Carry on wine

katscruise

I posted yesterday that several people brought wine on board our cruise (Zenith October 7th to Bermuda). Most drank the wine in the room while another couple brought the wine to the dinner table and paid the $15 per bottle corkage fee. The guys at the x-ray machine didn't blink an eye. Also, one person brought 2 6-packs of beer on board while in Bermuda - one 6-pack at a time.

a full suitcase of boxed Chardonnay. Just a couple of boxes and an oversized suitcase. :cool: She stuffs it into the refrig. and on days at sea, makes several trips back to the room for refills. Why boxed, bottles in suitcases could break. Bad way to start a trip......

My favorite cruise adult beverage, a spicey Bloody Mary, the larger the better does it for me. I can't stand white wine. ;)

My wife and I will continue for awhile with this thread if anyone wants to enjoy it. May be the self-appointed gestapo wine police will find some other worng to right, so it conforms to their vision of the world as it should be.

One cruise we packed a blender. Frozen margarittas were standard fare.

Yummm.

:p

a full suitcase of boxed Chardonnay. Just a couple of boxes and an oversized suitcase. She stuffs it into the refrig. and on days at sea, makes several trips back to the room for refills.

Well here is one reason for the new policy on Celebrity. As a previous poster had said, perhaps a little less eloquently, I don't think wine in a bag qualifies as something unique from your own private cellar that is not available on the ship.

To each there own, however sneeking alcohol on board and then consuming it freely in public areas is a blatant abuse of accepted protocol on any cruise ship - not just Celebrity. This practice only serves to ruin it for those honest passengers who were only seeking to consume wine or alcohol within the confines of their room or who were willing to pay the corkage fee to bring their bottle to the dining room.

I can only imagine the reaction of everybody at the table if someone showed up in the dining room with a box of wine and asked the sommelier to please decant this.

dileep, according to your signature your last cruise was January '06. Did you miss the part that this is a NEW rule?

On RCI last month were two couples who had brought two bottles of wine per couple in their checked luggage. It was taken and held till the end of the cruise. Also on that ship a lady who had in her carry-on one bottle of special champagne for a celebration had it taken and held. X has gone to the same rule. Again, this is a new rule that is apparently being enforced.

Would hate to see you bring wine thinking that you can still take it on and have it taken from you.

I don't understand this whole thing. I thought they have a corkage fee for that reason of bringing wine onboard to consume in the dining room? If you are not allowed to bring wine onboard under any circumstances, there shouldn't be any corkage fee, right??

Just for fun, I thought I'd share these sites which review Box Wine (well known in Australia and Europe and not treated as a joke as in the US) http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/12/04/WIGV13EPSU1.DTL and http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/food/210264_wine02.html Perhaps this is the best way to enjoy a glass in your cabin or on the balcony. Note: I do NOT advocate taking it to dinner in either a glass or the box. :)

I was on the Infinity right after drydock this fall. We had two bottles of wine in our checked bags. They arrived without problem or concern. We understood that the wine may be taken upon embarkation, or it may not. It was not an expensive wine ($10.00 per bottle), just the one we prefer to drink (they only one). We consumed it in our cabin or on our balconey. Too us, if we got it, great, if X took it, fine. They still ended up with a bar bill of over $200.00.

I was on the Infinity right after drydock this fall. We had two bottles of wine in our checked bags. They arrived without problem or concern. We understood that the wine may be taken upon embarkation, or it may not. It was not an expensive wine ($10.00 per bottle), just the one we prefer to drink (they only one). We consumed it in our cabin or on our balconey. Too us, if we got it, great, if X took it, fine. They still ended up with a bar bill of over $200.00.

Fall has just begun so your post is confusing as the new rules started 7/28/06.:confused:

We cruised on Mercury two years ago and brought several bottles of wine in a carry on bag. The security people saw it in the x-ray machine and mentioned it looked like we would be having a good time. The published policy at the time said no carry on liquor. We had our cabin steward deliver a bottle to the wine steward each night and asked that he open it an hour before dinner to let it breathe and then serve it at dinner time. There was of course a $15 corkage fee but that still put our cost near the price of buying one of the cheapest bottles from the ship. Our bottles were of course better by our taste. We also opened a couple of bottles of champaign in our cabin on special nights.

On a few nights we bought wine from the menu. The wine steward was much happier when he opened our wine as he got to keep $10 instead of the 15% he got on purchased bottles.

Now I see they have raised the corkage fee to $25 and again say no carry on liquor. Since we are flying into the departure port we can't carry wine on board the plane anymore so we were contemplating buying the wine in the port city. This would of course be a big problem if we can't bring it on board and can't take it home either.

The main reason we bring our wine is because it is better wine at a price similar to the wine served on the ship. I can't see paying for their wine when it doesn't satisfy my palate. Sure some of their expensive bottles are good but not in my price range.

The only reason I can see that they forbid carry on liquor is it cuts into their profits. My last cruise was on Princess and they freely encouraged bringing wine and liquor on board. We still paid the corkage fee ($15) and everyone was happy.

Caviargal, I'm with you...trying to hang on to summer as long as possible!;)

But it's true, the Infinity just came out of dry dock at the very beginning of this Fall, and is just completing her second cruise since....and I get on in six days!!!!:D

Andrew

Caviargal, I'm with you...trying to hang on to summer as long as possible!;)

But it's true, the Infinity just came out of dry dock at the very beginning of this Fall, and is just completing her second cruise since....and I get on in six days!!!!:D

Andrew

Actually, Andrew, I live in FL and summer cannot be over with fast enough for me:). I live for fall and winter.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Actually, Andrew, I live in FL
Ah....so Fall hasn't even arrived yet!:D When my brother lived in Coconut Gorve, I only visited Oct- May from Boston.....The trees are turning bright red out here...took me years to learn that California has seasons, including Fall Folliage! Which coincides nicely with grape picking season in wine country!

Thanks for the good wishes....

Andrew

Archived