Vancouver hotel suggestions?

GORDONCHICK

We will be doing Alaska on the Mercury next September. Anyone have hotels they would recommend in Vancouver? I will also post on the port board for input there as well, but I would appreciate all comments.

We have stayed at the Georgian Court twice and like it just fine.

We stayed at the Four Seasons Vancouver in September and were absolutely thrilled with the hotel. It certainly isn't as close as the Pan Pacific but it isn't a great distance either. Check with your company to see if they have a corporate account - it saves a lot of $$$$.

Keep those suggestions coming! I didn't ask DH what our price range is (he's the $$ dude) but we will have a group of at least 10 rooms that may add some bargaining power. I will pass along your suggestions to our friends and let them work their magic. Earlier this month, they got a group rate of $59 per night for us and when I checked on priceline, expedia, etc, their rates were more than double. Brand new hotel (well, less than a year old), all rooms with oceanviews and balconies in Galveston.

In September we stayed one night at the Pan Pacific at Canada Place, on their cruise special, which included the room, breakfast, and transporting your luggage to your ship. Beaware that it is pricey - but a wonderful hotel and its location directly adjacent to Canada Place. Our room was facing the water and Stanley Park, and we got to watch all the float planes land and take off.

In order to get to Canada Place is simple. Check out, take the elevator one floor down, go two or three paces to your right and take the elevator down to Canada Place. Then walk past the bus stalls to immigration and customs, and on to Celebrity - it is that convenient.

My suggestion is to go to http://www.biddingfortravel.com and see what people are bidding and getting for hotels in Vancouver. I've always been pretty lucky using that for a guide on what to bid on Priceline. Last may I got the Westin Bayshore for $65.00 when we returned from an Alaskan cruise. We have also stayed at the Blue Horizon right on Robson Street in mid-town. The Pan Pacific is a wonderful hotel but quite pricey and so is the Fairmont Waterside. ;)

We're also looking for a hotel in Vancouver before our Infinity cruise on September 16. It may just be too early for priceline, since I've gone up to $86 without any takers ($70 usually gets a 4* on short notice). Since the 330 day window only opened up a couple of days ago, I may just be too anxious.

Has anyone stayed at the Sutton Place Hotel? I've read mixed reviews on tripadvisor. Some good deals available there for our dates.

Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help.

I'm interested in this Vancouver thing too. :) I love Westin hotels and if I can get that for $70 I'd be thrilled! Even $100.

I've never bid on a room before - I'm afraid of getting something I don't want or being rejected.

I went to biddingfortravel.com last night and they list possibilities for each city, but then they have a list below it that has the same hotels with lines crossed through them. Very confusing, but maybe I need to spend more time there and act like the newbie that I am. :D

My very favorite is the Listel on Robson, a boutique hotel in a perfect location with wonderful rooms and a great jazz cafe on the ground level.

I have used Priceline several times and gotten the Marriott Pinnacle for 70-75 night. Very nice as well but the Listel has lots of charm and class.

First of all, Don't be afraid of being rejected -- it's not like in "real life". With priceline you can try again 24 hours later!! We have had fantastic experiences with priceline -- from California to Prague, CZ, from Florida to Hamburg, Germany. It's more fun than Las Vegas....and you always win something, if you win at all (even if it's not the hotel you were hoping for). If not, you haven't lost any money. We've won bids as far out as 11 months in advance or as last-minute as the next day. In some cities, bidding is even allowed for the same day.

Besides biddingfortravel, spend some time on betterbidding.com It's a much friendlier and kinder (!) website. The hotels crossed out on the BFT list usually mean that the particular hotel is probably not participating any more.

It really is important to spend quite a bit of time reading through both web sites and getting familiar with them. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck.

In 2004 we spent one night before an Alaska cruise at the Sutton Place Hotel. X used it as one of their pre-cruise hotels--bellmen picked up bags in our rm, bus left for pier from there, etc.

We liked it so much (lovely hotel, Canada-friendly staff) that when I had a convention in Vancouver in 2005, we stayed there again. We arrived several days before the convention in order to do sightseeing in the area. The concierge desk was *very* helpful in suggesting available tours and booking them for us. It's honestly the first time I ever thought the concierge desk was worth the space it took up in the hotel.

