I keep reading bad things on NCL, how true are they

msd760

My wife and I are sailing on the Sun on 10/29/2006 and i keep reading negative things on NCL, like poor quality of food in the main dining room? How true are these things and has anyone sailed the SUn lately?

I have only been on the Dawn; getting ready to go again on Sunday, but I can tell you that I have only experienced a quality product.

Hope this helps !

Tom

:)

Food is very subjective. I am not a picky eater and having spent 12 days on the Jewel (Just got home yesterday) I have to say that I was very skeptical about the food.

From day 1 my husband and I enjoyed everything including the food, the choices, quantity, service, etc.

Don't even THINK about what the negatives are. You go and have a great time. Remember, it's YOU that makes a good vacation be it land or sea.

Have a wonderful time!

My wife and I are sailing on the Sun on 10/29/2006 and i keep reading negative things on NCL, like poor quality of food in the main dining room? How true are these things and has anyone sailed the SUn lately?

First of all, you will read very little negative about the Sun. For the most part the ships that get the bad reviews are the older ones. The newer ships, Sun being one of them probably get reviews similar to all mass marketed lines: you will read comments that are not glowing followed by total praise.

We sailed the Sun in April. I will admit 5 of the 7 nights we ate in speicalty dining rooms but the two nights we ate in the main dining restaurants we had no complaints. The first night was Prime Rib night, it was tasty, tender and fine for us. The servings were a little small but you can ask for seconds. I don't understand why some think a piece of meat has to cover the entire plate. The last night I had beef Strogonoff; again, I had no complaints.

Be sure you try Las Rambles for tapas one night. Actually if you have a really good variety you hardly need to eat afterwards. We did the tapas and then went to the sports bar for a late night snack. DD had a tuna or patty melt and I had the fish and chips. They were good but not as good as on the Jewel.

Overall I just had a couple of complaints, I did not like the way things were set up for breakfast in the buffet and we ate lunch one day in the dining room. I got an oriental salad, it wasn't NCLs fault, but I just didn't care for it.

Hope this helps,

Nita

First of all, you will read very little negative about the Sun. For the most part the ships that get the bad reviews are the older ones. The newer ships, Sun being one of them probably get reviews similar to all mass marketed lines: you will read comments that are not glowing followed by total praise.

We sailed the Sun in April. I will admit 5 of the 7 nights we ate in speicalty dining rooms but the two nights we ate in the main dining restaurants we had no complaints. The first night was Prime Rib night, it was tasty, tender and fine for us. The servings were a little small but you can ask for seconds. I don't understand why some think a piece of meat has to cover the entire plate. The last night I had beef Strogonoff; again, I had no complaints.

Be sure you try Las Rambles for tapas one night. Actually if you have a really good variety you hardly need to eat afterwards. We did the tapas and then went to the sports bar for a late night snack. DD had a tuna or patty melt and I had the fish and chips. They were good but not as good as on the Jewel.

Overall I just had a couple of complaints, I did not like the way things were set up for breakfast in the buffet and we ate lunch one day in the dining room. I got an oriental salad, it wasn't NCLs fault, but I just didn't care for it.

Hope this helps,

Nita

I just got off the Sun yesterday. We ate in the specialty reststaraunts once, main dining room mostly for lunch, when we were on the ship, and dinner, buffet mostly for breakfast. The food in the restaruants and buffets was for the most part good or very good, certainly not horrible. The presentation was always a little different to me in the restaraunt, meaning the creative presentation of the food always made it look different than what I expected. I was then for the most part pleasantly surprised by the taste of the creative food. There is also an always available menu to pick from as well if none of the daily choices are to your liking. Always available was a ceasar salad, steak, grilled salman or chicken,and always a vegetarian and cooking light selection. Lines for the buffet sometimes seemed long at lunch or dinner, and often the main dining rooms seemed almost empty at the same time, couldn't figure that out. We waited for a table only once, when we had a group of 12 eating at 7pm on lobster night, and even then it was only for a few minutes. Just go into the cruise with the attitude that it is what you make of it and keep an open mind, you may be surprised by some of the different and creative choices you have. Don't forget at breakfast, if you are not doing a main dining room, that in Las Ramblas, there is a omelet station for custom made omelets that are very good, we didn't find it until towards the end of the cruise. There are also waffles every day in the Pacific Heights Restaraunt. Let me know if you have any specific questions I didn't answer. Have a great time, I am ready to go again with you, if I could leave my kids behind with Grandma.

For us, the food on NCL has always been good to excellent. We've also cruised Princess, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.

The only common complaints that I have read on CC is about wait time to be seated. We have only encountered a wait time once in 7 NCL cruises. That was one night on our Alaska cruise when it was going to be twenty minutes in the main dining room around 6:30 PM. We went to the Aqua and were seated immediately.

