Since we're discussing resorts...

SusieV

How do you book your resort vacations? Where do you find the best price for an all inclusive?

When I do a quick search online, I find them much more expensive than a cruise.

I enjoy AIs and stay at them often. When you say they are "much more expensive" than a cruise, you need to compare apples to apples.

Cruises (except for the luxury lines) are not all inclusive. The range of accomodation at most AIs does not inlcude anything like an inside cabin on a cruise ship, insosfar as size or views.

Depending on your tastes, very good AIs can be booked for 400-500 night per couple. This includes everything, including airport transfers in most cases. All watersports, tennis, golf, scuba, etc, are generally included as are all fitness activities. Since I am active and enjoy these activities, it saves me a lot of money vs a cruise.

I enjoy the Grand Lido resorts and some of the Couples Resorts in Jamaica as I only book AIs that are adults only (that is something you cannot get on a ship these days and worth the price of admission IMO).

Shop their own websites for promos just like you do for cruises. Most all AIs offer the same pricing through TAs as they do directly. You can easily see this by going to any of the popular travel sites and making a comparison.

We used to book with TNT Vacations.. they provide charter flight right to Punta Cana (Dominican Republic), and charter makes it even cheaper... Our vacations in 4.5*** with good service, terrific food, wonderful resort was about $2700 (including everything) for 2 adults and a kid for Thanksgiving week. http://www.tntvacations.com/

During this summer there were (not only that site) unbelievable deals.. like under $1000 for a couple and such for Dominican.

I was thinking of doing an AI in Jan/Feb but they are really expensive then. I was looking for something nice in Cancun.

Le Blanc is the top AI in Cancun. Check out the reviews on trip advisor.

Their rates are slated to rise as soon as they get their fifth star, which is pending.

If you like X, this AI would be a great place to start.

Remember drinks are included. If a drinker easily can save $70/day when you look at cruise prices. That however is also a negative as people tend to drink too much.

Rooms at AI's are usually much bigger and more comfortable.

No cost to get to beaches, which last time for 4 can be $40-$50 minimum.

Pools generally more oppulent.

Food can be a give or take proposition.

Tipping is not $300+/week

Sorry I like kids and the fun they can bring.

The RIU's are very good and I always cross reference with http://www.TripAdvisor.com . Like anything, you get what you pay for and often it has something to do with the socio-economics of the country (i.e. Mexico, Cuba, DR cheap, St. Lucia, Bahamas, Bermuda, St. Maartin expensive.

To each his own, though I really enjoyed our last cruise and liked the different ports.

Remember drinks are included. If a drinker easily can save $70/day when you look at cruise prices. That however is also a negative as people tend to drink too much.

I am not a big drinker and that is one reason I avoid the AIs that are party oriented. These are pretty easy to spot IMO. Lots of pools, lots of bars, lots of rooms. Mid range to cheap prices. Tons of social events.

I also avoid the big resorts as they are as unappealing to me as the big ships and for the same reasons.

I think there are a good range of AIs at various price points and quality levels, much as there are on cruises. And there is something for everyone.

The appeal to me is the absence of any hassle factor as well as additional costs that are part of cruising. We like specialty restaurants and these are no charge; tendering is a hassle as is embarking/debarking at times. At AIs you avoid all of this.

And if I bring my own wine, it won't be confiscated:D.

I was thinking of doing an AI in Jan/Feb but they are really expensive then. I was looking for something nice in Cancun.

Have you considered the possibility of renting a time share unit for a week? I know of a few people who vacationed at beautiful resorts in Cancun by renting the unit of a timeshare owner who had other plans during their allocated time-slot.

Have you considered the possibility of renting a time share unit for a week? I know of a few people who vacationed at beautiful resorts in Cancun by renting the unit of a timeshare owner who had other plans during their allocated time-slot.

Just a few thoughts on that.

I pick a cruise for the ship first and a resort for the amenities, food and service first (location almost irrelevant if it is on a great beach) and perhaps that is unusual. I am not a Cancun fan overall and only LeBlanc would get me to vacation there. I doubt if I would leave the resort at all except to shop perhaps and sometimes I stay aboard a ship if the ports are not interesting.

Also, the idea of doing any chores at all on vacation has zero appeal so I have never looked at a timeshare. I know this vacation option has many fans.

There are several posts on the Fodors Talk threads that have good info on this option, FYI.

caviergal, I'm with you! No chores for me on a vacation.

