Can I take my own coffee pot?

kittikat

Carolyn, I did take my coffee pot last cruise, and will leave it home this time, but PLEASE- I need my curling iron!!!!!!!

Karen

Now, I wonder for those who are going to post that they don't care what Princess says about not having certain items in a cabin due to stricter fire regulations would say about the subject if they had been in the middle of the fire on the Star?

Please don't jump all over me for my opinions......

I love my 2 big mugs of freshly ground coffee every morning, but, if the new fire regulations call for no coffee pots in the cabins then I will be drinking their "coffee" for the duration of my cruise and will happily deal with it.

I know I look at the situation a bit differently but to not go through ever again what we did, I for one will be playing by the "rules" and only hope that those who are cruising with me do the same so someone doesn't cause that kind of situation all over again.

We just got back from the Caribbean Princess and I took my coffee maker. Toto is right about how it was worded in the Patters. And if we took the patters real seriously, the woman would not be wearing short sleeves or sleeveless on formal nights either cause it says so in the patters.

Ditto and true.

The patter did say no curling irons (at least it did last week on the CP).

This was the first time in several years I did not take a coffee pot and I dreaded drinking the crud they call coffee (stealing Abe Lincoln's line - if this is coffee, I'll have tea, if this is tea, I'll have coffee). Thankfully the coffee bar was open at 7 every morning so I could get a latte' and that kept my going in the morning. I asked the guy who took care of our room about it and he said they had no direction on what to do (in other words - they are not telling the boss) if they saw a coffee pot. Not sure what we'll do next cruise, but I did miss the 5:00am real coffee more than I thought I would.

Suzi said the tea was fine in the dining room, but not-so-good every where else.

Carolyn, I did take my coffee pot last cruise, and will leave it home this time, but PLEASE- I need my curling iron!!!!!!!

Karen

It's okay Karen, I'm only a bit sensitive, by all means bring your curling iron!

I'd be lost if I couldn't bring my blow dryer, flat heavy hair is not a pretty site!

On a side note to everyone, just remember to turn off your curling irons. In the spring a house burned down and a family lost everything and it was due to a curling iron left on. It happened shortly after the Star and made me realize how lucky and blessed I was that the fire took place somewhere else besides my home.

I don't know....how can you tell someone not to bring their curling iron or coffee maker if you must bring your hair dryer when they provide one there. If they provided a coffeemaker in the room, I sure wouldn't bring one. I think it is all about using your head and common sense.

Cruise #51 coming up in December (#23 Princess) and my trusty little one cup Melitta (yes, it has automatic shutoff) is a very worldly travelled appliance. Interesting situation a few weeks ago. Took a last minute 5 nighter on Carnival; steward saw pot and said if "THEY" saw it, "THEY" would confiscate it. So I hid it every morning. Didn't want to take a chance with BIG BROTHER absconding with my coffeemaker. :(

Arlene

I don't know....how can you tell someone not to bring their curling iron or coffee maker if you must bring your hair dryer when they provide one there. If they provided a coffeemaker in the room, I sure wouldn't bring one. I think it is all about using your head and common sense.

Evidently they are now saying in the patters that curling irons are no longer allowed and are on the banned list along with irons. All I was talking about was following the so-called "rules" or paying attention to what is banned and not bringing them along for safety reason.

Evidently they are now saying in the patters that curling irons are no longer allowed and are on the banned list along with irons. All I was talking about was following the so-called "rules" or paying attention to what is banned and not bringing them along for safety reason.

Okay....patters from last week on Caribbean Princess under "Stateroom Safety Notice":

"Heated electrical items (such as curling irons) used in your stateroom should not be left plugged in and unattended. When finished with the item, please ensure it is immediately unplugged.

The use of irons and non thermostatically controlled Water Heaters in strictly prohibited."

So you can use the curling irons but unplug them after use or don't leave them alone by theirselves. This is on page 2 of the patters.

Okay....patters from last week on Caribbean Princess under "Stateroom Safety Notice":

"Heated electrical items (such as curling irons) used in your stateroom should not be left plugged in and unattended. When finished with the item, please ensure it is immediately unplugged.

The use of irons and non thermostatically controlled Water Heaters in strictly prohibited."

So you can use the curling irons but unplug them after use or don't leave them alone by theirselves. This is on page 2 of the patters.

Well, that explains it a bit more, and I totally understand that might be placed in the Princess Patter.

Personally, what I think they are trying to definitely ban is those immersible things that heat a cup of water for coffee or tea. No thermostat and they can be very very dangerous if you aren't careful. Many people take them when traveling and I don't think they realize the danger in them.