Enjoy your cruise,

Charlie

Out of 5 cruises on different Carnival & Norwegian ships, the Sun is our favorite. We have a 2nd cruise scheduled on the Sun. Food is subjective but we found the food on the Sun to be the best so far (with Carnival Conquest a close 2nd). We found the food on the Dream to be the worst so far - just ok or worse & certainly nothing outstanding. However, we had a good time & would go again if the price was right. The Sun is designed for free-style cruising, a nice, clean ship with an outstanding crew. It's just a friendly ship & we can't wait to go again. No waits longer than 5 minutes for a table on either ship. Really enjoy free-style.

We were on the Sun in May. We really enjoyed the cruise and the ship. No major compaints and the minor ones were not worth bothering with because we were on vacation and 7 days in Alaska was better than being at work. As for the food and service I would rate it as good to excellent in the main dining rooms. No complaints at all. Enjoy your cruise.

We just got off of the Crown yesterday, after reading many terrible reviews of this ship I can understand your thoughts.

I posted a review of our trip and I can tell you it was a WONDERFUL cruise from day one ... No complaints whatsoever.

Enjoy... Everyone has different opinions of how things should be for THEM... For us our cruise was the best.

Not a big fan of freestyle cruising; but, if you are creative you can find good food :-) First off - I refuse to pay extra to eat. I feel that the price I pay for a cruise includes my room and meals. I have paid extra for a specialty restaurant 1 time - Normandie Restaurant(Celebrity Summit) for our 25th anniversary. Enough said! LOL

On the Sun, we had MUCH better luck in 4 Seasons than 7 Seas - with no wait time for either restaurant (2 nights at each). 7 Seas would set us oddly - like smacked together with others with lots of available tables for better seating and the service was non-existant....we just sat for long minutes at a time with no food and no waiter and could never figure out who the waiter was (there was like 6 buzzing around with no service!)

In 4 Seasons we were set at prime location tables next to windows and the service was superb with 2-3 waiters that we saw consistently and they were extermely pleasant and prompt! Menus were not too exciting but food taste was ok - presentation was very nice and interesting. And don't be afraid to try something out of the ordinary - you might find you really like it!

All this being said - the service was nothing like we are used to on non-freestyle cruises. I personally enjoy my waiter and assistant knowing whether I like pepper on items or feeling comfortable enough to make suggestions or bring surprises from the kitchen, and finally knowing that I like coffee after my meal without having to ask. Just those little *service* issues that make me feel totally pampered and spoiled are non-existant with freestyle.

Another poster mentioned Las Rambles - don't miss it! The food is to die for if you enjoy Mediterranean/Italian. Just a snack area and not serve yourself, but you can ask for seconds. Buffet food in the Garden Cafe was ok - nothing to write home about, so we would take a trip through Las Rambles, then over to the Garden Cafe for dessert and we were good. The atmosphere is wonderful and quite in Las Rambles.

Something else we didn't discover until late in the cruise was good tea in the Waffle area / Pacific Heights dinning area. During the day, fresh tea can be found in this dinning area in pitchers - and it is good tea, very much unlike the nasty tea that is served in the Garden Cafe. We are used to having punch and lemonade available in addition to water and tea; however, with freestyle only water and tea is available during the day. I'm guessing this is to prompt more drink/soda sales.

Our cabin steward was wonderful on this cruise and we spoke with him at length regarding freestyle. In our opinion, for the way we like to cruise, he hit the nail on the head in his description of freestyle - people who like freestyle don't really understand what exceptional *service* is, or it is not an important aspect of their cruising experience. There are; however, good aspects of freestyle. We enjoy not being held to a certain time for meals, and we enjoy eating alone; although, we have never had terrible tablemates. However, we feel obviously less pampered and special on freestyle cruises...a trade-off that is great for some and not for others.

So- Bad things about NCL??? They are not my favorite cruise line to be sure, but I agree - a cruise is what you make of it. It was a vacation and therefore wonderful! We kept poking around the ship until we found the things we liked - it's always an adventure!

Our cabin steward was wonderful on this cruise and we spoke with him at length regarding freestyle. In our opinion, for the way we like to cruise, he hit the nail on the head in his description of freestyle - people who like freestyle don't really understand what exceptional *service* is, or it is not an important aspect of their cruising experience.

Oh, I beg to differ. My wife and I know exceptional service. We have done a great deal of business entertaining in the best restaurants in New York and Philadelphia -- including the superb Le Bec Fin and the old Le Cirq. I'm afraid our waistlines attest to our knowledge of food.

We have stayed at the best resorts, St. Regis hotels, Ritz Carlton's, etc. When we cruise, we always take a suite. Next up is the owner's Suite on the Pearl next year.

Believe me, we certainly do know exceptional service and we have found it quite consistently on NCL's freestyle ships. We will often develop a relationship with a certain waiter and his assistant and we seek out their table for dinner. And we don't have to play the Russian roulette of who our table mates for the whole cruise may turn out to be. Oh, yes. We also like to dress casually.

