Carry on wine

katscruise

I hate that I am thinking this way, but maybe Princess cares more about happy cruisers than the hassle it would create to 'take' wine from peoples suitcases?

I think its important to look at your options. Perhaps Princess does care more; another alternative in the same price range would be HAL. Have you tried them?

We were on HAL 3 years ago and it was probably one of our best cruises. The wine steward didn't even charge us the corkage fee most of the time. He did get a good tip though.

We are on the Oct 30th Mercury cruise. It was the only one that fit into our time frame and desired locations. Our cruise on Mercury two years ago was great but this might be the last if they don't change things.

Fall has just begun so your post is confusing as the new rules started 7/28/06.:confused:

Doesn't Fall start September 21? I boarded on the 24th, so that made it fall.

Oh, and where I am from, Fall can start the third week of August, to the first week of October, if you go by weather.

We just got off the Serenade on Oct 5 (after the NEW alcohol policy) and we took 6 bottles of wine in our checked luggage and 3 bottles in our carry-ons for a total of 9 bottles. No problem at all. We also purchased the wine package in the dining room and had many drinks of the day and beer, so RCCL did not lose any profits from us. We were going to be away for a total of 17 days. We enjoy a glass of wine on our balcony before dinner and sometimes after dinner. We did not carry our wine around the ship or go back to the cabin to replenish either. We did not take it to the dining room - we just used their wine package instead. We knew that it may be taken from us but we were staying after the cruise in Hawaii, so we thought we could use it there if it was taken. We saw several people bringing on hard liquor, wine and beer at every port and nothing happened. As a matter of fact, they stopped scanning bags after the first port - so there was no security scanning at all on the ship after that. We also talked to several people in our roll call who brought wine and hard liquor onboard and it was not taken from them either.

We have friends that went on the Infinity to Alaska at the end of August and they walked on with several bottles of wine in their carry-on's and nothing was said. They also purchased several bottles of wine at each port and brought them on no problem.

So, my point is, that on Celebrity and RCCL, they don't seem to be enforcing this new rule at all. We are going on the Constellation in March but we will be flying to Florida so, of course, we will not be bringing any wine. We may pick some up in Ft. Lauderdale and carry it on and see what happens. We are not staying in Florida after the cruise, so if they take it away - the cabin steward will get a nice gift.

If you don't wish to bring any alcohol, then that is up to you. I just wanted people to know that if they wish to bring any wine - it worked for us.

Canuck

Thanks much for your comments. That is what I suspected but you never know when a new policy will be enforced. As I mentioned in my post we brought wine on board 2 years ago and had no problem but now with the airlines prohibition and the new $25 corkage fee it doesn't seem worth the effort. We like to have a bottle each night at dinner and also occasionally in the cabin but at $25 a pop that is a bit too much. Guess we'll try their selections or buy a package.

Appreciate your comment.

We saw several people bringing on hard liquor, wine and beer at every port and nothing happened. As a matter of fact, they stopped scanning bags after the first port - so there was no security scanning at all on the ship after that. We also talked to several people in our roll call who brought wine and hard liquor onboard and it was not taken from them either.

I surely don't like X's no wine to be brought on policy. But I think I like no scanning of bags even less. I was reading another post for another port too that also mentioned no scanning of bags. So do they think X ships won't blow up?

I bring wine onboard just like everybody else.In my carryon.But I also make my way over to the liquor store onboard after we get passed the 3 mile mark out to sea.Usuallly i wait till the end of the cruise to shop for some booze but i'll always get a bottle of vodka delivered to my stateroom on the first day.They won't advertise it but they will tell you that it has to stay in the cabin for consumption.Its never been a problem so far.I just ask.Has anyone else had this happen?

I bring wine onboard just like everybody else.In my carryon.But I also make my way over to the liquor store onboard after we get passed the 3 mile mark out to sea.Usuallly i wait till the end of the cruise to shop for some booze but i'll always get a bottle of vodka delivered to my stateroom on the first day.They won't advertise it but they will tell you that it has to stay in the cabin for consumption.Its never been a problem so far.I just ask.Has anyone else had this happen?

The liquor purchased in the onboard store is held in storage and delivered to your cabin on the final evening. It has been that way for some time.

If you are speaking of the option to buy at the "package" price that comes with mixers and nuts, that is available but you can most definitely not have any of the purchased liquor delivered to your cabin.

