What is the best way to get from Whittier to Anchorage?

UGA Fan

We are trying to plan a cruise from Vancouver to Whittier and I just wondered what is the best way to get from Whittier to Anchorage. We are thinking about spending two nights in Anchorage after the cruise. Are there any car rental places at the port? Any helpful advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.:)

We are trying to plan a cruise from Vancouver to Whittier and I just wondered what is the best way to get from Whittier to Anchorage. We are thinking about spending two nights in Anchorage after the cruise. Are there any car rental places at the port? Any helpful advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.:)

There's Avis at the port, and that's it for car rental companies. There's also a company that gives a 4-hour shuttle with tour to Anchorage, and then you could rent a car there: http://www.alaskanleopard.com/Tours/whittier.htm

I have considered going on a 6-hour small-boat cruise of Prince William Sound out of Whittier when our northbound cruise ends. There are several companies that do this, but most start at 1 or 1:30 to make it easier for people taking the train to Whittier. However, the one I'm most interested in is from 11:00-5:00, and they offer a package that includes motorcoach transportation back to Anchorage afterwards: http://www.princewilliamsound.com/736.cfm The price with bus transportation is the same whether you need one-way transportation or roundtrip. (I e-mailed and asked!)

I have considered going on a 6-hour small-boat cruise of Prince William Sound out of Whittier when our northbound cruise ends. There are several companies that do this, but most start at 1 or 1:30 to make it easier for people taking the train to Whittier. However, the one I'm most interested in is from 11:00-5:00, and they offer a package that includes motorcoach transportation back to Anchorage afterwards: http://www.princewilliamsound.com/736.cfm The price with bus transportation is the same whether you need one-way transportation or roundtrip. (I e-mailed and asked!)

Thanks, you have been very helpful. You have helped to ease my "stress load" on trying to plan our cruise. I have bookmarked both websites that you have given to me to consider booking when we have actually booked our cruise. I have decided on the Northbound from Vancouver to Whittier but still undecided on the ship. I am trying to narrow it down with the best prices and dates. I really appreciate your suggestions and help. If you or anyone else can think of another "must do" and "must see", please let me know.

I have already booked our Mar. cruise for the Western Caribbean and it was so much easier than this Alaskan cruise! There are just so many places to see and do in Alaska and just not enough time for us!

Thanks, again.:)

Thanks, you have been very helpful. You have helped to ease my "stress load" on trying to plan our cruise. I have bookmarked both websites that you have given to me to consider booking when we have actually booked our cruise. I have decided on the Northbound from Vancouver to Whittier but still undecided on the ship. I am trying to narrow it down with the best prices and dates. I really appreciate your suggestions and help. If you or anyone else can think of another "must do" and "must see", please let me know.

I have already booked our Mar. cruise for the Western Caribbean and it was so much easier than this Alaskan cruise! There are just so many places to see and do in Alaska and just not enough time for us!

Thanks, again.:)

As you probably already know, Princess and Carnival disembark in Whittier, and Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Holland America use Seward. The highlight for many in Seward is a cruise in Kenai Fjords National Park. Whittier also has wonderful glacier cruises, but there's not much to the town.

For cruise ship glacier visits - Carnival goes to College Fjord, Princess and some HAL one-ways go to Glacier Bay and College Fjord, and others (primarily RCI/Celebrity and HAL Volendam) go to Hubbard Glacier. The northbound Pacific Princess is the only one-way that goes to 3 glaciers: Tracy Arm, Hubbard Glacier, and College Fjord. (It's a much smaller ship with ~ 680 passengers.) Most ships go to Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway. Carnival also goes to Sitka, and RCI/Celebrity/and HAL Volendam go to Icy Strait Point rather than a 2nd glacier. In addition to checking dates and prices, compare each ship's time in port. More is better! Good luck with choosing a ship!

As you probably already know, Princess and Carnival disembark in Whittier, and Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Holland America use Seward. The highlight for many in Seward is a cruise in Kenai Fjords National Park. Whittier also has wonderful glacier cruises, but there's not much to the town.

For cruise ship glacier visits - Carnival goes to College Fjord, Princess and some HAL one-ways go to Glacier Bay and College Fjord, and others (primarily RCI/Celebrity and HAL Volendam) go to Hubbard Glacier. The northbound Pacific Princess is the only one-way that goes to 3 glaciers: Tracy Arm, Hubbard Glacier, and College Fjord. (It's a much smaller ship with ~ 680 passengers.) Most ships go to Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway. Carnival also goes to Sitka, and RCI/Celebrity/and HAL Volendam go to Icy Strait Point rather than a 2nd glacier. In addition to checking dates and prices, compare each ship's time in port. More is better! Good luck with choosing a ship!

