Spa Poll: what do you think?

AftbalconyCouple

Pick the one that most closely reflects your opinion  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the one that most closely reflects your opinion

• The Lotus Spa is most concerned with retaining repeat customers.
    • The Lotus spa is most interested in selling spa products.
    • The Lotus spa is most interested in finding ways to get mentioned on CC boards.

I did not vote as your poll is flawed as it should have "None of the above" for those that have had a positive experience with the spa services.

The response....."The Lotus Spa is most concerned with retaining repeat customers."......is a positve response.:)

No different then any upscale land based resort. Prices are lower then many hotels that I have stayed at and they all try and sell products.

Here is what I do.... When I meet my therapist I tell her that I am a die hard Aveda fan and that I do not buy other products so that I won't waste her/his time.....Works like a charm.

Here is what I do.... When I meet my therapist I tell her that I am a die hard Aveda fan and that I do not buy other products so that I won't waste her/his time.....Works like a charm.

I like this idea since I love Aveda products!

I wish that Steiner Spa's would develop some data on their repeat guests. I have had spa personnel try to sell me something completely opposite of what someone earlier had suggested! This would also be a great tool for them to use, they can see what a passenger purchased in the past and ask if they need replacement product and see what's been recommended in the past and offer additional products as supplements to previous purchases. I believe this would give them more credibility and more passengers would purchase their products if they didn't feel like all they wanted was to sell products. The message would be more like they are actually interested in the passenger.

I had a very negative experience on the sea princess in 2000. I was basically held "captive" by the theparist until I agreed to buy what he was selling. after 45minutes I was "allowed" out of the room. (this is after I threatened to scream for help) this said I tried the spa out again on the Island princess in September with mixed reviews. I had pre-booked on line a treatment. I doulble checked to make sure they had my reservation. when I showed up I was asked to re-book as everyone was busy. i declined..waited 30 minutes and then got a theparist who admitted never having done that treatment before.(after the treatment was completed..when I questioned why it was so different from what I've had in the past) I was very disappointed.

on the other hand I also had a hot stone massage, I told the theparist before she started that I did not under any circumstances want to be sold products, gave her my reason (brief) and had a wonderful massage, well worth the money and no hard sell.

over all I would give princess a "C"

He worked for P&O for 12 years as a stylist and then as the manager of the ship Salon. I've been going to him for 6 of the 8 years he's been with Jose Eber. He always has interesting stories to tell me about working on a ship.

When he quit working for Steiner, he said he had to completely forget everything Steiner had taught him and had to learn the 'right' way to cut hair. :( If you're the slightest bit particular about how you like your hair cut, then use caution when booking hair cut appointments on any ship, regardless of whether the crew is trained by Steiner or not.

From what he's said and what I've experienced first hand, I don't think they care one whit about repeat clients. It happens so rarely, that I think they figure you'll forget about one bad experience.

I realize that I'm going to get flamed for this. But, other then art auctions, the spa's on Princess ships are the biggest con game out there. I consider them nothing more then payed shills for extremely over-prices services and products.

The Lotus Spa as a "for profit" business venue "is most interested in selling spa products".

If they don't sell enough products and services, they can not keep people employed and can not keep their doors open.

I'm not returning for another spa treatment until I read "Spas for Dummies."

I hate hard sells' date=' but then more than likely I'm not going to buy any products if I feel any pressure to do so.[/quote']

Caveat emptor. ;)

I really like one product that they sell that I don't think is overpriced. I love the Elemis Ginseng toner and really threw the spa for a loop when I walked in and just wanted to buy some without any kind of spa appointment on my last cruise. They didn't know what to do with me!

I know that I can buy it online but now prefer to buy it at the Aladdin hotel in Vegas. I can quickly pop it and buy it with no hassles and no hard sales. Plus I get to visit one of my favorite stores in the Desert Passage, Department 56.

I did go to the Spa on the Star Princess, my first time ever. I really loved it but I don't have anything to compare it to. They did their best to sell me stuff. I did manage to get out without buying anything though...not sure how I did that but I did. Would I do it again....Yes

I have had one spa treatment on the Grand (the only spa treatment of my life)---a hot stone massage. The massage itself was very nice and relaxing, but the prices got my attention. One thing I didn't like--I was asked to pay for my treatment before I received it---they ran my cruise card through the "machine" and gave me the bill to sign---there was also an empty place for a tip. I am pretty ignorant about these things, so applied the tip there and then--as it turned out the treatment was good and had no regrets about the tip amount I left, but I didn't like being prompted to tip before treatment was received.

I agree with CBPANDA. I have everything done before boarding the ship. There are too many things to do on a cruise vacation. ;) I don't want to be cooped up in a spa when everyone else is doing fun stuff! Of course my worst fear is that I'll miss something!:eek:

I have had massages from land based massage therapists, and I generally found them to be better than those at the Lotus Spa. I tried a masage on the Sapphire, and it was fine - but cost about 20-30% more than a land based therapist. So I won't be going back. And the last thing I need is some special soak or toner product that costs too much.

I would rather spend my money on a cruise doing something I can't do at home, like a tropical scuba trip, or a zip line adventure, or a rare museum or cultural event. And even then, I compare the prices with what I could do outside of an excursion.

As for the art auction, art (like wine) is a matter of personal taste. In my household we collect art, both originals and limited edition lithographs. We found prices on Princess to be equal to or less than land based galleries. Definetely, they are not TRUE auctions, since people seldom bid against each other. But some of the art is of high quality. What matters most is do you love it? If you do, and you like the price, go for it! Art is a lasting pleasure. I can't say the same about a massage.

Over all, I think the art available, if you like, comes at a much more reasonable price than the spa services.

I realize that I'm going to get flamed for this. But, other then art auctions, the spa's on Princess ships are the biggest con game out there. I consider them nothing more then payed shills for extremely over-prices services and products.
I think that the spa industry in general could be described this way. And as it goes on land, so it goes to an even greater extent on the sea!

I was behind a lady at the purser's desk on board one of our cruisers. She had a mittful of spa invoices totaling almost $2K and wanted a refund because, as she stated, she wasn't, "relaxed enough," after spending all that money. :rolleyes:

On our last cruise, I finally decided to break-down and spend the money on a massage and facial. It was great. As I was laying there on the table, I remember thinking "wow, I can see why people love to have this done".

Then it came to the end of the session. I am so relaxed thinking how great it was, and here comes the sales pitch. I have to buy these products for my face, and this product to moisture my skin, and this product to use in the bath....

Needless to say, when I left, I told myself I was never going to do this again. As I was signing that slip of paper to charge my "relaxing" spa treatment to my room, I thought what a waste of money.

My wife loves the Salon and spa's, We have been on 7 Different Princess ships. when she starts the treatment she tells them that she is not interested in any products and she is not bothered by a hard sell. The last time she even had a haircut and just loves it. I usually get the hot stone massage and love it. Just our 2 cents worth. Everyone has different ideas as to what is a good spa experience.

Cricketdog

Archived