Does the automatic tip pool include

PhoneGoddess

I would like to take this question a bit farthur. We are booked on the Crown 01/20. If one tips the cabin steward, waiter, room service waiter, etc., are they allowed to keep that tip, or are they required to turn it into the pool? I ask because we were on HAL, which also has tipping added automatically, earlier this year, and were told that this is what the crew is required to do on that line. Initially we were told this by a fellow passenger, but we did verify it with the Purser's Office. We still added substantial tips to the waiters and room steward, along with daily tips to the room service waiter who brought our morning coffee and snack.

Personally I would prefer that tips for additional, outstanding service would be kept by the individual renering it.

If you leave the auto-tip in place and tip additionally, the person you've tipped gets to keep it. If you remove the auto-tip, they must turn it into the tipping pool where it's distributed to all participants. And yes, they do know who has removed or left on the auto-tip. If the person doesn't turn in the tip, they risk being fired and sent home, not something they take lightly.
What about bartenders? A 15% service charge seems to be standard, but after frequenting the same bar regularly, with good service, and substantial drinks, I am inclined to throw a buck or two down.
Yes, the 15% service charge for drinks and soft drinks is shared by the bar staff. And yes, I've tipped bar staff extra for remembering what I like and providing extra-special service.

I would actually prefer it if they went back to a choice between cash and credit cards, and individual tipping. I suppose there are too many not-tippers for that to happen.
I disagree. There were lots of non-tippers and staff who were stiffed before auto-tipping. It would be even worse if it went back to the former system with passengers mostly stiffing the staff in the buffet and Anytime dining. Passengers are not about to make a list of everyone who served them during a cruise and then search for them on the last night. People totally forget that the buffet staff and the breakfast/lunch dining staff participate in the pool and they provide service as well as your dinner waiters. Just look at all the posts by people looking to bring their own alcohol or soft drinks onboard. For the most part, they're looking to save money so you can bet they'll find other ways to save as well, including reducing or non-tipping.

the people who deliver your room service orders?

My husband has coffee and I always have tea. We also request juice and one roll. For this service, we always tip two or three dollars. Seems like the right thing to do!

Since so many of the staff has been specified, you would think that they would actually say that room service staff is included in this tip. I just sent an email to passenger relations asking this question and I will report back if and when I hear anything.

Thank you. I will appreciate hearing what their response is.

Thanks to everyone for their responses, but I'm getting the feeling that some people might be assuming that I asked this question in order to "get out" of tipping. That is not my intention at all. Actually, the reason that I wanted to know was so that I could determine how much "extra" I would like to give, and that of course is a personal decision that I do not base on how much other people give.

Again, thanks to all for their input.:)

Our waitress on the Crown finally settled this for us. We had the same questions as we order room service daily. Princess, as well as every other cruiseline, includes the room service staff in the tipping pool. The reason you sign is the same reason you give them your room number during personal choice dining....to share in this pool. We still questioned whether or not the room service stewards received their fare share. We were informed by our waitress (the one who's husband worked onboard as part of the room service staff) that they indeed share in this pool. Why would she make that up...that is their livelihood? Anyhow, they ccertainly do appreciate the few dollars over and above whatever they get from the pool. It doesn't seem to be expected, which makes it nicer yet to give them a little something extra.

Archived