Oh, wow! There really are so many places and glaciers to see! I checked on the Celebrity that goes to Seward and the price is about the same as the Carnival that goes to Whittier. It goes to Icy Strait Point instead of Sitka. Which one of those would you suggest going? Decisions, plus!!!! You have really been helpful and I am trying to narrow it down. Thanks so much. Annnddddddd, please keep the suggestions coming!!!!:D

Oh, wow! There really are so many places and glaciers to see! I checked on the Celebrity that goes to Seward and the price is about the same as the Carnival that goes to Whittier. It goes to Icy Strait Point instead of Sitka. Which one of those would you suggest going? Decisions, plus!!!! You have really been helpful and I am trying to narrow it down. Thanks so much. Annnddddddd, please keep the suggestions coming!!!!:D

The Summit has had mechanical problems this year and last that made Celebrity cancel one Alaska cruise early in both seasons, but I do like its itinerary. If I had to choose between those two ships - Seward would win over Whittier, and Hubbard Glacier over College Fjord (because you can still cruise to College Fjord on a small boat out of Whittier). Icy Strait is a very new port and fairly undeveloped, but Sitka is supposed to be beautiful - still lots of evidence of its Russian past. I'm not much help, am I!

The Summit has had mechanical problems this year and last that made Celebrity cancel one Alaska cruise early in both seasons, but I do like its itinerary. If I had to choose between those two ships - Seward would win over Whittier, and Hubbard Glacier over College Fjord (because you can still cruise to College Fjord on a small boat out of Whittier). Icy Strait is a very new port and fairly undeveloped, but Sitka is supposed to be beautiful - still lots of evidence of its Russian past. I'm not much help, am I!

No, you have really been very helpful. I really appreciate your suggestions and advice. I have just been e-mailing our travel agent back and forth tonight and have about decided on the Carnival because of the price. She found it a little cheaper than the Summit. I told her about your suggestions and that helped us to decide on the Northbound. However, she is still checking on the NCL and others so guess I am not ready to "sign on the dotted line" yet!! Please continue to let me know of anymore suggestions and to do and not to do on this trip. Thanks, again.

No, you have really been very helpful. I really appreciate your suggestions and advice. I have just been e-mailing our travel agent back and forth tonight and have about decided on the Carnival because of the price. She found it a little cheaper than the Summit. I told her about your suggestions and that helped us to decide on the Northbound. However, she is still checking on the NCL and others so guess I am not ready to "sign on the dotted line" yet!! Please continue to let me know of anymore suggestions and to do and not to do on this trip. Thanks, again.

Have you considered Princess or Holland America - which many consider to be the best at "doing Alaska"? Princess has 5 ships that do one-ways and HAL has 3. NCL only does roundtrip cruises. Carnival has only the one ship, but the naturalist Michelle is supposed to be excellent.

I cruised on the "Summit" last June, 2005 on a very good trip with no mechanical problems. Our cruise left June 24 - July 1. This cruise went to Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Skagway, Hubbard Glacier and Ketchikan. We had excellent weather except some rainy drizzle in Ketchikan which is pretty normal. Just plan for it. Hubbard glacier is much more magnificent than College Fjords. It is on the line of Glacier Bay which is also awesome. Our first Alaska cruise on May 26, 2001 was on the Ryndam of Holland America which went to Glacier Bay, Sitka, Juneau and Ketchikan.

Glacier Bay and Hubbard glacier are equal as to magnificence in my eyes. Both are spectacular.

After sailing to both Sitka and Icy Strait, I would definitely go back to Sitka before Icy Strait Point. If you are a big fisherman, then Icy Strait Point is supposed to be excellent for fishing. But, as far as cruising into both places Sitka by far surpasses Icy Strait Point for beauty. But, let me tell you that when we cruised into Sitka at the end of May, 2001, we had great, super clear weather. The blue skies just further enhanced the beauty of all the little dotted islands coming into Sitka. Sitka is very picturesque. I am really into scenery and beauty.

Icy Strait Point is very undeveloped and a lot of people love it for that point. There is an Indian man that sits at the dock and lets you take his picture in full Indian dress. And you can take a bus into their town and see the area, but expect to see how they really live not a touristy area.

We were on land doing Anchorage, driving to Valdez, Mt. Alyeska Tram, around the Kenai Peninsula to Homer, the 26 glaciers in a day tour out of Whittier on June 25 and a very short time in Seward.

Yes, you can see College Fjord on the smaller boats that hold about 300 out of Whittier. They claim to show 26 glaciers in one day. They are at www.26glaciers.com. And we did, indeed, see lots and lots of glaciers. Very good trip. Innumerable amount of otters also. Well worth taking.

After taking the 26 glacier tour out of Whittier for the day on June 25, and having sailed twice southbound from Seward, I would definitely pick sailing out of Seward again. You want a tour of Prince Wililam Sound then go to Whittier for the day and take the 26 glacier cruise. It is excellent. It is a large boat with great viewing and you can keep warm inside looking out their large windows and yet you can go outside and look if you so choose.

