. I don't think that the people who have standards and expect them to be met are "unworthy" of cruising or Celebrity, but Celebrity is certainly becoming less and less worthy of the blind loyalty that many posters on this board exhibit on a regular basis. Cruising represents a substantial expense for most of us, and with that in mind we'd like the experience to be as good as possible. Bringing my own wine onboard is not my thing but I recognize that its important to many cruisers and X's policies are simply depriving them of that ability so they can make more money. I know that many posters are incapable of seeing anything wrong with Celebrity's continuing quest to drive us to other lines with their petty policies, but do the rest of us a favor and let X justify its greed without your support, and without attacking those with whom you disagree.

Oh my if that was an attack! I wasn't attacking anyone, just pointing out the obvious.

I think that people are making a federal case over a corkage fee, and bringing on alcohol on board- what one bottle of wine? It is wine for goodness sake, not something truly important. And in the end- how much money are you going to save by bringing on one bottle of wine? Maybe 20 dollars. And with the new air restrictions- what's the point? Just splitting hairs here.

Have just booked our first Celebrity cruise, Millenium in Feb., but after reading some CC reviews, and comments on this board, I wonder if I should have stayed with Princess?:confused:

We've cruised Princess, HAL, RCI, Celebrity and a few others. Think Celebrity is great. Haven't had a bad cruise on either Celebrity, Princess, or HAL. Go ahead and give Celebrity a try. I'm pleased to hear that the Millie has new bedding, since we'll be on her for 16 nights for the Transatlantic in November. Enjoy!

Archived