How common is motion sickness

Just be careful of how much of the motion sickness medicine you take. You might want to start with just half a tablet and see how you feel. If my daughter takes a whole tablet, she feels worse. One half and she's great.

I get motion sickness very easily. I can't ride on amusement park rides, including the lame rides such as the merry-go-round, and have trouble with some excursion boats such as the snorkel boat. I get motion sickness from snorkeling and washing windows.

That said, I have never gotten any motion sickness on any of the cruises I have been on. I have never encountered hurricane type weather on a ship, that might be another story. The stabizers on these large ships do a great job of controlling the movement. It feels more like a soothing rocking than anything else. I find the slight movement very relaxing.

I'd say to stay away from any drugs unless you really start to feel sick....everytime I've been on a cruise w/first timers they haven't ever gotten seasick, and a few of them get motion sick everywhere else except on cruises. JMO

Laura

I am prone to car sickness and cannot ride amusement park rides. I have rarely, if ever, been sea sick. The closest I have been was on Song of America when we were skirting a hurricane and ship was rocking from side to side and front to back, so much that the pools emptied. The one thing I always do is take a less drowsy Dramamine about 1 hour before the ship leaves port. This holds me over while I get my sea legs and my body adjusts to any movement of the ship. As mentioned in one of the above posts, the larger the ship, the less movement you will feel. The larger ships now have stabilizers that help lessen the rockin' and rollin'. You could always take a pack of ginger snaps and that should take care of any problems you may encounter.

Despite all the advice of one does this another takes that, if this is your 1st cruise and you dont know how you will react to motion, take along a couple of different suggested remedies just in case. I see people who have the patch behind the ear even before they board. Just dont get caught short. The ships usually carry some at least 2X what you would pay in your local drug store, and if the weather is bad, they sell out in a hurry. so go prepared and I hope you never have to use them:)

I get motion sickness very easily. I can't ride on amusement park rides, including the lame rides such as the merry-go-round, and have trouble with some excursion boats such as the snorkel boat. I get motion sickness from snorkeling and washing windows.

That said, I have never gotten any motion sickness on any of the cruises I have been on. I have never encountered hurricane type weather on a ship, that might be another story. The stabizers on these large ships do a great job of controlling the movement. It feels more like a soothing rocking than anything else. I find the slight movement very relaxing.

This goes ditto for me! But if you are worried take some Bonine because unlike Dramamine you can take it AFTER you start to feel sick and it will work. Wristbands do work for motion sickness but must be tight to do the job and can get irritating if worn for long periods! I usually take something with me but to use for car rides and small boats on excursions.

I am prone to car sickness and cannot ride amusement park rides. I have rarely, if ever, been sea sick. The closest I have been was on Song of America when we were skirting a hurricane and ship was rocking from side to side and front to back, so much that the pools emptied. The one thing I always do is take a less drowsy Dramamine about 1 hour before the ship leaves port. This holds me over while I get my sea legs and my body adjusts to any movement of the ship. As mentioned in one of the above posts, the larger the ship, the less movement you will feel. The larger ships now have stabilizers that help lessen the rockin' and rollin'. You could always take a pack of ginger snaps and that should take care of any problems you may encounter.

This is just like me. Merry go Rounds...blahhhh! I have been horribly sick on Boston Whalers and on fishing yachts. I get sick if I sit in the back seat of a car...or on a bus...or driving in the mountains if I'm not the one doing the driving. I can actually start feeling sick when I watch home videos if someone hasn't held the camera steady. :)

My first cruise was on the Navigator of the Seas and the water was sloshing out both ends of the pool. I initially thought it was a wave pool like they have at a water park. I took Bonine an hour before we left port and I never felt sick at all.

But at the first meal in the morning - breakfast in the dining room - a little girl threw up right there at the table as we waited for our food. P U! Now that was enough to make me want to be sick. They took her away, we ate, and I've never seen anyone seasick again on a ship.

I can ride the craziest roller coasters and have no problems in cars or even small boats...but the Majesty of the Seas really kicked my butt! I stick with the Voyager class, but I always use the transderm patch. Need an Rx, but worth every penny. My hubby has no problems on ships, but he gets a little green on snorkel/dive boats on our excursions. So we both use the patches and we both have a wonderful cruise! Just remember to switch sides each time you put on a new patch. And the both of us have absolutely zero side effects! I totally recommend them!

I am leaning towards the bands so I do not get any side effects.

We got these for my MIL and she was fine. She even wore them on the plane on the way to Florida. I agree with you...Id rather use these than take medication.

You will like the Majesty...have fun

I would recommend taking something for motion sickness the day before leaving on a cruise just in case. Why take a chance of being miserable. I either take pills or patches on all cruises. I did get car sick as a child. On my first cruise I had motion sickness but didn't actually get sick. I could walk but when I stopped if DH wasn't there for me to grab on to, I'd fall down. Still get vertigo but not that bad. Have only been sick once in 28 ft. seas. We have experienced 18 to 28 ft. seas on all 5 cruises. Having a cabin mid-ship helps a lot. In spite of that, we enjoy higher seas! Have a great trip.

On my first real cruise to Bermuda we experienced very rough seas, of course I had packed no sea-sickness medicine because I don't have any form of motion sickness on land.

Now, I know that regardless of the seas I am prone to feeling sick the first two or so days. I think the Bonnie works the best and I take it before I go to bed the first few nights. After that my sense of balance must take over and I am fine.

Two things I find in error here. One is waiting to see if you feel sick and then take the meds, sorry but that is wrong, if you wait it will be too late. I've done that before and lost lunch plus the meds I took 10 minutes before I barfed. If you are sick, the only thing that would help is a shot from the doctor, or a patch, prescribed for you before you leave. I've read enough about the patch to know it would not be a good choice for me.

Number two is that the large ships of today you won't feel movement. The ocean is a whole lot bigger than any ship out there and if the sea is rough enough, you will definitely feel it. No matter where you are onboard, even the lowest, middle location cabin.

I start taking less-drowsy Dramamine the night before we embark and continue for a week after we return home. I'm also one of the lucky ones who suffers from Mal de Debarquement, which is dizzy and nauseous after you are back on land.

I do find the seabands work quite well for me as well, if we are going to be on a smaller craft (tender boats, excursion boats), I'll start wearing those at least a half hour before boarding those.

Ginger works for many, it did give me heartburn in the candy form, but I will occasionally drink a ginger ale. I'd probably try it again, but only on a full stomach and probably with along with a hearburn OTC med.

I forgot to mention that when I took Bonine on our last cruise, I started the night before we sailed. It says it's a "preventative". I seriously don't know if I would have gotten sick or not without it, but I didn't want to take the chance. I'd waited a year for a cruise, and even one or two days of feeling sick would have been a bad thing. I had absolutely no side effects and I'll be taking it again on our next cruise. Also, they sold it in the General Store on the Mariner, but I stocked up at Target before we sailed.

The last time I checked, you could get free bonine by asking at the Purser's Desk. The captain will often announce if they are expecting high seas...that is a clue to get the free stuff right away if you are prone to motion sickness. We have cruised through the residuals of two hurricanes and have never needed it - knock on wood.

Another clue: Watch for the (empty) barf bags distributed on all the stairway railings... :)

LL

Archived