Belize City and NCL Dream

Twice-a-year

If I do not take NCL excursion, is it possible for me to just get off the ship and find a tour by the pier. I just want to see Belize city and Altun Ha Mayan ruins. By the way, anyone know that how far from the pier to the Altun Ha Mayan ruins?

Yes, you don't have to take a ship sponsored tour. The Altun Ha Mayan ruins are approximately an hour ride from the tender piers. Never-the-less, I highly suggest pre booking a tour, either through the cruise ship or privately, because all the best tour guides work for the tour operators.

I would definetly suggest a tour company with a good rep for Belize. The state dept has numerous warnings about safety in Belize. We were there last yr and the poverty is terrible which can lead to a very unsafe environment for people unfamiliar with the area. We left the secured port area briefly to walk through an open air market that was directly across from the port area and were followed and hounded by locals...when we tried to get back in the port area we were blocked by locals not wanting us and our $$ to go back in. A gate gaurd intervened and removed the offenders from our path. We are going back to Belize next month but are not going to venture outside of the port area this time.

When are you going to be on the Dream? My mom & I will be on the November 11 sailing--I have heard very good things about Reggie, and checked with him for availibility for our Belize stop for his City/Altun Ha tour--no one else has inquired, so we are on hold looking for two more to join us. Any chance you will be on this sailing?

Archived