Question For Techies

j!m

if i bring my laptop to keep in touch with folks at home, will it work on ship? will i be able to access my network server via dail up or will i have to pay x for connection and time charges?

would appreciate any info to help

You have to pay the connection fee (the key so to speak to connect your laptop with the ship's server). Then you pay a per minute charge.

The internet service is through satellite... and is spotty.

Check out Celebrity's @Sea sight

http://www.celebrityatsea.com/index.aspx?value=6

You can either send e-mails from your cruise e-mail account at a rate of $2.00 per e-mail (100kb) or you can access the web at a coust of 50-75 cents a minute.

You might thing about composing your e-mails and then taking your laptop to an internet cafe to transmit.

...... and prepare yourself for a slow connection, about the same speed as past times dial-up modem connections.

..... and depending on your cabin location you will not have WIFI in your cabin, but will have to go to one of the public spaces go get access.

..... You can however buy in-cabin access (via cable). This will cost an additional USD 10 per 24 hours.

.... and depending on the policies of your ISP you may not be able to access your e-mail server via a standard e-mail client (i.e. outlook og outlook-express) in which case you must use a web-mail service in stead.

All that said, it is quite easy to make it work. But if you plan to use it more that for a couple of plain e-mail, it is will quickly show on your ship-board account.

DaneViking

Be aware that there are occassional satellite problems that affect the service.

We were down for 7 of 7 days on Infinity and, because I had issues at work that needed attention, I spent several hours in each port finding and using an internet cafe.

Archived