Friends attending the convention stayed at the Sheraton, but their last night they moved to the Sutton Place b/c they were leaving on a RR tour of western Canada and the tour company booked them there. They were so impressed with it they wished they'd stayed there the whole convention. And they were really amazed when they learned we'd pd something along the line of $40/nt less than the Sheraton's convention rate. I got our internet-only rate through the Sutton Place website: http://www.suttonplace.com M/R

What is your price range?

Pan pacific is right at the pier and very nice and there is a Sheraton right across from the pier also very nice.

:) Good morning,

Actually, it's NOT a Sheraton accross from the pier:it's a Fairmount, the Waterfront Fairmount, every bit as good.

Cheers

Claude G

;)

We just returned from a business trip in Vancouver. We spent several nights at the Sheraton Wall Centre. Our room on the 32nd floor was wonderful. We had floor to ceiling windows overlooking the city and mountains. The hotel is the tallest in Vancouver (48 stories). It's located in a perfect place for great shopping and dining. You can walk to Granville Island and also easily walk to fine dining at several restaurants. We are taking our third cruise to Alaska this coming May and have decided to stay at the Fairmont Waterfront Hotel as part of our cruise package. But no matter where you stay I'm sure you'll enjoy this wonderful city. If you have an extra day you might want to consider going to Whistler on the roundtrip Whistler Mountaineer train--it's outstanding. Quite pricey if you take the first-class dome car...but well worth it for the wonderful scenery along the coast and through the mountains into Whistler.

Six years ago we stayed at the Delta. It was gorgeous, just opened, and right across from the pier.

:) Hi,

That hotel is now a Marriott; great location....although close to the construction site of our newer Convention Centre, ongoing project.Cheers

Claude G

;)

I posted the same question not long ago. We will be on the Mercury in August. Many posters recommended the Westin Bayshore. We plan to stay 2 nights pre-cruise and will have children with us.

:D Good morning,

That would be an excellent choice, specially with kids. The view is superb, the ''WEstin'' service is nicely upheld to expected standards. Not far at all from anywhere of interest. Float planes terminal very close. Great pool area. You can walk to the cruise pier actually, on your ''off '' day, its' approx 15 minutes. You can also walk the Stanley Park trail....beautiful, pleasant and again, spiced up along the way with enough things to keep the kids' attantion span well worked out !!!

Pricewise...you could try the various hotel sites and ''bid''...We feel it's good '' bang'' for the ''bucks'' in general.

Cheers

Claude G

;)

We're also looking for a hotel in Vancouver before our Infinity cruise on September 16.

Has anyone stayed at the Sutton Place Hotel? I've read mixed reviews on tripadvisor. Some good deals available there for our dates.

Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help.

The Sutton Place hotel is a refined class 4**** hotel,Central to the business district of Vancouver, close to all shopping, not really walking distance from the pier. The Renaissance and Marriott on Hastings street are a tad lower in overall profile, although very good still....and closer to more attractions and the pier. The HolidayInn Crown Plaza at Georgia & Burrard is a classic styled hotel, quite reasonnably priced, centrally located to just about everything. Give that one a tought....the type of hotel you could get lucky with on Priceline-type outfits.

Cheers

Claude G

;)

My very favorite is the Listel on Robson, a boutique hotel in a perfect location with wonderful rooms and a great jazz cafe on the ground level.

I have used Priceline several times and gotten the Marriott Pinnacle for 70-75 night. Very nice as well but the Listel has lots of charm and class.

You're right about the Listel...it's got a bit of charm...and it's O "DOUL restaurant & bar is great. The ''Robsonstrasse'' location is spot on. Also quite close to Stanley Park and English Bay. Great Transit seervice along Robson which can wisk you in minutes to a variety of attractive locations.

Cheers

Claude G

;)

Our group stayed in Sutton Place prior to our Hawaii cruise on the Infinity and it was very nice. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to one of their suites. Our friends liked the mattress in their room so much they wrote down the info off the mattress tag and bought one for themselves when they got home!

We went to Vancouver back in May before our Alaskan cruise. We were able to get the Westin Bayshore for $65/night. IT WAS WONDERFUL! It was very clean and gorgeous! The view of the harbor was nice. You could actually see the cruise ship from our hotel room window. I would highly recommend this hotel. It took about 10 minutes to get to the pier from our hotel via taxi.

Archived