Best entree and dessert in Portofinos

My favorite dish at Portofino was the "Risotto Ai Gamberetti", huge tiger shrimps sauteed with fresh herbs, served on a bed of creamy saffron risotto.

For dessert, our favorite was "CrostataDi Ricotta Alle Albicocche", an apricot-ricotta tart, served with a white chocolate brulee and brandied apricots.

The "Dolcetti Alla Portofino" is a dessert sampler with flourless chocolate cake, tiramissu, pistachio panna cotta and a fourth sampler. It sounded really good on the menu, but the execution left a lot to be desired. It was not totally defrosted and the small portions of the individual desserts did not do justice to the original ones.

one of the things that make portofinos so great is that you can have anything from the menu and any portion size. so...my typical portofinos meal is......

risotto with tiger shrimp as an appy

1/2 portion of this pasta dish that has a creamy mushroom suace (to die for)

filet mignon for dinner

desert sampler for desert

now there have been times that i was just too full to eat my desert so......they wrapped it up and it was sent to my cabin as room service. a few hours later, i got a cup of coffee and enjoy:D

I can't remember the name of the dish but it is pasta with pieces of italian sausage in it. Too die for!!!! I also vote for the dessert sampler for dessert. A little taste of everything! I also love the made to order salad where they come to your table and make it up fresh. Boy am I getting hungry just thinking about this.

I had the filet and it was wonderful!. I started with the tiger shrimp over rissotto (yummy) and loved the ceasar salad made tableside. By the time the dessert came I was so stuffed that I just tasted each, but will take previous posters suggestion and have it wrapped for a late night snack.

Sue

Question from a "First-Timer".....

Can you order more than one of each item at Portofinos and Chops if you want it?...or do you just get one selection from each portion of the menu?

Can you sample two entrees instead of having a salad, for instance?

Thanks!

:)

Question from a "First-Timer".....

Can you order more than one of each item at Portofinos and Chops if you want it?...or do you just get one selection from each portion of the menu?

Can you sample two entrees instead of having a salad, for instance?

Thanks!

:)

Not sure if you can order two, but honestly I don't think the average or even above average person can eat two. The portions were more than adequate and we didn't even have the regular pasta course as we asked the waiter to just bring us a little sample to taste.

I vote for the seafood skewer as the main dish, and the shrimp over the risotto as an appetizer. The best dessert is the sampler because you get to taste a little of eveything! My favorite dessert on the sampler however was the flourless chocolate cake.

As to whether or not you can order two entrees, the answer is yes. Now whether you would WANT to order two entrees, the answer is NO. My husband's friend made that mistake on our last cruise and he was MISERABLE. He could not finish the second portion, had to get it wrapped up, and retired to the room early because he was so full . . . and he is a very, VERY hearty eater. I'm not shy when it comes to double portions either, and I could not have handled another entree, appetizer or dessert. But if you are up to the challenge, go for it, there is not a restriction on how much you can order.

I had the caprese appetizer, pear salad, ribbon pasta with gorgonzola mushroom sauce, (which was the best pasta I have ever had) and filet mignon. I was so stuffed by the time the filet came, I took one or two bites and that was it. I ordered the flourless chocolate cake to go.

Portofino is the best restaurant. I absolutely love going there and am looking forward to being there on Mariner. I can't imagine anyone ordering two entrees as there is soooooooooo much food. I think somewhere I read that if you wanted a 2nd entree you had to pay $10 extra. I can't remember where I read that, or then again, maybe I dreamt it.

Just go and enjoy your dinner. You wil be full, beleive me.

Katie

My husband loves the carpaccio. We have also enjoyed the caprese. I usually order the pear salad with toasted walnuts. My favorite main course is the pasta with gorganzola mushroom sauce. On Freedom of the Seas, Portofino had a thick bean soup brought to the table in a special little turine and poured into a bowl. That soup was so delicious, I wish I had ordered two of those and NOTHING else.

For dessert, Hubby and I love the tiramisu which is served in an edible chocolate cup and has a little side apperitif. I give mine to hubby because I don't care about the apperitif.

After we ate at Portofino on Freedom, I was so full, I really believed I would have a heart attack! I was in pain for several hours and kicking myself for getting carried away. I tell myself every cruise after we eat at Portofino, that next time I will order less food. It is just too hard to eat something from every course. I don't see how anybody could, even the hardiest eaters. How anybody could order two entrees is way beyond my ability to imagine.

Archived