OK, now I promise I will only take a coffee maker WITH a thermostat and unplug my curling iron after use (like I always have in the past).

Thanks for the word by word report!

TJ-It might be time to head up those stairs and read your patter again and report in. This sounds a lot more logical then our discussion last night. ;)

I call it "Driveway Sealer".....:mad:

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

Tony, that's offensive!! I work in the asphalt industry & our sealer taste way better than that ! I found that the purchase of a coffee card & a few discreetly placed cash tips afforded me a large fresh brewed Jamaican at the coffee bar 24/7 with none of those pesky stamp limits. Don't settle for the pot, ask then to brew you up the Blue Mountain Roast. Zoom!!!!! Watch out for the straight cream though, I taught them how to make half & half, couldn't figure out how I gained 2 lbs in 2 days without eating much, til I realized I was sucking down heavy cream!

yeah...sure...I also saw money growing on a tree in my yard....:rolleyes:

Really - I have one of those too, but, the bills are red not green! Seriously, I have found the coffee on princess to be adequate for me and my DW. I can think of better things to pack than a coffeemaker.

Ron

If you read the other posts, both Seagarsmoker and T&J claimed that the current patter stated that they were not allowed. I only commented on what others who have recently sailed or are sailing as I type posted on this thread.

I always bring a little 4-cup Mr. Coffee and leave it for the cabin steward as a little gift at the end of the cruise. They seem to really appreciate it and I get my coffee fix every morning.

I usually take a small Hibachi grill for cookouts on the balcony. At the end of the cruise I also leave it for the steward, they always seem to appreciate it!

If you read the other posts, both Seagarsmoker and T&J claimed that the current patter stated that they were not allowed. I only commented on what others who have recently sailed or are sailing as I type posted on this thread.

Yeah, I did read the posts and Seagarsmoker was on the same sailing as I and I am quoting from the Patter from last week. Can't get any current than that.

Originally Posted by fgd3

I usually take a small Hibachi grill for cookouts on the balcony. At the end of the cruise I also leave it for the steward, they always seem to appreciate it!

Psst, you are kidding arent you?

Karen

No I'm not kidding, I really do leave it for the room steward. I used to give them a cash gratuity, but from the look on their faces, I'm pretty sure they prefer the Hibachi.

Yeah, I did read the posts and Seagarsmoker was on the same sailing as I and I am quoting from the Patter from last week. Can't get any current than that.

I understand that....glad you posted it, I'll see it for myself Saturday. Guess Seagarsmoker and T&J misread the patter and therefore posted it here.

I understand that....glad you posted it, I'll see it for myself Saturday. Guess Seagarsmoker and T&J misread the patter and therefore posted it here.

Well it will be interesting to see if it is the same quote fleet wide or just varies from ship to ship since I see you are taking the Crown. I hope you have a wonderful cruise. :)

Yes I must be be going feeble and blind that I can't read a patter on page one!:rolleyes:

Tony

Well, that explains it a bit more, and I totally understand that might be placed in the Princess Patter.

Personally, what I think they are trying to definitely ban is those immersible things that heat a cup of water for coffee or tea. No thermostat and they can be very very dangerous if you aren't careful. Many people take them when traveling and I don't think they realize the danger in them.

OK, now I promise I will only take a coffee maker WITH a thermostat and unplug my curling iron after use (like I always have in the past).

Thanks for the word by word report!

TJ-It might be time to head up those stairs and read your patter again and report in. This sounds a lot more logical then our discussion last night. ;)

Ok after breakfast this morning I will post verbatum what's written in that patter on page 1.

Is someone serious about a bringing a Habatchi? and what exactly do you do? call up room service and say please don't cook my steak, I'll do it myself?:confused:

Tony

Ok from the front page of teh Welcome Aboard Payyer actually on Day 1 of the cruise....

"As your safety is our prime concern, we would like to remind you of some important precautions you must take while in your stateroom or on your balcony:

If you smoke, please use the ashtrays provided for your stateroom or balcony and ensure your cigarette is fully extinguished. Please do not smoke in bed or throw any cigars or cigarettes over the ships side.

The use of irons and non thermostatically controlled Water Heaters is strickly prohibited. Heated electrical items (such as a curling iron) used in your stateroom should not be left plugged in or unattented and should feature an on/off switch."

All this was printed on the Patter front page on embarkation day.

Tony

Is the coffee just as bad from room service? I'll probably be up before the coffee bar opens and need an eye-opener first thing. I'm considering a french press but by time I order room service, get the boiling H2O and steep the darn thing it'll be time for the coffee bar! Any suggestions? Is room service coffee made from the syrup too?

Archived