Bonnie Voyager or anyone - Opinion please

Dorie7

Hi, Bonnie!

Thanks for all your postings helping people decide on the important issue of which cabin to book. Your pictures are amazing and very helpful.

I'm trying to help out friends with booking this trip. They haven't cruised for many years and this is a rare opportunity for them to do so again. Therefore, I am hoping to make this sailing as perfect as possible. The right cabin will really make a difference. We decided on an aft balcony on a Voyager class ship but we are having problems deciding which cabin to book.

RCI has 7388 and 8690 on Explorer available for Bermuda sailing. Which should we take? Is the balcony on 7388 larger or darker? Is either one more sheltered? Looking at the pictures, it looks like there is a lot of the steel framework of the boat blocking your view from 7388. Is that true or do you have just as good a view as from 8690? I read in one post that you thought 7388 was a good place to be if the cabin size was not an issue (1688 is too expensive for us).

Thanks for any help,

Dorie

Personally, I'd rather have more cabin than more balcony! I only stand or sit on the balcony, but I have to move about while dressing and such! I've never thought the side balconies were a hinderance to my good time!

I hope you're just offering suggestions, and letting your friend have the final say! Why don't you turn them on to this web site, so they can do some of the planning--that's half the fun of cruising!!!!

Voyager class ships are awesome, however, the Aft cabins/balconies are not as desirable as on other classes of ships (Radiance, Vision, Sovereign classes) due to the design of these ships... steel structure and grey area really take away from view/experience IMHO....

I'd go for as nice a room w/ balcony as you could get in a more convenient location if you are stuck on Voyager class....you'll probably have a much larger selection to choose from....perhaps can get adjoining cabins closer to the elevators....

BTW, there is so much deck space on these ships that you really don't need a private balcony to feel secluded....

Just my $.02.

Good luck and have fun!:)

We just got off the Freedom, and had an AFT JS 1706. This room is equal to 1688. Great, huge balcony, and you can see everyone elses balcony from deck 8 and 9. It was very quiet but we did feel a lot of motion, at least for 5 days. It was a long walk, but we really enjoy it. You cannot look straight down, but had a great view abroad. The only thing I did not like was that I was not able to see where we were going to, it was great when we were leaving. No problem with hearing anything from Windjammer. I did take a peek from WJ and I was only able to see the railings of corner cabins and from deck 9 and below. I hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I took so long to find your thread Dorie. You've probably already selected your cabin by now! I will still give you my input if you want it. I personally would prefer 7388 to 8690 because we spend lot's of time on our balcony so we would appreciate the HUGE balcony of 7388 and we prefer shade to sun. 8690 is a predominantly sunny balcony while 7388 is predominantly shady. The two cabins are nearly identical except for the single door in 8690 versus the double slider in 7388. I think you will enjoy either of these locations, so I hope you didn't fret too much over your decision. They are both relatively private balconies with nice views. Enjoy your trip no matter which cabin you are in!

Archived