Please if you pick an itinerary that goes to Skagway, do not just get off the ship and walk around town. We were all scheduled to go for the drive to Emerald Lake in our already reserved Avis rental car and my husband changed his mind and decided he didn't feel like going for a drive cause he had done a lot of driving around on land before the cruise so just wanted to see the town. It is quite a walk to town, in fact, my daughter and her friend took a pedicab to twon for $10.00. We also did that but walked it coming back to the ship. It is quite tiring. Skagway is very picturesque but I really feel we missed a lot not going for that drive to Emerald Lake that I have read so much about (also saw alot of pictures) or going on the Whitepass Railroad. Well, I guess he will have to take me back again sometime.

My grown daughters (both in their mid 20's) went on the dog sled/helicopter rides out of Juneau and loved it. Very expensive, but worth it for a one time thing. The weather was so great in Juneau, my daughter came down off the dogsled excursion from wearing her warm coat, hat, etc. to walking around the town of Juneau and getting hot and going back to the ship and changing into shorts and a tank top. It was really nice in Juneau that day being in the 80's.

I just got off another Celebrity ship 10 days ago, cruising Canada/New England on Celebrity's, "Constellation". After that being my third Celebrity cruise, I will tell you that we really have loved all of our Celebrity cruises. The entertainment on this last Celebrity cruise was spectacular to say the least. Their service and food have all been top notch. The only thing I have missed compared to the Princess cruises that I have taken is Celebrity does not have a buffet of any size in the evenings and Princess does. The only thing besides room service that they have is pizza, salad and pasta late in the evening and that is too heavy for late night snacking. Whereas on Princess, they have a buffet of different sizes going throughout the evening. I think it was after 10:30 p.m., they called it something like "light eating buffet". Can't think of the exact name of it, but it was light snacks, small sandwiches, fresh fruits and salads and always something hot. Was nice if you were on early seating and then you went to the show and wanted to nibble around 11:00 p.m. We really missed it on the Celebrity ships, but all in all we did fine without it also.

I have not been on a Carnival ship since 1986 so can't express a recent opinion.

I think you need to make up your mind that you can't see it all in one trip and will have to go back multiple times so pick what you definitely want to see for your first adventure and enjoy it knowing you will go back. I could go to Alaska every 1- 2 years and not get tired of it. My favorite place to cruise also.

Looking at NancyIL's previous post, I was not aware that you could rent a car in Whittier. So, if you can, be sure and check into the drop off fees if you are not renting it round trip from the original destination.

Hope these things help.

I think you need to make up your mind that you can't see it all in one trip...

This is the key to planning! You can make yourself crazy trying to choose the perfect itinerary, and there is none... especially for the first Alaskan cruise!:)

We've sailed Carnival Spirit and Sapphire Princess to Alaska... My favorite is Princess of the two, but my preference is jaded by the fact that our Spirit sailing had propulsion failure and the itinerary ended up being much less than ideal. We missed Sitka and the only glacier sailing on the itinerary, College Fjord. Juneau was lengthened, Ketchikan shortened. My recommendation if you choose an itinerary with only one glacier sailing day, plan one independently, just in case... Tidewater glaciers are amazing to both see and hear. Celebrity doesn't own the rights to go haywire on itinerary. Neither does Carnival. :rolleyes:

As for Whittier/Anchorage transfer:

The Alaska Railroad passenger train timetable matches well with most of the independent day cruise glacier sailings out of Whittier. It is a transfer we've thoroughly enjoyed. A very relaxing way to see the scenery Whittier to Anchorage.

We have also taken the transfer mentioned above, Alaskan Leopard. The stop for Portage Glacier is just shy of allowing time to take the cruise up to the glacier, which is too bad. This transfer worked well for us this past year, when friends traveling with us wanted to hit a few highlights, but had a plane to catch the same evening. If there're more than 2 people, the car rental option would probably equalize the one-way fee with costs of other transfers, and you can stop when/where you'd like. Alaskan Leopard does offer a TourSaver coupon this year.

People don't seem to think much of Whittier, perhaps because there isn't much for shopping, ect, but I think it's in an extremely picturesque area, surrounded by water and rugged mountains. Not bland at all, especially on a sunny day! Beautiful waterfalls (in May and early June, at least) line the mountainside while sailing into the port. NB sailings come into port late after sailing College Fjord... I suggest being out on deck, front and center or starboard while sailing in. Just beautiful!

If you have time to devote to some of the highlights in Seward, such as a Kenai Fjords National Park cruise, the Sealife Center or Exit Glacier, then I believe it's worthwhile to check into cruising into Seward. If you only have a short time... by all means, I recommend a sailing into Whittier. Transfers from Whittier are shorter and less expensive than transfers from Seward. You do miss some beautiful scenery between Seward/Portage, but, as mentioned... you can't do/see it all. Either way, you'll see unforgettable sights! If you choose to sail into Seward, perhaps rethink some of your time in Anchorage in favor of Seward.

