I keep reading bad things on NCL, how true are they

msd760

On NCL ships, if you remove the auto tip and tip manually, those staff members have to turn over the tips. It's my understanding that they can keep anything above the $10 pp per day that you give. NCLA is a whole other animal and I'm not set to sail on one of those ships until next summer.

On the POAM we asked one of the poolside bartenders if they get to keep thier tips. He said it all goes into a fund and is divided up at the end of the week. He said they average about 400.00 bucks a week, which he seemed happy with. BY mid week he pretty knew us and what we wanted (he took care of us) so we tipped him in cash instead of adding it to the bar bill. ( I think he really liked that)

Also tipped our room attendant an additional 50.00 cash too.

On the POAM we asked one of the poolside bartenders if they get to keep thier tips. He said it all goes into a fund and is divided up at the end of the week. He said they average about 400.00 bucks a week, which he seemed happy with. BY mid week he pretty knew us and what we wanted (he took care of us) so we tipped him in cash instead of adding it to the bar bill. ( I think he really liked that)

Also tipped our room attendant an additional 50.00 cash too.

You did it the best way: on the Sun, we did give our room steward an extra $20 but added all the above and beyond tips we wanted our favorite cocktail waitress to have to the check. We learned later, it would be pooled. That is ok as the service was very good period, but I would rather have had her get it. NMnita

I have to agree with all these folks who say a cruise is what you make it, no matter what the food.

We took our first cruise on the Majesty last year and will do it again next year, Lord willing. Only thing I hated about Freestyle Cruising was the long wait at peak time. So we just learned to eat at off-peak hours and got right in. The food itself was very good, and the service was great.

..Regardless of what the NCL literature calls it (service charge)...there is no doubt what they automatically take from you every day takes the place

in the cruisers budget of what on on other lines would be a personal tip.

However, we too made sure and had a bunch of ones to personally tip

the two or three main drink waiters who became our regulars. Also, since

our room steward had to take care of the mess of two adults and two teenagers in one cabin..and he did it with great cheerfulness (and memorized)

all our names immediatly...we elected to leave an extra tip of 50 dollars

at the end.

Money well earned..

I felt compelled to write as my husband and I had booked the Panama Canal 17 day cruise back in middle of April. A month or so before we were to set sail we read nothing but terrible things. Well, we tried to put it in prespective and figured everyone had an opinion. Especially since the cost was $5000 plus! Unfortunately, our trip was book before Katrina and Rita. We were supposed to leave from New Orleans, then Galveston and finally Miami. The unfortunate part was our travel agent didn't book thru NCL for airfare so that was a change now up to us. It still worked fine as we had cousins to stay with in New Oleans, except end of Easter week when cruise left so pricey going into Miami. We had a bit of problems embarking as we were the extra ship in port and all was done in a tent. We were there early enough that it wasn't an issue for us.

Packed our liquor in our checked baggage and everything made it thru fine. We were concerned about not a set dinner seating. But worked out great. We mainly sat at table for 2 but made conversation with people next to us. We are in late 40's early 50's and the median age on this cruise was 70 plus. Shows were mostly fabulous. One night was guitar player and just not in to that. Don't know how you are with formal nights.

Figured we couldn't eat in main dining room those few nights. Was great formal one side of ship and not on other. So if you don't want to don't pack the little black dress! Mine never left closet. The ship was great, the staff was great. (Not knowing anything about you and not to offend you) But they dealt very well with the elderly guests and always smiled.

The art auctions are a lot of fun. Bought too much. If you get to go to one and Marcus is there tell him Russ and Donna said hi. Even if you don't buy there is never ending champagne. We brought our own Margaritas.

Anyway, feel good and don't listen to what you read as we were so happy with ours and actually booked one out of NY Jan 13 on the Spirit, the Suns sister ship. Have a great time and would love to hear how it was.

:)

Anyway, feel good and don't listen to what you read as we were so happy with ours and actually booked one out of NY Jan 13 on the Spirit, the Suns sister ship. Have a great time and would love to hear how it was.

:)

I just wanted to clarify - the Sun is actually the sister ship to the Sky, which was renamed as the Pride of Aloha when she started sailing exclusively Hawaiian itineraries as part of NCLA's fleet. The Spirit used to be the SuperStar Leo of Star Cruises. When she was taken over by NCL, she was renamed the Spirit.

Not me. I'd like to see it more!

Actually, that's about what we've booked for on Dec 10 sailings on the Sun & Jewel for the last 2 years ;)

-Monte

Sailing on 12/3 on Jewel and we paid $1333 with tax for deck 8 OceanView, by doing a gty. I think that is a pretty good rate after trying to get a hotel in Miami/FLL area.

Archived