Can you carry scissors in your purse onto the ship?

Caitlyn

I want to use the plastic ties since they say to "lock" your suitcases. I have two zipper pockets on the front of my suitcases and the only thing that will work is the long plastic ties (not sure what they are really called). Can I carry a pair of scissors in my purse onto the ship or is this a "no-no"? I would need scissors to cut the ties off the zippers when we get our suitcases back. Thanks for any info:)

When we boarded the Paradise, they made me take out my scissors ( I always carry a small one in my cosmetic bag) and they had a line marked on the table. They put my scissors on it to see how long they were. My scissors were about 1/4 inch shorter then the line. They gave them back.

I questioned them about this.....all they said was "security reasons"

I thought that was the stupidest thing I have ever heard. If I wanted to stab someone......duh, I could just pick up a knife from the dining room LOL!

Never happened again.

I took my sewing scissors in my carry on at Galveston. I was sewing some shell buttons, etc on a piece of netting for my daughter - who wanted to be a mermaid for the Mardi Gras deck party.

They didn't say a word. Also carry in 4 bottles of wine for our anniversary - no questions.

Kappy:o

I want to use the plastic ties since they say to "lock" your suitcases.

Where did you see that you should "lock" your suitcases? Was it Carnival? Are you driving to the pier and not flying? Asking these questions because I thought the new rule was "no more locking," unless you want your lock cut off. Did they change this rule?

Where did you see that you should "lock" your suitcases? Was it Carnival? Are you driving to the pier and not flying? Asking these questions because I thought the new rule was "no more locking," unless you want your lock cut off. Did they change this rule?

Airplanes either unlocked or use TSA approved locks, for the pier - LOCKED per Carnival.

:) We are driving to the port and parking our car there. I read that you should "lock" your suitcases. So I thought I would use the ties because locks would not work on all of my zippers on the suitcase. Thanks for the info.

Wow! Eight cruises and i've never locked with any of the cruise lines i've used. Now, I wonder if i shld have! Why do they say this? Do they not trust their own people? On my last flight to SLC my family had 10 suitcases (we don't normally have that much, were bringing stuff over). Every single one of our bags had a TSA inspection paper in it. I know that's air, not ship, but if they care enough to do at least random inspections at the airports, how come they don't care at the pier? That's not too comforting.

Wow! Eight cruises and i've never locked with any of the cruise lines i've used. Now, I wonder if i shld have! Why do they say this? Do they not trust their own people? On my last flight to SLC my family had 10 suitcases (we don't normally have that much, were bringing stuff over). Every single one of our bags had a TSA inspection paper in it. I know that's air, not ship, but if they care enough to do at least random inspections at the airports, how come they don't care at the pier? That's not too comforting.

I use the plastic ties to "lock" my suitcases. The TSA folks have opened my bags several times, always leaving a form. The last trip someone gave me a hint, place a new plastic tie inside the suitcase in a zip lock bag and the TSA will place it on after inspection. Sure enough they did!!! One at home was green, one inside was red. I knew my bag was searched even before I opened it!!! Also, I place nurse/hospital style sissors inside my check in bags and have never had an issue (in the same little bag with my makeup and toothpaste). I would not risk a carry on in my purse if flying. Now, if you are doing a walk on at the pier, sure...just less that 4 inches long (security ruling)

Wow! Eight cruises and i've never locked with any of the cruise lines i've used. Now, I wonder if i shld have! Why do they say this? Do they not trust their own people?

The porters are not Carnival employees and the instructions stating you should lock them are in your Welcome Aboard Booklet. Yes, you should lock them next time.

Lock any and all bags you are giving up to a dock side porter. They do not work for Carnival, they are with an outside company. Jan. 2005 boarding Holiday in Mobile, (I was traveling with 2 of my girlfriends) One of the girlfriends bag did not show up untill after 10PM I got mine and another got hers just after 6Pm. Well, when the late bag showed up... everything in it that was a size small was gone. She had to borrow my shoes for the week. They even got the top half of her P J's. Needless to say we were told by Purser there was nothing they could do about it. I recomend travel insurance and lock your bags.

I always carry nail clippers too.

Wow. Thanks for the info. It's sad to hear that things were stolen from your friend's bags. I hope she was able to have a half way decent time on her cruise. Things like that can ruin the mood immediately. You'd think Carnival wld report it to the company they contract with once stories like that start filtering in (or to the Port, if they are Port employees). And that the contracting company wld really keep a tighter rein on these guys, not wanting to lose that baggage handling contract. I will definitely lock from here on in. But out of curiosity, which Port did you leave from? My unlocked bags have always gone through either Orlando or Miami. Was it one of these? if so, Guess i've just been lucky.

The stolen clothes were at Port of Mobile AL. We boarded the Holiday. It was reported as soon as her bag arrived in the hallway 7 or more doors up from our cabin, the tag had been removed but still wound up on the correct deck, Riv. Deck 3...who fig:rolleyes: . It was also reported to Carnival Corp. when we got back to Atlanta. Nothing was ever done about this. I ended up buying her a few things to wear in the gift shop and loaned her my sandels for the cruise which were much to big for her. We still tried to have a good time in spite of the way things started out. Loved the ship.:D

Had a blast at the sail away party on the lido deck, we were the non-drinking crazy women and we all danced our booties off anyway.

I think a lot of these responses are missing the point. Ships can't use the same guidelines as airlines do for what is in carryon bags. The purpose of the TSA guidelines is to keep you separated from what is in the checked bags so you can't get into them while you are on the plane. Since you are reunited with your luggage on the ship you have access to everything you brought with you. It would make little sense to confiscate something at embarkation that you would receive in a couple of hours anyway. This of course only applies if you are not flying to the ship. If you are flying, you could also move items into your carryon once you leave the plane so you could carry on whatever items you choose. Hope this helps.

Archived