Dissapointed, stateroom concerns.

:(. I am new to cruising, we leave for our first cruise in one week (oct 22nd, vision of the seas, mexican riveria).

I booked this cruise about 6-7 mo ago and we've really been looking forward to it. I just read a post down below from an OP who wanted pictures of pullman beds.

Somehow, this possibility had escaped me until now. I just went back and looked at my reservations and at first I thought I was safe, the picture they show when you click on the "view" link shows 2 twin beds and a sofa that appears to pull out into a couch, but it doesn't give a good description, I couldn't find a place to figure out what my room would be like EXACTLY, so I pretended to make a new reservation for the same ship and itinerary in January and when I saw my room number 2575, I noticed it had a little cross next to the room number, I looked at the bottom of the page and it says there is a 3rd and 4th pullman available in this room.

How did I Not notice that initially??

I picked the room because it was midship and not near the elevator or stairs..at least that was my plan.... but somehow I assumed it would have beds for my husband and I to push together and a pullout couch for the boys to sleep on.

Now I'm dissapointed that we're going to be stuck with 2 pullman beds instead.. especially after seeing the picture! My 3 yo is not the best sleeper, he is a mover. I really don't like the idea of him falling on my head in the middle of the night!

we already have all of our documents/luggage tags etc, so i'm guessing it's too late to do anything about it now.

any suggestions? any "Oh it will be fine!" comments?

thanks.

I think you should be fine. The beds are only down at night - your steward will put them back into the ceiling each day. And there are bars on the side that would keep him from rolling off, just like a bunk bed. We had them in our cabin for our 15 day Island Princess cruise and they were never in the way or an inconvenience. Your kids will probably enjoy being up there.

Don't be disappointed, you are going on a cruise and will have a great time. You will love the ship. We sailed on her sister, the Legend and we loved the ship. Just relax & enjoy and your boys won't know any different.

I didn't pay attention when I booked our cabin either and then realized later it had a pullman. When I called RCCL, the rep told me that they do not allow children under the age of 6 in the pullmans (although I've read otherwise on this board). Anyway, the rep said that they could bring in a cot for my 3 year old daughter. I ended up switching cabins because I really wanted a sofabed and I don't care where on the ship we are. You may want to call RCCL to see if they have anything left with a sofabad. If not, request a cot so that it will be available when you get to the ship. I hope you have a great cruise.

Thanks for the ideas, the first poster said there was a bar so they wouldn't fall but ...

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1066024941036355651BaGsZW

i don't see a bar in this picture? I hope they all have bars. My 3 yo son sleeps in the top bunk at home, which I dont' mind, because there is a bar keeping him from falling out, but the picture above looks pretty precarious!

ALso, it seems strange that they ask for the ages of the passengers, but then they offer you a cabin that isn't "allowed" (child under 6 in a pullman bed).?

I guess they could assume that the child would sleep in the twin bed and one of the adults in the pullman, but I don't think that's gonna happen.

Also, does this mean we won't have a couch at all? or just not a pull-out couch bed? they really shouldnt' provide a link that says "View your stateroom" and then just give you a random picture, I thought that was an accurate representation of the kind of room I was going to get (I knew it wasn't the EXACT room, but I thought it was at least the right style)

Thanks for the ideas, the first poster said there was a bar so they wouldn't fall but ...

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1066024941036355651BaGsZW

i don't see a bar in this picture? I hope they all have bars. My 3 yo son sleeps in the top bunk at home, which I dont' mind, because there is a bar keeping him from falling out, but the picture above looks pretty precarious!

ALso, it seems strange that they ask for the ages of the passengers, but then they offer you a cabin that isn't "allowed" (child under 6 in a pullman bed).?

I guess they could assume that the child would sleep in the twin bed and one of the adults in the pullman, but I don't think that's gonna happen.

Also, does this mean we won't have a couch at all? or just not a pull-out couch bed? they really shouldnt' provide a link that says "View your stateroom" and then just give you a random picture, I thought that was an accurate representation of the kind of room I was going to get (I knew it wasn't the EXACT room, but I thought it was at least the right style)

Interesting picture..................Question...........How do you get up there??

Rick

From what I have read on here - the bar is removable and your cabin steward can add it. Ours was, but it was a different cruise line. The older kids don't necessarily want them. The interior rooms do have a couch but it is pretty small. The picture you saw was pretty acurate and doesn't say anything about the couch being a pull out.

At this point, you might want to do what katsmom1 suggests and just call RCCL and see what they say. They can either calm your concerns and clarify the age restriction or try to remedy the situation. Is your ship sold out?

Also - that picture is of a balcony room. I believe your pullmans will be facing the same direction as the ones below, instead of opposite - for the inside cabins.

If you find that the pullman doesn't work for your child, he's small enough to sleep on the floor! That way, there's nowhere to fall!

Since this is your 1st cruise, and you have nothing to compare it to, you will be so in awe when you board and get underway--NOTHING will dampen this vacation for you! Bon Voyage!

