Melbourne Car Rental

mike35

We arrive Melbourne on the Statendam at 8:00 a.m., 1/4/07. We're interested in renting a car for the day and doing our own touring and sightseeing. I welcome any advice on car rentals in Melbourne - location near the dock? International driver's license required? Do they drive on the left or right side in AUS? Suggested sights. And any other info.

Many thanks

Mike

Yes, they drive on the left side of the road in Australia.

No, you don't need an international drivers license for Australia. However, you should double check with the car rental co. you rent from because they can have their own set of rules which differ from what the govt. requires.

That said, what are your plans for Melourne? Unless you're planning of going out of the city you really don't need one.

Melbourne is one of the easiest city to naviagate without wheels. There's a fantasic tram system, plenty of buses, taxi's are not expensive and easy to get and lastly, Melourne is a wonderfully walkable city.

Unless you're planning of going out of the city you really don't need one.

Melbourne is one of the easiest city to naviagate without wheels. There's a fantasic tram system, plenty of buses, taxi's are not expensive and easy to get and lastly, Melourne is a wonderfully walkable city.

The roads get pretty busy around the port area of Melbourne as well.We took a taxi back to the ship once and got caught in the rush hour gridlock.On the drivers advice we got out and walked/ran to the ship and just made it in time.The tram would have taken us directly to the pier.

If you are only there for a day the public transport into the city is great and if you want to get out a bit ,why not take a ships tour and enjoy your day without the hassles of working out which way to go in the traffic.

Thanks for the excellent feedback! We rarely take ship tours, but we'll definitely skip the car rental and rely on public transportation, tailoring our day in Melbourne to maximize its sights and sounds.

Mike

We arrive Melbourne on the Statendam at 8:00 a.m., 1/4/07. We're interested in renting a car for the day and doing our own touring and sightseeing. I welcome any advice on car rentals in Melbourne - location near the dock? International driver's license required? Do they drive on the left or right side in AUS? Suggested sights. And any other info.

Many thanks

Mike

If you end up looking for a private tour guide then i have a list of possible options if you would like them. Please advise. Regards Ian [Tauranga]

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't think you will need a private tour guide for Melbourne as it is such an easy city to get around and everything is within walking distance of Central Melbourne.

The Botanical Gardens are just a short tram ride from the city and are also quite an easy walk. The Exhibition Building and Museum are also very accessible.

We have a free tram which goes around the city. You can hop on or off at whim and get to see most of our attractions. Melbourne is a very easy walking city.

Jennie

• 9 months later...

I will be in Melbourne March of 08 on the Sapphire Princess. I have the opportunity to play a great golf course in RYE(Moonah Links Golf Club) about an hour and half south. Does it make more sense to rent a car and try to navigate the roads or is there a better way?

Capt. Blood,

If you take Kaz's advice and catch the train to Frankston you will be able to get the light rail from the ship which will take you to Southern Cross Station in Spencer Street and from there you will be able to catch the train. I think it will take about 50 minutes to an hour to reach Frankston.

From there you can hire a car and it is a great drive down to the Links Courses. This way will take longer though and you may not have the time to sit through a rail journey of one hour each way.

It is not a hard drive from the ship down to the Peninsula though, you could follow the beach all the way to Frankston or get yourself on to the Frankston Freeway at Mordialloc and just follow the road signs to Rosebud and Rye.

You will be going against the traffic which is a bonus. You will need a good road map though which you will be able to buy in Sydney if you board prior to coming to Melbourne or if you get to Hobart first, again you will be able to buy a map there.

Other than hiring a car or going by public transport you do have the third choice and that is hiring a driver to take you down there. We use a great limousine service whom are very competitive and that could be the easiest though the more costly way of getting there. If you are interested I can give you their email address and phone number.

By the way, my son in law is a member of one of the courses down there and plays at least 2 to 3 times a week.

Jennie

Hi Jenny,

Not coming from up your way...where is the nearest car hire depot to Station Pier? I don't remember seeing any nearby, by I came up past the water via St Kilda. I know that lots of the posters here ask about care hire.

Where does your son play golf? I work at Mt Martha Golf Course!!

Kaz

There are a lot of hire car agencies in South Melbourne which is very close to the ship. A few of these are Europcar, Thrifty, Avis Budget etc.

Our son in law has his membership at National.

Jennie

There seem to be quite a few tours to see the penguin parade in the evenings. Is this worth doing? Is it something you can do yourself or do you need to do it throuhg a tour group?

Our main penguin parade is held on Phillip Island which is about 80 miles from Melbourne. Various Tour Companies will take you down there or if you are confident of driving there then you can drive yourself. It does mean that you have to drive back in the dark as they only come out of the water at sunset.

Here is a link.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=penguins+victoria&meta=

We do have penquins much closer than Phillip Island. In fact they are very close to where the ship docks. They can be found at St. Kilda Pier and here is a link to them.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=penguins+victoria&meta=

Jennie

Thanks Kaz and Jennie. As it happens we will be there on an overnight, so this may be the perfect way to close out the day. I hadn't realized it was that far out of the city though. Driving wouldn't be a problem, but we won't have a car as we will be spending the rest of the day in the city, so I guess a bus tour it will have to be. I was just afraid it was totally "hokey" touristy thing and am glad to hear some natives at least discuss it without laughing. I'm a nature freak so anything to do with animal life gets my attention.

Jennie - I looked through several of the web sites on that Google link you sent, but couldn't see anything about the St. Kilda penguins. Is there a site that deals with them? Do they have the same of type of following as the Phillip Island ones?

Richard

Archived