Christmas Decorations

mattR

yes, you will see the shipdecorated very tastefully its a wonderful site and to think being in the middle of the ocean warm sunny day and decorations for christmas its a good thing!!!!!!!!enjoy your cruise

We were on the Monarch of the Seas RCL just a few days after Christmas last year and it was really nice to see al the festive decorations. Unfortuately going right at Christmas seems to be one of the most expensive times to cruise. There was a 3 day cruise on Monarch for the weekend before Christmas for only $239 per person for an outside cabin but decided against when we choose to do the Ryndam in November for a whole 7 days:)

MattR -- You might be a week early. We have sailed several times just before Christmas and found they put up the decorations a week before or so. It can also depend on when the ships come in and how meny they can do in a day. I hope the Zuid will be decorated for you. Penny

You're going to have to cross your fingers. You are right on the edge of full decorations. Last year we were on a b2b on the Oosterdam in Dec. The week of the 7th, no decorations at all; most of the decorations were done the week of the 14th, but I'm not totally sure it was everything even then.

You are on the Zui the 11th- not a sure thing until the cruise on the 18th.

Agree that it is iffy whether all the decorations will be in place.

I hope they are as it is a treat to see how beautifully HAL decorates for the holidays. We've cruised for Christmas and New Years a number of times and he ships always are fabulously decorated.

The dining room trees are sooooo gorgeous. We are always on the upper level and to see that huge tree reaching all the way to the ceiling of our level from the lower level is grand.

I will cross my fingers too as I will be on the same cruise and was really hoping for a Christmas Cruise!!!:) We'll bring some lights for our cabin just to make sure we have some decorations!

Several years ago, I got off the ROTTERDAM on December 21 and the Christmas decorations were not out yet. That was in December 1999. The ship was going into a few days of "wet dock" and I was told that it would be decorated at this time.

HIMSELF

Are you sure of the year....1999?

We were on Rotterdam for Christmas/New Years back-to-backs and the ship was beautifully decorated when we boarded. That was Millenium New Year's .......the ship has just left wet dock prior to the Christmas cruise.

We had booked our b-to-b suite at least 2 years prior to Millenium. Just before we boarded (we were already at Hyatt Pier 66) we got a call telling us our tub had been removed and there was only a shower. This was done at the wet dock at the request of some folks who were in that Suite for the World Cruise which departed the day we disembarked. (HAL did "compensate" us which is a word I dislike intensely.)

Yes......the ship was absolutely decorated.

The cruise right after us is a Holiday sailing. Would they decorate during a "holiday" cruise or have it done before boarding meaning maybe during our cruise? Any ideas on how long it takes them to decorate a ship?

I think the decorating is done by shoreside personnel.....maybe some by onboard crew but not much.

Therefore, most of it would have to be done when the ship is disembarking/embarking pax. Unless some shoreside folks board and stay aboard for a few days, do their work and then fly home to FLL (or wherever is homeport).

All HAL ships are decorated by an outside company. I can't remember the name of the company but they have been doing it for years. They send a whole crew on board and work begins - they can't do it in one day, so they stay on board until it is finished.

They may do the decorating the cruise before yours or during your cruise. Hard to tell.

Archived