If you find that the pullman doesn't work for your child, he's small enough to sleep on the floor! That way, there's nowhere to fall!

Since this is your 1st cruise, and you have nothing to compare it to, you will be so in awe when you board and get underway--NOTHING will dampen this vacation for you! Bon Voyage!

thanks for the responses everyone.

CB.. I don't know if the floor sleeping was in jest or not, but we may actually just do that. or have him sleep on the tiny couch. we really aren't that picky. I guess I was just a bit surprised, and this close to the cruise I felt like "oh no!" since I didn't really have time to research it and change it if I chose to.,

Also, the ship appears to be sold out. AT least through online booking it doesn't show any other cabins available in any category, much less the same category.

Like I said, we are a flexible bunch, so I'm sure once we get there it wont' seem like as big of a deal. As a previous poster said, the inside pullmans may be length wise (same orientation as the twin beds are) which might be kind of nice, once we push our twins together for my husband and I , we will each have a boy above us but off to the side. Dont' have to worry about a broken nose from a toddler falling on you at night.

I think it's the unknown that seems most worrisome. I'm finding these last 2 wks before the crusie to be stressful, trying to think of everything I need to pack, all the documents and photocopies of documents, and money and.....

I can't wait utnil I'm there and can sit back and relax!

We were on the Navigator last Jan with our 3 and 6 yr olds, the cabin steward said he wasn't even allowed to open the pullman for our 3 yr old. Worked out just fine the little one slept on the couch some nights (or at least part of, until she crawled in with us) and a couple of nights she shared the pull man with her sister (we put her against the wall). The couch is loveseat sized and not very plush but if your 3 yr old is like ours, they can sleep anywhere:) . Have a great trip.

Sara

LOL...........That's Henry in the Navigator Lounge!!:D :D Snowman on a cruise ship??? Funny!!:D

Whoops!! Guess we need to get on a bigger ship class to see this! ;) Dare I ask you if you have a bigger picture? LOL In the little one, he sure looks like a snowman! LOL

AlreadyInLove,

The uppers look different depending on the class of ship. The photo link you have above is the Navigator. Here is one of the Vision (your's won't have a window but it should look the same). The silver ladder is on the right berth. Your cabin steward will put up saftey rails for your little one.

http://family.webshots.com/photo/1371844186072297532BMiOXr

Here's a shot of the same cabin type with the little love seat. I doubt it folds out.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1205493760048940202gzuiqG

The cabin layout photos on the RCCL website can be misleading sometimes. For example, the Empress shows a standard cabin with a couch but yet the standard rooms don't have one.

I'm sure your little one will be ok as the cabin steward will take care of things. I've read before where some people have removed the mattress from the berth and put it on the floor at night. Just remember not to step on them;)

I agree with the above poster. My sister and BIL just put the crib mattress or whatever kind of matress it was on the floor at night and made up the bed that way. The kids couldn't have cared less and it was a great solution for them.

When I was on the Monarch, we had the quad cabin with 2 pullman beds, my cousin and I (both adults) slept up there. The ladders are a little shaky (especially if you have indulged in many DOD's:p ) but the beds were comfy and yes, there was a railing.

Suziehmkr, you would be suprised all the places you will find Henry. I found him riding a beautiful palomino stallion! There is a thread in the floataway lounge for friends of Henry.... ;)

Suziehmkr, you would be suprised all the places you will find Henry. I found him riding a beautiful palomino stallion! There is a thread in the floataway lounge for friends of Henry.... ;)

OK - I get it - kind of a virtual Flat Stanley! You can just call me an idiot! LOL I thought it was a plastic snowman in his little avatar. I am glad I asked though, because I will definitely check out that thread!! FUN!

OK - I get it - kind of a virtual Flat Stanley! You can just call me an idiot! LOL I thought it was a plastic snowman in his little avatar. I am glad I asked though, because I will definitely check out that thread!! FUN!

Here's a link to the thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=382773. Come visit us!

We may be strange but we prefer rooms with Pullman's and aren't real fond of sofa sleepers. The sofa sleepers aren't all that comfy and the Pullmans are just as comfy as the regular beds. And, I often sleep in the Pullman and my son sleeps in the bed. He moves around a lot and I wake with him above me. And, a sofa sleeper takes up space when pulled out.

I've also heard of people pulling the mattress down onto the floor so that could be another option.

already in love.....I'd be concerned with putting a 3 year old up high. We will be using the pullman's with our children on our next cruise but they will be 5 and 9 so i'm not too concerned. You do have other options. One is to bring a pack and play , some children still fit in them at 3. Another is to ask for a separate cot. They have them available and your can just carry on a bed gate to put on one side and push the other side against the couch. Or another is to put your 3 year old on the couch. The attendents will put a sheet , blankets and a pillow , set it up just like a bed. Don't worry and have a good time.

If you do decide to use both pullmans, they may not let you push your twin beds together. On Celebrity we had a quad , and DH and I had to sleep seperate because of the pullmans.:( The kids were comfortable up there, and they did have saftey rails though.

Archived