Tipping and the Solo Cruiser

mrc1961

Let me start this by saying ... this is an honest question ... not an attempt to tip less than is appopriate.

My MIL is cruising with us but is staying in her own cabin (singly). DH and I are paying her expenses so that includes her tips as well.

I've cruised with RCL previously and remember that the cruise vouchers recommend xx dollars per PERSON per day. Is that different for the solo traveller?

My thought is that for the stateroom attendent, we ought to tip as though the cabin was double occupancy (the cabin attendant has to do the same things regardless of number of guests). However, for the waiter, head waiter, and assistant waiter, we'll likely tip the recommended "per person".

Does this make sense?

I believe that you only probably need to tip based on the per person rate even for the cabin attendant. But, If you feel you've been given service exceding your expectations you certainly are entitled to tip more. I'm sure it will be much easier for your cabin attendant to only have to clean after one cruiser. No matter what, do what you feel is right. I know that there are times that I do a little more than would be necessary because I feel it's the right thing to do (I'm not just taking about tipping here.)

If you were to prepay the tips for your MIL, you would discover that they are done on a per person basis. When I've sailed solo, I've definitely tipped my stateroom attendant more than the recommended amount for 1 person. BUT, I usually tip more than normal even when I'm sailing with someone else.

I'm a single cruiser some of the time and on all my cruises that I have cruised single on, I have only tipped for one person. If the service is above and beyond, they get tipped more! But my base rate is based on me and me alone. I don't pay for a ghost roommate.

My dad sails as a single and he tips for just himself. If he feels that he got better service, he tips accordingly. One time though on Carnival Pride, he was charged at 1 1/2 times the rate. He didn't realize that until after he got home. He was never told that he would be charged more, and he hasn't sailed on Carnival since so I don't know if that's still their policy.

On RCI when he puts his tips on the SeaPass, they only charge for 1 person. The rest he tips in cash as we do .

Let me start this by saying ... this is an honest question ... not an attempt to tip less than is appopriate.

My MIL is cruising with us but is staying in her own cabin (singly). DH and I are paying her expenses so that includes her tips as well.

I've cruised with RCL previously and remember that the cruise vouchers recommend xx dollars per PERSON per day. Is that different for the solo traveller?

My thought is that for the stateroom attendent, we ought to tip as though the cabin was double occupancy (the cabin attendant has to do the same things regardless of number of guests). However, for the waiter, head waiter, and assistant waiter, we'll likely tip the recommended "per person".

Does this make sense?

I have cruised solo many times and that is exactly what I do. I leave the full amount for the room steward and I tip as a single person for the waiter in the dining room. Also, I generally opt for specialty dining a night or two but tip as recommended anyway,

BTW, how nice of you to treat your MIL to a cruise. I go sometimes with my mom, we each have our own cabin and it is always a great trip:).

No, you tip PER PERSON!!! The stateroom attendant expects only that. After all, they're cleaning up after 1 person, not 2! Less work for them! No need to tip double!

Other than having only one bed to make instead of two. How do you figure the steward is only doing half the work in cleaning the cabin? Do they only clean half the bathroom and vacuum half the carpet?

I would tip the steward the full amount.

We felt bad on our last cruise because my friend's daughter cancelled at the last moment and we did not want 17 year in a cabin by herself so she stayed with us. Our other cabin just stayed empied 95%of the time (my husband used it occasionally to get away from the two of us) We left the cabin attendant 1 and 1/2 tipping rate because we did not want him to miss out on making tips for that cabin. Hopefully he enjoyed a little more free time for not having to clean it.

Archived