Help with Boston

mumom95

Hi everyone, I need a little help from the Boston residents. I'm actually getting away for a long weekend (girls weekend away) and trying to figure out what to pack. We are leaving on Thursday and heading to Boston, we'll be there all day Friday. I'm trying to figure out what to wear weather wise. Is it really windy? Any idea what the chance of rain for Friday is? I got on weather.com, but here in Cincinnati the weather.com forcast neve seems to match the actual weather, so I wasn't sure what it was like for Boston. The rest of the weekend we'll be spending in Maine.

Anyway, any suggestions on how to dress for the weather by the residents would be great. We don't have any real plans, we just want to tour the city (actually, we just wanted to get a way from the husband and kids, so we basically picked an area and said we'll wing it once we get there!! Not that we don't love the husband and kids, but I'm sure we'll love them even more when we get back :) ). So, we'll probably be outside a lot going from place to place.

Thanks ahead of time for the help!!

Well, it's starting to get cold out here. And depending where you are in Boston, it can be VERY windy. I would say definately long pants/jeans and either a sweater or long sleeve shirt and a jacket. During the day, a lightweight jacket or just a sweater might be fine, but at night it does get colder out.

The weather says rain right now for friday, so bring an umbrella!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Bring clothes for layering. Today alone, it was rainy and warm and then it cleared up and got very chilly. I posted on another thread that we've had above average temps all month and this week it's supposed to be very seasonal. Evenings are dipping into the 40's so a fall weight jacket is a must.

Also, don't forget comfy shoes. Boston is definitely a walking city! Have a great time! It's a wonderful time of year to visit.

Boston will be in the 50s (but will feel colder). One day of rain expected while you are here. Wear layers since they say "if you don't like the weather in Boston wait a minute". Wear comfy shoes since Boston sidewalks are notoriously uneven and it is a great place to walk. Boston dressing is pretty casual since there are so many students living here. Jeans and sweaters are universal. Drive out to Concord and Lincoln to see the leaves (visit DeCordova art museum while you are in Lincoln). Tour the Back Bay (Boylston Street and Newbury Street) and Harvard Square and Faneuil Hall (Quincy Market). Dine at Legal Seafood (several locations) or go to Tango in Arlington for fabulous Argentinian food or to the North End for Italian. When in Boston proper take the T since Boston streets have no signage and the drivers are highly individualistic. Have a great time!

Like the others have mentioned, dress in layers. This is the shoulder time of year when temperatures can vary by 30 degrees in the span of 12 hours.

If you're intersted in getting an overview of our fair city take one of the Duck Tours. Sure it's touristy, but it's also a lot of fun. Also try to get to Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market. Shopping, History, good restaurants and people watching all rolled into one.

Welcome and enjoy!

Like the others have mentioned, dress in layers. This is the shoulder time of year when temperatures can vary by 30 degrees in the span of 12 hours.

If you're intersted in getting an overview of our fair city take one of the Duck Tours. Sure it's touristy, but it's also a lot of fun. Also try to get to Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market. Shopping, History, good restaurants and people watching all rolled into one.

Welcome and enjoy!

The Duck Tour sounds great, and I don't mind the touristy thing, since I'll be a tourist :) (It may be 5 - thirty something women going, but when we do these little trips we tend to act live sixteen year old girls again. It's kind of our way of blowing off steam)

And the Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market sounds right up our alley. What area is that in?

Thanks for all the help.

The Duck Tour sounds great, and I don't mind the touristy thing, since I'll be a tourist :) (It may be 5 - thirty something women going, but when we do these little trips we tend to act live sixteen year old girls again. It's kind of our way of blowing off steam)

And the Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market sounds right up our alley. What area is that in?

Thanks for all the help.

The Duck Tour is alot of fun.

Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market is downtown near Government Center. Anybody who is from around Boston will know where it is. So just ask a cab driver or someone who works in the T-stations how to get there. There's alot of shopping to be done down there!:D Within a very close walking distance is Downtown Crossings too which has Filene's Basement, Macy's, and a whole bunch of other stores (H&M, TJ MAXX, Marshalls).

You can visit the Duck Tour website at http://www.bostonducktours.com where they have information on pricing, where to get on and off, etc. Since you're going to be there on a Friday, you might want to do the tour during the day and save Quincy Market for the nightlife. It is in downtown Boston close to the waterfront. Any cab can get you there, as can the subway system if you want to be adventurous.

Oh, and Boston LOVES thirtysomething women acting like 16 year olds. Blends right in with a large student population.

Are you coming in by ship? If so, the ship may offer the Ducktour. Also, please note that the ship docks in an industrial area which is near exactly ... nothing. If you havn't booked a tour through the ship you will need transportation from the ship to anyplace of interest.

Thanks for all the info!! Anyone else who has info on fun things to do in the Boston area, I would love to hear about it.

We aren't going to be coming in by ship. We are flying in and then going to spend a day in Boston and then a day and a half in Maine area (not sure what we are doing there, but we've always wanted to go and figure we'll find something when we get there).

Thanks again for any info.

Thanks for all the info!! Anyone else who has info on fun things to do in the Boston area, I would love to hear about it.

We aren't going to be coming in by ship. We are flying in and then going to spend a day in Boston and then a day and a half in Maine area (not sure what we are doing there, but we've always wanted to go and figure we'll find something when we get there).

Thanks again for any info.

I have been working in Boston all week. It was 38 degrees early this morning. The narrow streets and tall skycrappers act like wind tunnels. I highly suggest pants, with a sweater or blazer and a leather or lined trench coat. Way too cool too early for me. Bring comfortable walking shoes. Most sidewalks are bricks or cobblestones. It is supposed to rain very heavily on Saturday.

Have Fun

Things to do; Take a trolley tour to get the most out of a short time and save energy. You can get on or off many tours. We still have the original Filene's Basement store on Washington Street. (Skip the new one!) Walk through the Fanueil Hall area. Have a great day.

Boston is such a fun little city! Fanueil Hall is definitely a fun touristy spot albeit a bit kitschy these days. With Dick's Last Resort (a raucous but fun place) now in the building, I think it's lost a bit of it's charm.

Not sure what you gals are up for but I prefer the Back Bay area. The Duck Tours leave from the Prudential Center so you would be in the area. Newbury Street is a fun place to browse, carouse and people watch. Lots of boutiques and fun places to poke around. Louis of Boston is a wonderful clothier/restaurant.

If you're up for cocktails along the way you won't be without choices (the same can be said of Faneuil Hall but they're definitely more of a pub type atmosphere)- Newbury Street area, you'll find those type of places and more upscale bistros as well.

When in the Back Bay, you can jaunt on over to Copley Square (near the Pru) where there are great restaurants and hotels where you can grab a cocktail or a bite to eat in an elegant setting. Legal Seafood is also located in the area. If you want to shop, there are lots of upscale boutiques and Neiman Marcus in the complex.

No matter what you do, just have a great time with you gal pals.

New Englander here - Plan on windy & then some. Because you're on the ocean side of things in Boston, the wind is a little more biting than usual.

I'd also find some nifty little hat to bring along - again - the wind can wreak havoc so you might as well look chic.

Weather here is unpredictable. I'd also slip in some lightweight gloves just in case.

Archived