Please help me decide what to do when ship returns

kpgclark

Our ship returns on a Sunday into Miami (Freedom of the Seas) and our flight out of FLL is at 7pm. This is the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I don't want to rent a car because it is too much of a hassle and I don't want to do a ship excursion through Miami or the Everglades because they make you get off the ship too early. Bearing this in mind what the heck can we do to kill some time that day? I would rather not spend hours in the FLL airport especially since the airport will certainly be crowded since it is the busiest travel day of the year. We are a family of four and we will of course have at least four pieces of baggage. Ideas PLEASE!!!!!

Have you thought about simply getting a hotel room for the day that has free shuttle service to the airport? You could relax and enjoy the hotel's amenities, not to mention you wouldn't have to sit in those hard chairs at the airport.:eek:

This would also be cheaper than paying for an excursion for a family of 4.

Just a thought.:)

Here are some that my sister in law has stayed at with shuttle transportation (she's in MIA on business quite often):

1. Sofitel Miami (usually her first pick)
  2. Embassy Suites- Miami International Airport (great stay, but the food is terrible in her opinion)
  3. Summerfield Suites-Miami Airport
  4. Miami International Airport Hotel (conveniently located in the MIA Airport but has lacked in service each time she as stayed there for layovers:( ; offers a complimentary shuttle to Dolphin Mall outlet center:D )

Hope this helps. I'd definitely call about the shuttle transportation, and perhaps read some reviews on Expedia, Orbitz, Tripadvisor.com, etc.

I'd get a rental car at the port - free shuttles to their locations...can rent the car there and then lock up the luggage etc while you visit some beaches, see sites in and around Miami - then drop the car at the Fort Lauderdale location....cost is about 100.00 for this - not much more than just transportation for 4 straight from the boat to the airport. I'd prefer the feedom to go where I want when I want rather than paying much more for a decent hotel that you are only going to be using for about 6 - 7 hours at best, and then relying on their airport transport.

Isn't there any way to get an earlier flight? Nothing is worse than ending a great vacation by trying to "kill time"! If you can't change your flight, I'd go with the hotel room--that way, you have a "home base", so to speak. The

2nd worse thing is driving around with no place to "land!"

I wish I could get an earlier flight but there is only one USA3000 flight per day! Since it is the day after Thanksgiving it was the least expensive route home so I booked it.

Any other hotel suggestions for FLL?

Don't know too much about the hotles but since Miami is really so close to FLL maybe the Miami hotels would offer transport to FLL. Whatever you do you better do it soon. Most places could be booked. Have \a fun safe trip.

It depends on how much $$ you want to spend. I think the best hotel on the beach (FtL) is the Marriott Harbor Beach. It is lovely and they may have a day rate. They have a pool and a private beach. It's not far from the airport and they will probably have cabs waiting for guests at all times to take you to the airport.

There are other (plenty) activities going on around here since we love tourists! There is an exhibit from the Titanic in Miami (not sure if it will still be there on your date) at the Miami Museum of Science. If you're a science buff, the exhibition "bodies" will be at Sunset Place. This is the exhibit from China of the real human bodies plasticized.

We have planetariums, museums, kids' activities, etc.

Oh, I forgot. RCI has a new program where they will take your bags to the airport and check them in for you for only $10. My understanding is that you have to get them through customs but after that RCI takes care of it all, so you won't have any bags with you. This can substantially free you up to do virtually anything. Give RCI a call and ask them for definitive details.

If I'm not mistaken that program for luggage to airport is only for American Airlines. Check it out. If you can get rid of your luggage, take a cab to Riverside in Fort Lauderdale. It's a nice place to walk around and the water taxi is there. About $10 pp and lasts about 1 1/2 hours if you don't get off. It goes thru the intercoastal. You can get on and off at many nice places to walk around. Get of at Las Olas Blvd and enjoy the beauty of Fort Lauderdale in the old days. You can sit outdoors and have drinks and eat lunch/dinner.

Archived