Sending Mail

zookepr0

Will be traveling Star Princess second week of December I want to mail my grand kids their Christmas cards from the ship or one of our ports. Any advise on how to go about this little task thanks for your help.

The mailboxes are located near the pursers desk. On top of the box will be sign indicating what country's postage is required. The ship drops off the mail in each port. If you require a stamp for the foreign country the pursers desk usually will sell the required stamp(s).

I think it's a great idea! Not only will the grandkids get their cards from you but a special stamp too. Also they'll know you were thinking of them while on your cruise. So what if you're back before the cards. You can always tell the kids to watch the mail. Part of the fun of Christmas is the anticiptation!

One word of caution. We once mailed a postcard to a family member from the Canary Island's and it finally arrived 5 months later. My sister in law thought we had taken another cruise, since she just got the card. We've found that not all postal services are as efficient as the USPS.:rolleyes:

--Denise

We've also had situations where we mail postcards from a ship and DON'T get a stamp to place on them...the purser's desk simply charges us the postal rate and collects the mail, and their port agent processes all the mailings and our postcards were delivered with simply an ink stamp with an amount (like we have here for packages, etc), so no pretty stamp, minimal country ID, etc. A bit of a disappointment for us and the little people we were mailing to, who planned to use the postcards in show and tell at school.

Thanks for all the great advice. You have pointed me in the right direction I'll start looking for postal info per each island and see what type of postage and stamps they use. I know the kids will love the mail regardless of when it arrives:)

Don't forget to send a beautiful postcard to yourself. I guarantee you will have a big smile on your face when it arrives after you've been home awhile.

So true! I cruise without my husband occasionally, and always send him multiple postcards. I don't know who enjoys them more when they are received at home about 2 months after the cruise is over- him, or me.

So true! I cruise without my husband occasionally, and always send him multiple postcards. I don't know who enjoys them more when they are received at home about 2 months after the cruise is over- him, or me.

Instead of writing a journal we write each other a postcard and when at sea a letter. That way we enjoy our trip again as we read the cards when they arrive!:D

--Denise

And be careful if you mail it from Grand Cayman. You wouldn't want to see a Christmas card come in with a postmark from Hell. santa2.gifseesaw.gif

Just in case a poster or reader does not know the fact is that you can only get that postmark on a postcard, letter or parcel mailed at the post office in Hell, Grand Cayman which is an actual place there.

Archived