I need help from North Jerseyians near Cape Liberty!

ChristieNJ

Hey fellow Jerseyians!!

We are booked out of Cape Liberty for next October of '07. Next Sunday (10/29), my family and I wanted to take a drive up to the Cape Liberty port and show my daughter the RC Explorer, as it will be her first cruise. So here is my question:

Is there any way we can park the car there and just walk around the area to show her the ship and watch sailaway?

Or...

Would we be able to see the Explorer's sailaway from Liberty State Park? (Near the Science Center) That's a nice area, so we thought that would be a good idea also.

Thanks for any info! This will be my first time out of NJ here, and I can't wait! I'm from Ocean County and ecstatic that I can finally depart out of NJ for once! lol

I've only sailed on the Zenith out of Bayonne and although there is parking ,the check in station is a bus ride of about 2-3 minutes to the dock.I'm not sure,with security these days if you would be allowed to walk the area.

Liberty State Park is about 2 miles away and not a good vantage point since the harbor dock is in an inlet.

If you could time it right-say 20 minutes to a half hour,after sailing, and took the trouble to walk across it ,you might be able to see her from above on the Verrazano Bridge. Could make for some great pictures too.

I'm not sure you could park anywhere at Cape Liberty without paying the daily parking fee. Next to Cape Liberty is a shopping plaza. You might be able to drive past the Stop N Shop towards the water and have a view of the ship leaving port. Liberty State Park is about 2 miles north of Cape Liberty and the ship heads south from the port. It's worth driving up and taking a look around. You might come across a good spot.

Hey fellow Jerseyians!!

We are booked out of Cape Liberty for next October of '07. Next Sunday (10/29), my family and I wanted to take a drive up to the Cape Liberty port and show my daughter the RC Explorer, as it will be her first cruise. So here is my question:

Is there any way we can park the car there and just walk around the area to show her the ship and watch sailaway?

Or...

Would we be able to see the Explorer's sailaway from Liberty State Park? (Near the Science Center) That's a nice area, so we thought that would be a good idea also.

Thanks for any info! This will be my first time out of NJ here, and I can't wait! I'm from Ocean County and ecstatic that I can finally depart out of NJ for once! lol

I would be concerned about whether you could get in there with the security. As an alternative you could take a ride out to Sandy Hook and watch the ship as she comes under the Verizzano Bridge and then out to sea. It is at exit 117 GSP, rt. 36 to Sandy Hook. On a nice day you have a great view of New York and the ships.

I posted this answer on the Royal boards also:

Right off Route 440 there is a street called Pulaski Street. You turn onto that street and drive down to the end and you'll have the best view of the ships docked at Cape Liberty. We have been there many times and that's by far the BEST view.

I posted this answer on the Royal boards also:

Right off Route 440 there is a street called Pulaski Street. You turn onto that street and drive down to the end and you'll have the best view of the ships docked at Cape Liberty. We have been there many times and that's by far the BEST view.

One thing that you MUST do when in Bayonne is go a short distance to 736 Broadway. They have incredible Chruschicki ,cream puffs,jully dougnuts and half moon cake...not to be missed.The filled onion rolls are fabulous too.

One thing that you MUST do when in Bayonne is go a short distance to 736 Broadway. They have incredible Chruschicki ,cream puffs,jully dougnuts and half moon cake...not to be missed.The filled onion rolls are fabulous too.

Ok I just got done losing the 4 pounds I gained on the Freedom of the Seas! You're not helping me maintain that loss!! hehehehe :p

Thanks SO much everyone!! Big help!

Kewlguy, yes I just saw your other post, and I think that sounds like the way to go. Now, when you're on 440 South (coming from the TPKE), what comes first: The cruise port or Pulaski Street?

Pulaski Street comes first. It's the block before the cruise port. On the left at the light. Easy to find on mapquest. :)

Anyone know best way to get us and luggage from Manhattan to Port Liberty. Taxi, Limo, etc. and projected cost? Can't seem to find that info anywhere online. Thanks

There is no public transportation to Cape Liberty. I would guess a limo would be your best bet. Not sure of the cost. Cape Liberty is a stones throw from Newark Airport.

Archived