Customer Service

tupper10

I made a complaint to customer service regarding my cruise on the Galaxy. Essentiallly knowing that I had an allergy to latex I wasn't notified when latex based glue was used to install new carpeting in the elevators. I ended up needing emergency medical care and missing the entire next day at the port due to being ill. All I asked for was a refund of my medical expenses. I never got an "I'm sorry" while on board and in fact it took the entire next day to find out just what had caused my allergy attack since the staff initially denied using anything other than the ordinary cleaning substances anywhere in the ship or on the elevator that had an awful smell to it. I was given the name and address of the claim's adjustor to contact when I got home. I did so over one month ago by letter and called and left messages on this person's voice mail. To date I have not had any response at all from Celebrity or should I say Royal Caribbean, Ltd. Whether or not my "claim" is resolved in a favorable way is not even the point, I find it inexcusable to have no response at all, not even a return phone call. I wonder if anyone on these boards can suggest how to get a response from this company. My complaint by the way has nothing to do with the staff that we actually interacted with on a daily basis, these people, room stewards, waiters, bus persons, etc work so hard I don't know how they continue to have a smile on their face each time they see us.

We just had the most wonderful response from Celebrity customer service....I can't thank Celebrity enough for their quick response to our letter outlining our plight after losing our luggage for 8 days on our European cruise....their help was above and beyond what we expected. We wrote the President of Celebrity and our letter was answered within 10 days along with two very generous vouchers for future travel. This is customer service!

Tupper10, Sorry to hear about you experience. Your best bet might be to call customer service and ask for a supervisor. From what I have heard your chances are not good, but it is worth a try.

Your case is not the same as loosing luggage which is covered by your cruise insurance and/or the airlines, depending on who lost it.

I have found that it is ALWAYS a waste of time to contact customer service anywhere. I ALWAYS start at the top -- President, VP of Public Relations, etc.

Also, I always mention a date by which I expect a reply, and that I will contact the media if I don't hear by then. Mr. Greenberg, "Today", loves to hear about travel related problems, and will broadcast them nationwide if HE doesn't get a response.

I use as similar approach on tax-related matters. I have developed a direct line to the IRS Commissioner, Mark Everson, and the National Taxpayer Advocate, as well as selected Congresspersons. I get replies almost immediately. I have 10 proposed changes in IRS procedures in process in DC as we speak.

KEEP UP THE NOISE. COMPLAIN EVERYWHERE. Eventually we will be heard, but that doesn't always mean they will do what we want, like with a Bridge/card room on cruises with less than 3 days at sea.

We had our case damaged beyond repair and a suit carrier destroyed when we we on Celebrity Centuryin June. I have just received a cheque in lieu of the claim form we were told to complete while onboard. I had to keep onto them just to even confirm that they had received the form and then ended up having to fax them a copy!

I have found that it is ALWAYS a waste of time to contact customer service anywhere. I ALWAYS start at the top -- President, VP of Public Relations, etc.

KEEP UP THE NOISE. COMPLAIN EVERYWHERE.

You are so right. Always start at the top and let the &((# trickle down.

I had a problem with a hospital in Florida which I had to use before I boarded the ship. Although I gave them all my insurance information I received a bill 15 months later threatening me with collection. I did everything I could to straighten it out. Three months later my insurance company had not received docs from the hospital. I wrote a lengthy letter to the President of the hospital. This matter is now closed.

Keep at them. By the way, did you book through a travel agent? If so, see if he/she will get involved. I mention this only because we had a complaint when we sailed on the Summit and she helped us to the point where we each received a $300 credit.

Your travel insurance should take care of your medical bills. My daughter's friend had an allergic reaction to lobster one night and became ill and travel insurance paid the medical bill. I did not hold the cruise line responsible for her reaction.

I believe I will contact the President of the Company as suggested. I do hold the cruise line responsible since I faxed them a letter and gave them one when I boarded the ship regarding my allergy to latex. Had I not told them about this - then they would not have been responsible. FYI Celebrity has a policy for those of us with "special needs" to contact customer service prior to the sail date with the specifics of our needs. I always do this but found out that the list never got to where it needed to be, i.e the ship. Therefore, the first thing I do when I get on board is to give copies to the ship staff so everyone knows. I don't know what more I could have done. When the staff knows you are allergic to something they have an obligation to warn you if it is going to be in area - all I needed was a sign saying new carpet had been placed in the elevators and glued down. Most of the people I know who are allergic to latex know that almost all glues are latex based - it says it right on the label of the glue product. All I needed was information and I would not have taken the elevator - a very simple easy solution to a known problem by the cruise line. The point is not about being reimbursed by my travel insurance for my medical care the point is that I received no response at all to what I consider to be a legitimate complaint.

Archived