Transfers!!!! (and other isssues)

Regarding your flights

Sounds as though you got the cruise/air package together.

Nice thing about this is that the tickets will be the Least restrictive. In other words, if there are delays due to weather or such, Call Carnival and keep them up to date on your travel plans.

The bad thing is they are the most expensive in most cases. Also, Carnival only purchases the ticket. They DO NOT assign seating. A good TA would stay on top of things and get your assigned seats ASAP, but it doesn't sound like you have a good TA.

Here's how I got around this. I went to a travel web site. I typed in my day of travel to MIA. Carnival usually stays with the major airlines. I looked for which airlines had direct flights from my departure city to my destination city.

For me, it was only 2 or 3 airlines.

Then around 45 days out, I called their reservation 800# late at night when they would be less busy. I explained my situation and asked if they could look up my possible reservation. On the 2nd Airline, I lucked out. Yes, they had my reservation and No, there were no seats assigned. They hooked me up right away.

Hope this helps and don't sweat the small stuff. You learned some valuable lessons doing this the way you have. You've gained some valuable experience, and you're going on a cruise. Some people dream a lifetime to have your experience.

The seating issue doesn't bother me too much...as long as I'm sitting next to my husband. I'm not a big fan of flying anyway, so it really won't matter to me where I sit, I'll still hate it :)

Mrs. Belated - where in Illinois are you from? Close to Midway? Southwest has some terrific prices - we got round trip to Miami for $147 per person taxes paid. More than enough left over for a good hotel - but wait, we saved $ on that with that bidding site William Shatner hauks, so now we have even MORE $ for the most important thing on a cruise - UMBRELLA DRINKS! ;)

If I can answer more specific questions, be glad to help. Drop me an email. I have done TONS of research on the Miami area for our cruise and vacation next month in Miami. Taking DH, and my folks for their first cruise and a few days in SoBe, then the last Nascar race. All arrangements are made. Dad says I should have been a travel agent - but I make much more $$ doing what I do so I can TRAVEL - not just book other people's paradise! :D

Sorry to hear about your trouble with your TA. I always do my own footwork to find the best deals and come out far better than any TA. If any I hired gave me this type of grief they would be fired! As a note to you on Miami Hotels, I found a LaQuinta on Lejuene, which is 5 minutes from the airport for 77.00 a night on Priceline. I had booked the hotel directly previously through the hotels reservationist. Last week Priceline sent me the "FALL Sale" advertisement in which I got the $77.00 rate with taxes included, so I booked and paid through Priceline and cancelled my reservation I made directly with the hotel. The offer free hotel shuttle from/to the airport and port! They also offer free breakfast.

Well, unfortunately, the amount of money that it would cost us to fire the TA and start all over would actually be more than it would be to just stay at the cruise line hotel. So, I guess that's what we're going to do and just chalk it up to experience. It's actually a very cheap lesson learned considering...

Well, unfortunately, the amount of money that it would cost us to fire the TA and start all over would actually be more than it would be to just stay at the cruise line hotel. So, I guess that's what we're going to do and just chalk it up to experience. It's actually a very cheap lesson learned considering...

wow-- what the heck kind of rates is the agent charging--usually "SOME" agents will charge only 50 bucks. (unless you paid the final payment?)

next time-- book the cruise and do the rest yourself-- you will save loads.

Yep, the information I learned from this place allowed me to be sort of my own travel agent. Booked the first three cruise with a local TA and the last six on my own.

wow-- what the heck kind of rates is the agent charging--usually "SOME" agents will charge only 50 bucks. (unless you paid the final payment?)

Well, the TA would only charge us $50 for cancelling with her. The rest of the money that I would lose comes from the fact that our travel insurance is non-refundable. At this point in time, I'm at peace now with my decision to just chalk it up to a newbie error and hope most of the big wrinkles are ironed out by February.

The seating issue doesn't bother me too much...as long as I'm sitting next to my husband. I'm not a big fan of flying anyway, so it really won't matter to me where I sit, I'll still hate it :)

Thats my point exactly. Without assigned seating there is no guarantee that you'll be seated next to your husband. You could be in row 27 and he'll be in row 14.

Now most single travelers will switch seats with someone to allow a family to sit together in this kind of circumstance. The times that they won't switch seats is when you ask someone in an isle or window seat to switch to a middle seat.

Well, the TA would only charge us $50 for cancelling with her. The rest of the money that I would lose comes from the fact that our travel insurance is non-refundable. At this point in time, I'm at peace now with my decision to just chalk it up to a newbie error and hope most of the big wrinkles are ironed out by February.

for future reference-- www.insuremytrip.com instead of buying insurance through the agency.

you can also cancel part of your trip-- air fare and hotel at a considerable saving.. I will be almsot 400pp savings= to do it yourself.

Insurance should still be the same= you also have til final payment to cancel that too

If it makes you feel any better, February is peak season in South Florida and everything is expensive and booked up.

Your TA's hands may be tied by Carnival and while I totally understand you are frustrated, it will not help getting angry with her.

Take a step back, breath in, breath out, and say to yourself, "how lucky am I that I'm taking a FABULOUS cruise in February to the sunny warm Caribbean while the rest of the US is cold, frozen, snowy, and grey!".

Archived