Candles - Allowed or Not?

lls-con

I wanted to bring a small votive candle for romantic purposes and for the good smell. Are candles allowed, or would they be considered a fire hazard? If not allowed, does anyone have any other suggestions for setting romantic lighting?

I wanted to bring a small votive candle for romantic purposes and for the good smell. Are candles allowed, or would they be considered a fire hazard? If not allowed, does anyone have any other suggestions for setting romantic lighting?

No, they are NOT allowed... they are a definite fire hazard!!!

Gee I don't know....candle...open flame...fire hazard. You've answered your own question.

now now folks...remember that we were newbies once.

You can get really cute candles at the dollar store that take a small battery. (especially around Christmas time, because folks use them in their windows at home)

I have a couple really great scarves that I always toss into my travel bag. I toss them over light fixtures to help defuse the glare from the now-so-present-and-IMO-horride fluorescent bulbs that are being used these days. I find they really help to change the tone and mood of my cabin. The one good thing about fluorescent bulbs -- they do not get as hot as conventional bulbs so my scarves do not get fade spots.

My daughter bought one of the decorative gel-type candles in Cozumel and when we were trying to get back on the ship they were going to confiscate it. We we're even thinking about it when she bought the candle, because it was going to be a gift for a frined of hers and we had no intention of lighting it in the cabin. They let her keep it with the strict instructions not to light it!! Which we abided by. We mentioned it to the person that did the Port Shopping talks that this would be a good thing to mention and she pretty much blew us off.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

May I humbly suggest a few Foo-Foo's to get you in the mood!!:p

After that you won't notice the lack of "mood lighting".

On serious note, do you really think a rocking, rolling, shifting ship is the place for a lit candle? :eek: A flame thrower would do less damage.

It is stated in your Welcome Aboard booklet that irons, heating pads and candles are not allowed on the ship. Others have already suggested the battery powered candles. You can also bring a small string of twinkle (christmas) lights but you might also need a small extension cord.

For a good scent I always bring a small air freshener for the cabin. Just an inexpensive one that I can leave rather than try to pack it to bring it home. If you really like the scent of candles you can buy the Yankee Candle Car Jar things that you hang from your rear view mirror. They have really nice scents like some of their candles and are strong enough to smell in the whole cabin.

Give the OP a break, all they did was ASK there is no harm in that and some of you practically shoot her down!!....not like she lite on up, burnt the ship down and THEN said...oh aren't candles allowed??!!

OP...try the shopping channel that has three letters on it _ VC, they have flameless candles that are also scented and run on batteries, they work great and look like real glowing candles. ;)

lls-con - Welcome to the boards!:D I'm sure your question was asked because you needed verification of what you already thought. It's just that candles and irons are such big No-Nos in cabins. Now you know and have alternatives to choose from, so have a great (and safe) cruise!

As long as you don't light the candle you can use it.

FYI a flame is considered a fire hazard.

Everybody knows candles are a no-no. Try the new battery operated ones if it is an absolute necessity. QVC has some nice scented ones. Never risk the safety of others.

I have a couple really great scarves that I always toss into my travel bag. I toss them over light fixtures to help defuse the glare from the now-so-present-and-IMO-horride fluorescent bulbs that are being used these days. I find they really help to change the tone and mood of my cabin. The one good thing about fluorescent bulbs -- they do not get as hot as conventional bulbs so my scarves do not get fade spots.

According to the local fire department safety codes where we live, nothing is to be used to cover light fixtures. I know this because they were very strict when they inspected our classrooms and were not happy with anything placed near those hot bulbs. Another fire hazard...scarves covering bulbs.

We went to a ship's safety lecture on Adventure of the Seas a few years ago. The smoke detectors are EXTREMELY sensitive and it is not unheard of that they will go off from candle flames/smoke. Also, hair driers can set them off. Just what the safety officer told us. And they WILL break into the cabin if the smoke detector goes off. How's that for romantic!

No candles are not allowed on the ship but smoking a cig in bed is ok. The final report just came out on the Princess ship fire and the cause was a cigarette. Gee go figure.:eek: Im sure the ones yeling at you that its a fire hazard probaly are smokers also. That would be ironic.:D

No candles are not allowed on the ship but smoking a cig in bed is ok. The final report just came out on the Princess ship fire and the cause was a cigarette. Gee go figure.:eek: Im sure the ones yeling at you that its a fire hazard probaly are smokers also. That would be ironic.:D

Cigarettes are not open flames, and I have not heard of one fire that started in a bed... this happened on the balcony, and now cruiselines are reevaluating balcony design and also tell you not to keep anything on your balcony. Most cruise ships just like hotels use flame retardant materials on bedding so that cigarettes will smolder. And open flame is not the same and likely won't smolder. Ships rock... candles have open flames... it is common sense. I know a report came out last year stating the number of fires started by candles and it was astronomical... they aren't safe sometimes in a stable environment, much less a rocking ship

Cigarettes are not open flames,

And .... How are they lit? Fires are started by matches and lighters all the time that people thought were out. Every year people die from fires started by cigarettes in beds, sofas, falling out of ashtrays on papers, on counters, touching curtains.

Little sensitive about this issue. I lost a sister in July to a house fire started by a cigarette. Not saying candle is OK. Fire is always a danger. We live just a few miles from the fire in southern California where four firemen were killed this week. Own a membership in Silent Valley RV club where 400 were trapped the first day of fire. I spent several hours today with the a family of one of the firefighters who lost his life and in a critical stress debriefing with firefighters who lost a friend.

Archived