The rule with meds??

a1moty

We are going on the Zaandam Alaskan Inside Passage in a few weeks and I was wondering what the rule is regarding medications. Do prescription drugs have to be in a pharmacy container? My dr. is trying me on something new and just gave me samples for this first month---While that will be convenient for travel--do I still need a written script from the dr.?

Also, do OTC vitamins need to be in original containers as well???

Many thanks for your advice and knowledge! :rolleyes:

I have always taken my medications in my carry on bag in original containers.

I do not think you would have any problem with samples, they are labeled with the medication name and dose correct?

The only problem I can forsee is if you should need to replace your prescriptions, write down all the names and original prescription #'s and name of original pharmacy,most pharmacists can contact the original pharmacy and get you a refill.

hope this helps,

We have never had a problem with meds not being in their original containers. My husband is on so many scrips he would need a full size suitcase to carry them if we had to bring the original bottles! He does, however carry a copy of all scrips and a letter from the Doctor re his injection needles. This has always sufficed....jean

:)

Husband has to take a lot of medications 4 times a day. We always keep them in their original containers. We just have the drug store make containers that are smaller than what the original medications come in.

Shortly after 9/11 we flew out to San Diego - US Airways checked every one of his medications to make certain that the bottles contained what wa marked on them. That was the only time we have ever had anything like that happen.

:)

We always take our meds in the original prescription or non-prescription bottles in a zippered bag in our our carry-on. Then I have in another bag a list of all our docs, their phone #'s, and all the meds we are carrying. This is not only if verification is needed, but in case our meds are stolen or lost our docs could be contacted for refill permission if needed. Never been checked or questioned yet, but better to be safe than sorry. We always double check a week or so before leaving home that we absolutely have enough med to cover the entire length of our trip plus some extra days. Your pharmacist can give you a 'vacation' exemption for more medication than normal in case you will need more than the regular amount of each prescription filled.

I just keep this list of docs and meds as a document in my computer, delete or add (has anyone over 60 ever deleted a doc or med?) as necessary, and print out just before leaving on a trip.

I travel with almost a carryon bags worth of meds- between my daughters nevulozer and asthma meds and my sons meds. I often use pill containers for the daily meds.

I will say that in Europe and other parts of the worls, some of the meds that we are using that are newer are not available - even with a script. They dont exist in a generic format YET and are not marketed or necessarity approved abroad.

I have a relative in Europe that cannot get their meds overseas and gets the scripts filled here- then one way or another we get them over the pond...

TO date no one has ever taken any interest in any of my belongings.

We carry our presciption meds in their original containers. We take vitamins and supplements as well and we carry them in our daily pill organizers and never have we been questioned or examined about them in any of our travels, foreign or domestic, cruise or non-cruise. Hope this helps!

I carry our meds in original pharmacy bottles and make up our daily pill organizers when we arrive on the ship.

I also carry a list of all meds, all doctors, and pharmacy telephone number in the event our meds were lost or stolen and we needed to get replacements.

On our last cruise, I carried a copy of my surgeon's report as I had so recently had such serious surgery "just in case" I became ill while traveling. At least some ER doctor would be able to determine something of what had been done to me/happened.

The meds I take are not life-critical so I have never brought my original containers. I have been to Europe, Chile and the carribbean twice and never had a problem or a second look. This included syringes in my suitcase.

Just a tidbit to ponder ;)

Archived