Panama Canal - Cruising

My husband and I are booked on Brilliance of the Seas Ultimate Panama Canal cruise. Apparently some of the "Cruising the Canal" excursions have been eliminated on this trip based on what I've read from their previous sailings. Does anyone who has done this trip have a great suggestion for a shore excursion incorporating viewing the locks? Thanks!

Cruizers

You really don't need to pay for an excursion to view the locks--the ship is going to go through them. While it does, there is a representative onboard who will give you all kinds of interesting info on the canal and locks. You can move from place to place on the ship and view from all different angles and levels!

When you do one of those excursions, you are NOT allowed to go to any towns--you pretty much stay on the vehicles and it's and "all day" thing.

My husband and I are booked on Brilliance of the Seas Ultimate Panama Canal cruise. Apparently some of the "Cruising the Canal" excursions have been eliminated on this trip based on what I've read from their previous sailings. Does anyone who has done this trip have a great suggestion for a shore excursion incorporating viewing the locks? Thanks!

Cruizers

What sailing are you on? We are going in March and there is a full list of excursions for our day in Panama, it currently lists 14 and according to RCCL more to be added. You might want to consider the "locks by ferry" tour as you get to experience the locks up close.

Sue

As CB at Sea said, an excursion is really not necessary. We stayed on the ship and got the see the transit into Gatun Lake and back again. While in Gatun Lake we watched other ships enter and exit the locks. It is really neat to pick out a point of reference on shore and then watch as the ship raises or lowers in the locks.

In Costa Rica the Tortaguero Canals is a great trip. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

• 3 weeks later...
The only ships that actually go through are the ones that go from California to Florida or San Juan---the other ones turn around--is that correct?

I just reread what you asked and I had misread it. Sorry.

The only ships that actually go through are the ones that go from California to Florida or San Juan---the other ones turn around--is that correct?

The Brilliance of the Seas turns around AFTER completing one set of locks and turns around in Lake Gatun.

We did this cruise in January with Jebl. As other's have stated, if you are purely interested in the locks, just stay on the ship. You go thru the locks twice, and usually next to another ship in the second channel next to you. It was fun to see a bulk cargo ship next to, and beneath us, as the chambers filled with water and we rose way above her. We roamed all around the Brilliance get many pic's from different angles. And, as Jebl said, the canals in Costa Rica were a great excursion.

Archived