I am 72 (that's two years past the don't-give-a-damn age) and I am really not out to impress anyone, well maybe myself. Freestyle forever!

I have cruised several times with RC and Celebrity. Loved every minute! so I was also concerned when I saw negative remarks. But, I thought hey, I'm easy to please, how bad could it really be? Well............ it can be bad! I just got back from my first NCL criuise on the POA. It was the worst trip of my life!! The food actually was not bad. The service is really really bad. I guess I am spoiled the service the other cruise lines give you. The American crew is lazy and have the "it's not my job attitude". They were not helpful at all. At dinner we were taling to a very nice waiter about the way they receive thier tips, etc.... he said they have no incentive to go above and beyond the call of duty. And it shows.

Thanks god the Islands were beautiful. I felt I was in paradise staying on a Motel 8 floating motel.

I will never cruise with NCL again.

I have cruised several times with RC and Celebrity. Loved every minute! so I was also concerned when I saw negative remarks. But, I thought hey, I'm easy to please, how bad could it really be? Well............ it can be bad! I just got back from my first NCL criuise on the POA. It was the worst trip of my life!! The food actually was not bad. The service is really really bad. I guess I am spoiled the service the other cruise lines give you. The American crew is lazy and have the "it's not my job attitude". They were not helpful at all. At dinner we were taling to a very nice waiter about the way they receive thier tips, etc.... he said they have no incentive to go above and beyond the call of duty. And it shows.

Thanks god the Islands were beautiful. I felt I was in paradise staying on a Motel 8 floating motel.

I will never cruise with NCL again.

Uhm ... .. You cruised on an NCLA ship not an NCL ship. The OP was asking about an NCL ship. NCL ships are internationally crewed and quite frankly the service I have experienced on them was better than I received on other cruiselines.

I have cruised several times with RC and Celebrity. Loved every minute! so I was also concerned when I saw negative remarks. But, I thought hey, I'm easy to please, how bad could it really be? Well............ it can be bad! I just got back from my first NCL criuise on the POA. It was the worst trip of my life!! I will never cruise with NCL again.
OK...but the OP is asking what people think of the Sun. What's your experience on the Sun?

I am sorry,I think I misunderstood. I was not aware of the differences between NCL and NCLA. The A in NCLA I now understand means America. Are they 2 different companies?

That is where the BIG difference is!! Stay clear of any ship from NCL that is American run. Service is like night and day. Every other cruise I went on had International staff and it was wonderful. I read on this site before that the Americans were lazy compared to other nationalities. I laughed it off, but the last laugh was on me on the POA.

Sorry.... no experince on the SUN. Just with NCLA

I have to echo Zeno and Cecila: you cannot compare the Pride ships (NCL-America) with the international NCL ships like the Sun and Dawn.

I have been on both NCL and NCL-A and the service on the American flagged vessels is worse than on the international ships. It has to do with the all American crew.

You will enjoy the Sun.

Moondoggie, msd760 isn't going on any of the American-flagged NCLA ships in Hawaii. He's going on the NCL Sun, which is a totally different experience than the one you had.

Msd760, here's a link posted by another CruiseCritic member to a series of articles about the Sun that appeared in the New Orleans Times-Picayune. The author was on the first sailing of the Sun out of New Orleans this month. You will experience through the writer's eyes what it is like sailing on the NCL Sun.

We've been on the Sun for three cruises now and would gladly switch places with you and go on yours, too!

I am sorry,I think I misunderstood. I was not aware of the differences between NCL and NCLA. The A in NCLA I now understand means America. Are they 2 different companies?

Yes, they are 2 different companies, much like Carnival owns Princess, HAL, Cunard, etc. NCL should not be confused with NCLA. Unfortunately, Star Cruises (the parent company) chose to go with brand names that are virtually identical and has made no concerted effort to separate the two identities.

NCL ships are all foreign-flagged with mostly international crews. NCLA ships (the Hawaiian Pride ships) are US-flagged with mostly American crews.

We sailed on the Sun last October and had no problems with the food. Then again you havent tried my wife's cooking. Anything is an improvement.

Dave

That's not nice jetskier.

We were on the Sun last year & it was wonderful. You just have to have an open mind.

We have read things on these boards that are just silly. People will complain about everything if they could. Some people will never be happy - no matter how wonderful it is.

You'll love the Sun - I hope - you'll love the Sun.

We went to Le Bistro and loved it, but Pacific heights became our favorite. The food is wonderful with great presentation, the service is great, plenty of choices on the menu to go back several nights, and it is free! No surcharge!

The menu is advertised as light cooking, but don't let that fool you, it was excellent gourmet food. Much better than the dining room.

Also, don't miss out on the waffles there in the morning, and the pasta bar for lunch. They cook the pasta sauce to you liking!

And las ramblas for tapas,,..and sports bar for the best burgers and fish and chips!!!

Archived