Solstice Construction Begins !!!

Andy

Hi Everyone !

Royal Caribbean / Celebrity just issued a press release stating that construction has begun on Solstice at Meyer Werft in Papenburg Germany. While they say the ship will be in service in Fall of 2008, they do not mention a specific month yet.

Here is a link to the release :

http://www.rclinvestor.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=914813&highlight=

I thought that many of us would be happy to hear the news !!

Andy,

So when do we board?

Hi Rick !

Not soon enough :) It would be great if Celebrity will give us some updates on what is planned for Solstice class. Although I do not expect to hear much, I hope we will hear at least some details about Celebrity's plans for the Solstice class over the next few months.

There is another article here...with a silhouette of the ship. Yep, 2 funnels. From the look of the silhouette, it will indeed look like that drawing that has been floating around the internet. Not sure what I think about that design yet...but I CAN'T WAIT to find out in person!!! :D :D :cool:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/061011/clw051.html?.v=67

There is another article here...with a silhouette of the ship. Yep, 2 funnels. From the look of the silhouette, it will indeed look like that drawing that has been floating around the internet. Not sure what I think about that design yet...but I CAN'T WAIT to find out in person!!! :D :D :cool:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/061011/clw051.html?.v=67

very excited about this when can we book.........

Hi MHoward !

My guess would be April or May '07 before booking opens for Solstice. There is always a chance it could be a bit sooner though !

I bet we won`t hear too much about the features of these ships until shortly before the first is launched.... to keep all of us on our toes and make us want to book...just like RCCL did with the Freedom. They didn't even release deck plans so the first passengers had to book blind....which is something I refuse to do since I have already spend 2 weeks above a lounge that suddenly turned into a teen disco at night!!!

With 2950 passengers, I'm not sure I want to cruise on this class.... I'm sure it'll be very good, but I don't think it'll be much like traditional Celebrity.

Having cruised on ships with this many passengers and more, I know that I have zero interest in Solstice and will not be sailing.

Seems to me that X is following the pack instead of maintaining a distinct identity.

I am certain that with the ever growing hunger for bigger ships, they will do just fine financially but soon traditionalists will have nowhere to go:(.

Host Andy are we still going to try to form a CC group for the maiden voyage? If so, count me in!!

Hi Westchester !

I am certainly going to try my best to make it happen. Unfortunately, its too soon to know for certain if it can happen or not.

Rest assured, I am staying on top of this. When I know further details, I will post in on this thread.

here some infor on the engines for SOLSTICE

the Wärtsilä Corporation has booked an order in February to supply environmentally-sound diesel engines to Meyer Werft in Papenburg, Germany, for the new post-Panamax cruise ship contracted there by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (RCL) and to be operated by Celebrity Cruises, a subsidiary of RCL. The ship is due for delivery in autumn 2008.

Archived