With that in mind, I have never considered a trip other than to a resort of cruise, etc with full services. It may work for some people but not for me.

I only wanted to do Cancun because I have never been there! I realize it's no great shakes and would probably only go off the resort property a time or two to look around.

My friend went to RIU there and she said it was new and pretty nice.

Just a thought for a cold month!

For years, we rented a timeshare in Aruba for the two week Xmas break. It was great for a family. (no chores, Caviargal!!!). DH and I went out very early (everyone was a chairhog, including us!!!!!!!!! you can flame if you want. One day (in about 7 years) someone had the chutzpah to take OUR chaises in OUR chicky. The reaction of our neighbours was very different from the reaction you read on these boards. EVERYONE thought these people were gauche.) I do digress! By 11am, I am Out of the sun. Then, in my bathing suit, I'd go into our minimart, grab a little red basket, and buy whatever we needed. Lunch was on our shaded balcony. The maid cleaned the dishes. Sometimes I did. It was like playing house! Dinners were always in a restaurant, though!

Now, if I were to go to a resort instead taking a cruise, I would go a la carte. As I said before, we love to eat in different restaurants. We don't do a lot of sports and we don't drink very much (a little wine with dinner OR a drink before dinner). Actually, before our Feb. cruise in 2007, we will spend a week at the San Juan Marriott (I think I have mentioned this before). Puerto Rico isn't my favourite destination, the beach is not the best, but we will have a good time! (No snow!!!)

The packages from here are mostly to Cuba, Mexico, Central America and Domican Republic. (the less expensive destinations). I have never seen an ad for LeBlanc. Is it expensive?

Whatever you choose, if the weather is good, and you don't get sick from the food(!!!), you will have a good time.

Just a few thoughts on that.

I pick a cruise for the ship first and a resort for the amenities, food and service first (location almost irrelevant if it is on a great beach) and perhaps that is unusual. I am not a Cancun fan overall and only LeBlanc would get me to vacation there. I doubt if I would leave the resort at all except to shop perhaps and sometimes I stay aboard a ship if the ports are not interesting.

Also, the idea of doing any chores at all on vacation has zero appeal so I have never looked at a timeshare. I know this vacation option has many fans.

There are several posts on the Fodors Talk threads that have good info on this option, FYI.

Hi Caviargal :)

I don't do chores on vacations either. We did, however, stay in a timeshare rental once when our favorite hotels in the area were booked. It turned out to be a very pleasant surprise because we stayed in a gorgeous spacious apartment in a beautiful building instead of a hotel room and paid less for it. This left us with more cash to spend at the fantastic restaurants in the area :)

babylene and SkySweet: I did not know that timeshares offered services, thanks for sharing:).

I love my room service coffee on the balcony and cheese and caviar as well for my preferred way to celebrate Happy Hour. Are these kinds of things available?

Fitness facilities are a must have for me so that is also important. Do most time shares offer them?

My priorities on vacation are surroundings, service and good dining. One the the other things that has put me off from considering a time share is that I know they are attractive to families and I prefer to enjoy my vacations with adults.

I will keep it in mind should we ever look look beyond cruising for a multi-generational family reunion vacation.:)

My very favorite vacation is time spent in Europe, especially Italy. When time does not permit, I look for a cruise that appeals or an AI.

Of course, I have to intersperse the true vacations with long weekends in my favorite cities!

Has anyone considered renting a villa? I rented a villa in Ocho Rios...it was beautiful: living room, dining room, 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, pool, right on the water. We were provided with a cook, maid and driver.

Has anyone considered renting a villa? I rented a villa in Ocho Rios...it was beautiful: living room, dining room, 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, pool, right on the water. We were provided with a cook, maid and driver.

Hi Toz :)

I knew you could rent a villa with a maid, but didn't realize you could get one with a cook and driver, as well. Now that I know, I will definitely consider it :)

I have rented villas three times in MoBay with friends. Each came with a full staff and we also had access to Half Moon resort which was great. I used their gym and spa every day, the guys golfed, my friend went riding most mornings, we enjoyed their beach and pools when not using our own.

We had a staff of six and it was a very reasonable vacation. The villas were all huge, we had private baths, our cook shopped for and cooked what we ordered and then we were served on linen and china in the evenings and on the huge wrap around balcony for breakfast.

Nice vacations, all.

Archived