Hubbard Glacier - Has your ship never made it there?

mrstay

We are booked for the Mercury cruise next year and it goes to the Hubbard Glacier. One of my friends that is going with me mentioned that she heard that sometimes the ships cannot make it through because of the ice. We are going in mid- September. I could see that happening maybe in May. Has anyone had Hubbard on their itinerary, yet your ship was unable to make it there? If so, what time of year were you cruising?

Here is a response from YUKON (Murray) in another thread from May:

That's correct - the Sawyer glaciers are often not approachable due to ice. At Hubbard, a narrow channel usually separates Disenchantment Bay from Russell Fiord. In 1986 and 2002, the glacier advanced and blocked this channel, backing up the waters of Russell Fiord. When that ice dam burst in 1986, the flow through this gap was twice the size of the lower Mississippi! In 2002, ships didn't approach the glacier at all due to the danger of that happening again (it turned out to be a much more gradual break).

I remember the whole thing with the glacier blocking the channel, but I saw Hubbard around 6/26/2002. It's really spectacular.

Our August 6th Radiance of The Seas cruise made it into Hubbard but we didn't see anything due to foggy and rainy weather conditions. Captain barely stayed a half hour. Previous two trips to Hubbard were gorgeous.

If your weather is clear, you can see Hubbard from way off. You also will hear of many, "closest" all season reports. Most often, Hubbard is seen. No way to predict the weather, nor worth the effort to worry about it. If you want to see glaciers, best is to have several viewings planned. Consider getting to Mendenhall, flightseeing etc. .

You also will hear of many, "closest" all season reports. .

LOL-I was wondering if I was the only one that noticed this. It's almost as if whenever they get close at all, the passengers are told "this is the closest we've been able to get all year". Although I do guess it's possible for every cruise to get closer than the one before :)

jmo

-Monte

LOL-I was wondering if I was the only one that noticed this. It's almost as if whenever they get close at all, the passengers are told "this is the closest we've been able to get all year". Although I do guess it's possible for every cruise to get closer than the one before :)

jmo

-Monte

I hear that too! Our captain didn't say that, but he did say that it was one of the best days weather-wise.

Archived