If you are speaking of the option to buy at the "package" price that comes with mixers and nuts, that is available but you can most definitely not have any of the purchased liquor delivered to your cabin.
Agree that that's the way it's supposed to work, but people have been skirting that one for years...may change now, but, for good or for bad, some staff have been willing.:rolleyes:

I like my cocktails thrown around by Sudi, so I'm willing to leave the cabin for 'em!:D

Andrew

Agree that that's the way it's supposed to work, but people have been skirting that one for years...may change now, but, for good or for bad, some staff have been willing.:rolleyes:

Andrew, you are a wealth of information:). I never would have thought to ask...

The liquor purchased in the onboard store is held in storage and delivered to your cabin on the final evening. It has been that way for some time.

If you are speaking of the option to buy at the "package" price that comes with mixers and nuts, that is available but you can most definitely not have any of the purchased liquor delivered to your cabin.[/quote I'm not speaking of any policies or options,I'm just saying that if you ask for a bottle to consume in your cabin you can get one.Next your going to tell me that you can't get a free drink from any of the lounges!

Happy Cruzer - Regarding the "no scanning" of bags after the 1st day in the 1st port - we did go through Hawaiian (US) port security before boarding the tenders. They were very thorough - spread eagle searches with the wand and usually went through the bags as well - but no electronic scanners. We figured the ship thought that was adequate but we did think the same thing as you especially when we saw some people's bags not being checked. We were in complete disbelief the 1st time when we went to step on the ship and the scanner was closed and no one said anything to you - you just swiped your seapass card and on you went. It did make us wonder...

Canuck

[quote name='Spanky & Darla'][quote name='caviargal']I'm just saying that if you ask for a bottle to consume in your cabin you can get one.Next your going to tell me that you can't get a free drink from any of the lounges![/quote]

Since I generally assume the posted rules are the rules, I have never asked anyone to bend them for me. Since the days that liquor began to be held til the final evening that is exactly what I expected and received as I usually buy my bottles early on so as not to be disappointed.

And I never tried to get a free drink in any of the lounges and cannot imagine asking or expecting one personally!

Caviargal,

I get free drinks, too, and I'm assuming that what Spanky/Darla is refering to is the same thing-drinks proferred by the bartender in gratitude for continued and constant patronage throughout the cruise- obviously a sign that I buy too many other folks rounds of drinks!;) And possibly a sign that I overtip....(oh, how gauche of you, Andrew!) These complimentary drinks are standard practice in most bars and restaurants for good customers. Isn't that it's asked for, or expected, just that it does happen, and that Spanky/Darla and I are aware of the practice.:)

But some would argue that there's no such thing as a free drink....it's really just a discount on 'volume purchases!' :D

Of course, there are always the free drinks at the Captain's Club parties, too! :)

But then I guess it's part of your cruise fare...isn't it nice that all those first time cruisers underwrite the cocktails at that party for the rest of us!:eek:

Andrew

[quote name='Blazerboy']Caviargal,

I get free drinks, too, and I'm assuming that what Spanky/Darla is refering to is the same thing-drinks proferred by the bartender in gratitude for continued and constant patronage throughout the cruise- obviously a sign that I buy too many other folks rounds of drinks!;)

Andrew[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification...now I get it:).

I think perhaps I am not enough of a regular at the bar to rate any free drinks on any line but I do have sommeliers offer me a nice glass of "special" wines now and again. Niceties are always appreciated.

Have a great cruise:D

[quote name='Blazerboy']O.k., if you insist!;)

(Thanks for the nice wishes, we are SO looking forward to this...:) )

Andrew[/quote]

If we ever cruise together, the first round is on me. Your help with my trip to SFO last winter was very helpful and Jazz at Pearls is a place we intend to make a regular stop. New Years Eve there was a delight:D.

FYI, I am posting this message on several boards discussing similar issues:

just had a calm, fair, concerned and fully satisfying phone conversation with Ms. Jayme Porkolab, Customer Relations Director, about the corkage fee increase and other customer relations issues (both positive and negative). I felt that I was heard and that my concerns would be shared with the appropriate excutives. She indicated that she was tracking customer responses about the more than 60% increase in corkage fees and they would be shared at the monthly meetings about such issues. No promises, of course, but an excellent example of excellent customer service - the type that I expect from Celebrity.

As I've posted before, I believe it is important to share your concerns/issues in a thoughtful and problem-solving way in the hope of receiving a like response. I encourage anyone else who feels strongly about this (or any issue) to forward your communication to Ms Porkolab.

[COLOR=DarkOrchid][SIZE=3][FONT=Arial Black]Hope this reaches some people who had not written and they will know that it is not too late! They can still email and have their feelings and thoughts known.

There are addresses and email addresses in the 'don't feel the $25 wine corkage, etc' thread under my postings. Please take a minute to let corporate know that you do have concerns about this issue.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Archived