Questions about the port of Norfolk

riptide

We are sailing to the Southern Caribbean on 11/8. Since we are only about a four and half hour drive away, we plan on driving to the terminal on the day of our cruise. Reportedly we should be able to embark at 1PM. Are there any opinions regarding when we should be at the terminal? I plan on allowing at least an hour for parking and making my way back to the terminal etc. We are always early to everything but don’t want to be at the terminal for hours before we have any tasks to be completed prior to embarking. It is my understanding that Norfolk is not a real organized port, so that has a influence on my concern. Also, are there any ideas for activities in the immediate area to help pass the time?

The whole area is a wonderful area and chock full of...no not that coffee... so many things to do and history.

One of my first cousins, from the Commenwealth of Massachusetts, wedding reception was the only and the first to be in the Museum there. It has phenominal collections.

One of my second Cousins there then was a Nuclear Egr.as was her husband.

So many nice things to do and see in Norfolk itself. Staying at the Hyatt is a great place and using the water taxis too can be of great benefit.

Research your trip there even from the Chamber of Commerce and Tourism sites... etc...:D

Are youall taking that 22 1/2 mile Bay Bridge Tunnel? They have fising in some spots on it too..

Again so very much to see and do...

Jamestown was founded 05/14/1607 ... thats then FOUR HUNDRETH coming now...

PS: any Port is as organized as you make your plans in it....:cool:

Are youall taking that 22 1/2 mile Bay Bridge Tunnel? They have fising in some spots on it too..

Again so very much to see and do...

Speaking of fishing, there's a Bass Pro Shop in Hampton if you're coming over the Bay Bridge Tunnel. And Virginia Air & Space Center is a museum located in Hampton, Virginia (close to Williamsburg and Virginia Beach) that offers a collection of more than 100 ...

www.vasc.org/Children and Grands live in VA Beach, and I agree - so much to see and do.

Bev

You are mistaken about boarding. They'll start going aboard no later than 11:30, if the ship is on time.

The headache you'll face is the parking lot. They won't let you in before a ceratin time. If you search my footprint on this site from February, you'll see when. Pain in the tail.

The Nauticus, where the ship docks, is a great museum. We also loved the Chrysler Museum and the MacArthur Museum.

But sounds like you're arriving on sail day so you won't want to do anything by get aboard the wonderful MAASDAM.

When u see Captain Henk, tell him Mariner says hola!

If you're planning on arriving the day before, check with the Radisson in Norfolk. Last season they had a deal where you got free parking and shuttle service from the hotel to the ship and back again for free if you stayed there one night. The ship "terminal" is at Nauticus - a maritime museum - and the battleship Wisconsin is right there as well. It's a great way to spend a few hours if you get to the pier early.

Thanks to everyone for such quick responses and wonderful suggestions. Mariner- Your comment about a 11:30 boarding is what I suspected. Our docs say 1PM, but our past experiences say differently. Unfortunately we will not be able to go the night before. We have a jammed packed calendar right up to our sailing date. We always "need" a cruise, but I think the timing for this one is especially at a time of "need". I hadn't considered the bay bridge/tunnel until it was mentioned. I think we will do it. I have been over it several times including its inaugural year. It is always a great travel diversion. Again- Thank You to everyone! Wish me luck!!!!

As a resident of the Hampton Roads area, I just wanted to interject--If you're going through Hampton, you'll need to go through the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel or the Monitor Merrimac Bridge Tunnel. The 20-mile Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel connects the "southside" Va to the beautiful, mostly unspoiled eastern shore and is not near Hampton. Too many bridges and tunnels, I know, and that's not even mentioning the midtown and downtown tunnels or the dozens of bridges we have. Just try to get around this area in rush hour traffic!!! :eek:

I hope you have a great cruise! :)

hi. i live in norfolk and have sailed the maasdam. parking downtown can be a pain. but there is plenty to do. waterside is walking distance with lots of shops, restaurants and a great view of the elizabeth river. the wisconsin is fun. nauticus is cool. and you can probably check online to see what exhibits are at the chrysler. happy sailing.

I'd recommend against heading to Ft. Story; I've spent a good bit of time on base there, and don't feel that there is that much for a civilian to do on base. The lighthouse is fun (and quite a climb) and the views from the top are quite nice, but that's about it. I doubt you'd be looking for beach time, but the beaches on base are quite nice. There is public beach access just south of the South Entrance (its rarely crowded there, even in season - probably because of the proximity to the restricted access areas just north).

If you are set on going somewhere, I'd suggest a quick cab ride to the Chrysler Museum of Art; its five minutes tops from Nauticus, and the collections there are quite nice.

In truth, you'll have so little time before boarding (knocking on wood) that I'd just hang around Nauticus and watch the activities on the water.

-Operator

In truth, you'll have so little time before boarding (knocking on wood) that I'd just hang around Nauticus and watch the activities on the water.

-Operator

That's what we plan to do, this Saturday:D Hoping the weather is nice....

True ... they will not let you in the HAL recommended parking lot until all cars from previous cruise are gone. You could end up sitting in line a long time ... which means you won't have time to sightsee anyway.

Last cruise out of Norfolk we were so tired of the mess at the parking lot we returned to the Pier ... :D parked right across the street in a parking garage for something like $20 more for the stay ... and spent a couple of hours downtown. Well worth the extra $$!

Linda & Vern

Maasdam Christmas & New Years 2004

Maasdam Thanksgiving 2005

Veendam Christmas 2006

http://www.cruisenorfolk.org/parking.html

The Norfolk port parking website (Cedar Grove) doesn't say anything at all about having to wait for previous cruisers to leave the lot--I read the FAQ and all the info on the parking page. I searched for previous reports and couldn't find anything.

We're leaving home at 7:00am Saturday, assume we'll reach Norfolk around 11:30-12:00 (fingers crossed) and will drop off our bags to check at the dock and then park....

Not that I am an expert on Norfolk, only cruised out of there once, we did find a wait to get into the parking lot at around 11AM on embarkation day. However that was not a major problem for us, embarkation compared to debarkation was a breeze.

Once we got off the ship, we had a 10 hour drive in front of us, baggage was all over the place- we spent at least a half hour looking for our four bags. Then a long wait for the bus- the best move we made was to take a cab to the parking lot- probably saved us at least an hour. If you can I would recommend finding alternative parking.

We had a great cruise, a great crew etc. honestly this was our only problem. No matter where you park I am sure you will as well.

The Norfolk port parking website (Cedar Grove) doesn't say anything at all about having to wait for previous cruisers to leave the lot--I read the FAQ and all the info on the parking page. I searched for previous reports and couldn't find anything.

I can confirm what others have said about parking. You will sit in a LONG line of cars waiting for the lot to clear from previous cruisers. This, plus the surly cop at the pier (read my review which was posted as a thread here back in March, and the knowing agreement from others who knew exactly who I was talking about) are enough to keep me from cruising out of Norfolk again. In fact, in exactly a month I'm cruising almost the exact same itinerary, but flying to Tampa to do it because that entire process will be less hassle than dealing with Norfolk again. (Don't get me wrong--my family loves to visit Norfolk for many reasons, but boarding a cruise ship there won't be one of them.)

Iceman--I read your review and other negative reviews, but I've also read some reviews of positive experiences. It's not something I can really control at this point, so I'm just going to stay positive and hope that we have a GOOD experience with which to start our fabulous vacation:D

Archived