As for ports, I think less developed can be a good thing! You'll be so tired of seeing jewelry stores you'll just wanna hiss and spit!:eek:

Don't stress, and just enjoy planning... that's half the fun!:)

"Tidewater glaciers are amazing to both see and hear." You mentioned this statement in a previous post above. What do you hear with the tidewater glaciers? Is it the calving? Excuse the ignorance, I am a huge fan of calving.

"Tidewater glaciers are amazing to both see and hear." You mentioned this statement in a previous post above. What do you hear with the tidewater glaciers? Is it the calving? Excuse the ignorance, I am a huge fan of calving.

I replied here, but I'm moving it to your thread on Tour Help Please.:) I didn't see that thread when I replied here, and it all goes together.

Nancy, I'm considering doing the same thing on my July northbound cruise (Island Princess). I asked them the same thing about only paying for one-way transportation. Don't understand why they don't do it for cruise ship passengers arriving in Whittier.

Since our flight leaves at 1:00 am that night, I think I'm going to book the transportation to Anchorage separately with the Alaska Railroad on their 6:45 pm trip. That way I'll only have to pay the one-way fare of $58 per person. We'll have a little bit of a wait after the PWS cruise, but we've never taken the train and thought it might be enjoyable. The Alaska Railroad has their 2007 e-brochure on their website, but they aren't taking 2007 reservations yet.

BTW, I received an e-mail from Alaska Heritage Tours who handle bookings for Prince William Sound Cruises & Tours saying they are now taking 2007 reservations.

So the cruise ship transportation to Anchorage....is that to the airport or to where you choose in Anchorage. We are renting an RV for a week after our cruise, so we are wondering how to get from Whittier to the RV rental depot in Downtown Anchorage. Thanks for the help.

So the cruise ship transportation to Anchorage....is that to the airport or to where you choose in Anchorage. We are renting an RV for a week after our cruise, so we are wondering how to get from Whittier to the RV rental depot in Downtown Anchorage. Thanks for the help.

There will be transportation to the ship and downtown. If you are picking up a RV from downtown, then just take a cab.Some are near the airport- Merrill Field.

I was looking at using thsi company for a transfer or tour to Anchorage....

http://www.alaskanleopard.com/Tours/whittier.htm

Is it realistic to expect we will be off the ship by 8:45 AM?

How organized is the Spirit disembark process?

I emailed alaskan Leopard and asked how we could be sure to be off the ship on time. The answer was to make arrangements (I think with the purser) the first day on board--simply tell them we have independent transportation and need to be off the ship early. The person who answered said they have never had anyone not get off the ship early enough.

Gale

I emailed alaskan Leopard and asked how we could be sure to be off the ship on time. The answer was to make arrangements (I think with the purser) the first day on board--simply tell them we have independent transportation and need to be off the ship early. The person who answered said they have never had anyone not get off the ship early enough.

Gale

It's up to YOU, how early you get off the ship. You just walk off. You can be off the ship around 7am, just get in line.

I was looking at using thsi company for a transfer or tour to Anchorage....

http://www.alaskanleopard.com/Tours/whittier.htm

Is it realistic to expect we will be off the ship by 8:45 AM?

How organized is the Spirit disembark process?

I used this company Sept. 2nd from Whittier. We left at 8:45am (no problem getting off ship by then). We stopped at the Wildlife Refuge center

($7 entrance fee included) for about an hour. We saw bear, moose, owl, elk, and fox up close. This is a hidden treasure of a tourist site and may be the only wildlife that you really actually see in Alaska. We loved it! It is on the way to Anchorage. There were only six of us on the shuttle transfer. He took us directly to our car rental agency...U-SAVE rental....cheapest found....$193 TOTAL cost for a mid sized Tauraus on Sept. 2nd, 2006 for one week.

I used this company Sept. 2nd from Whittier. We left at 8:45am (no problem getting off ship by then). We stopped at the Wildlife Refuge center

($7 entrance fee included) for about an hour. We saw bear, moose, owl, elk, and fox up close. This is a hidden treasure of a tourist site and may be the only wildlife that you really actually see in Alaska. We loved it! It is on the way to Anchorage. There were only six of us on the shuttle transfer. He took us directly to our car rental agency...U-SAVE rental....cheapest found....$193 TOTAL cost for a mid sized Tauraus on Sept. 2nd, 2006 for one week.

I didn't realize Alaskan Leopard was your shuttle company! As I said in my post on your trip report thread, they have a Toursaver coupon in the 2007 book! What did you think of the other stops the shuttle made on the way to Anchorage, and the service of the company overall?

Archived