Explorer of the Seas or Radiance of the Seas

I am planning a last minute cruise. I am tryin to chose between the above ships. I sailed Explorer in 2002 and was happy with everthing but I read a several negative reviews at this site on the Explorer. Food quality, service, condition of the ship, bedding and too many smokers were issues for some reviewers. RCCL stated that the Explorer had not been in dry dock for a couple of years and was due. I have never sailed on any Radiance class ships. If anyone has sailed on the above ships within the last 6 months, could you please respond to this thread. Any info would be appreciated.

I have not sailed on any of the Voyager class ships yet but was on Radiance in late August. It is a fabulous ship and I rarely read anything negative about it. As to the negative reviews about Explorer, keep in mind that reviews are subjective.

If it were me and I had sailed on one ship I would want to try the other. Unless I was partial to one of the itineraries. Um, apparently choosing a cruise is subjective too. :p ;) :D

Enjoy whichever you choose! :cool:

I am planning a last minute cruise. I am tryin to chose between the above ships. I sailed Explorer in 2002 and was happy with everthing but I read a several negative reviews at this site on the Explorer. Food quality, service, condition of the ship, bedding and too many smokers were issues for some reviewers. RCCL stated that the Explorer had not been in dry dock for a couple of years and was due. I have never sailed on any Radiance class ships. If anyone has sailed on the above ships within the last 6 months, could you please respond to this thread. Any info would be appreciated.

I was on the Explorer last month and it was wonderful. The ship was in beautiful shape and the bedding has just been replaced. I never noticed any smoke issues. The food was wonderful, the service impeccable. I think you would be very happy with this ship. If you have any specific questions just ask.

Sue

I have been on all classes of ships in RCI's fleet. For my money, Radiance class is the best in RCI's current fleet.

The all glass Centrum is stunning, much more dramatic than the Royal Promenade. I prefer the size and the passenger count as well.

The Seaview Cafe is a nice option for a late lunch and I prefer the outdoor decks on Radiance class as well.

JMHO.

I have sailed Voyager Class (Navigator) and Radiance Class (Radiance). If it were me and I was sailing without my teenaged children, I would choose the Radiance, hands down. A BEAUTIFUL ship, very elegant, with a wonderful crew, etc. If I were bringing my children I would choose The VOyager Class as there is a wider variety of things to keep them happy. I'm happy on either ship, as long as I'm sailing ;) But if I am choosing just for me, it's Radiance all the way!

Good Luck!

A~

We have been on both the Explorer and the Brilliance, which is identical to the Radiance. Both are wonderful ships and you can't go wrong with either. Some differences.

We loved the Royal Promenade on Explorer. What a great space on a ship. We spent a lot of time there. The Ice Show is also a highlight of the Explorer. We found food a little better on Explorer but that is subjective and varies from ship to ship. The Windjammer on Explorer (casual restaurant topside) seemed a little small for this size of ship.

On the Radiance, you will love the open feel of the ship. There is so much glass that you have views of the ocean from almost all of the public rooms. It is a smaller ship than Explorer but still large enough to have everything you need. Almost a perfect size. The Radiance includes a Seaview Cafe which is no cost whereas the Explorer has Johnny Rockets in that space which is an extra cost.

Again you will love either one.

I have been on both ships and loved them both, but IMO, there is a huge size difference between the two.

In fact, my friends felt very claustrophobic when going anywhere near that photo arcade and shops on the Radiance. Huge difference between the width of the ships.

The Radiance is definitly a beautiful ship and I will be back on her in a few days. It is great without children. Wouldn't consider it for my family trips.

You know, each cruise will be affected by the passenger's onboard and the crew onboard at any given time! So this week's trip on Explorer will be totally different from the sailing next week! Same on all ships! Both have their pluses and minuses, so flip a coin and pick one! You'll have a fabulous time no matter which ship you're on!

Will agree with those above about kids issue; If none - like the Radiance size and ambiance just fine when we did in March; However, with kids, may want to go with larger Explorer (as we will in a few weeks :))

Have sailed on the Radiance, Brilliance and Jewel, all copy cats of each other. Why? They were all fabulous. Loved each one of them. I just wish they did different itineraries each year so I could sail on them again.

Have done both the Radiance class and Voyager class (Explorer) a number of times each. We're going on the Explorer Friday. Love both. I'm one that cannot make up my mind which I like better. Each is great in it's own way. Based on my experience, Voyager class cruises seems to have more kids than Radiance class cruises but that just could be based on the time of year we go plus the itinerary. You can't go wrong with either one.

Tim

I have sailed on both the Radiance (twice) and Explorer (once). My all-time favorite is the Radiance. What I preferred about the Radiance: (1) smoke was less noticable, (2) the Solarium is nicer, (3) they don't micromanage the pool towels, and (4) the public rooms were smaller and more intimate.

Explanation on (3): on our Explorer cruise, they put pool towels in our stateroom and allowed us to trade them in for other pool towels, but otherwise, we had to return them to our stateroom. If not, our Seapass card would be charged. On the Radiance, we did not receive pool towels in our stateroom, and towels were freely available on the pool deck.

Given a choice between the two ships, all else being equal, I'd choose the Radiance. That said, we're about to sail on the Mariner (sister of the Explorer) because we can drive to the port and avoid airfare and airport hassles. The Explorer and its sisters are wonderful ships, but the Radiance is still our favorite.

Best of luck!

I was on Explorer twice in the last six weeks and only because it now leaves from NJ which means no flying for us. I was on Serenade twice as well as Radiance.

Hands down, I'd sail Radiance class in a heartbeat. But that's me. I find that that there are less kids/families on the Radiance class. Seems like the Voyager class have more kids mainly because there seems to be more family activities.

The Explorer was fine...clean, well maintained, new bedding. I, for one thought the new bedding was horrible. The mattresses were like sleeping on concrete. After my Heavenly Bed, just can't sleep on that hard mattress anymore, but others loved it.

Radiance, IMO, is a bit more elegant...I would love if they sailed from NJ. Hard to explain...but I'd go Radiance class over anything else....

We're going on Voyager Class for the 3rd time in December and Radiance class for the second time in February. Both are great and you can't go wrong either way. Pick the best price, cabin available, or best itinerary. Any way you pick you are a winner. If you've never been on a Radiance class, just do it.

Both are great and you can't go wrong either way. Pick the best price, cabin available, or best itinerary. Any way you pick you are a winner. If you've never been on a Radiance class, just do it.

Ditto.... try the Radiance class.

I personally liked the new bedding on the Explorer. I didn't really notice any wear and tear, but then I wasn't looking for it either. Great staff, food okay, shows were good. We cruised on the Radiance twice because I wanted to show my family what a great ship she was. For me the WOW factor just wasn't there the second time around. I would do another Radiance Class in the future though.

Hi all,

I agree with folks who say that Radiance is the better ship but then I think that they are so different. While Voyager class has the Royal Promenade which I love, Radiance is a smaller more intimate ship. Again I agree there is a wonderful staff on board!! I think its all a matter of ones personal taste. I don,t have any young kids or teenagers now but I would reckon that Voyager class would be more interesting for them, especially teenagers what with the ice rink, basketball court, climbing wall etc.... Anyway..I love em all!!!!

Helen

I rather the Radiance class in front of the Voyager class...

The Radiance of the Seas is an amazing ship. She doesn't feel crowded at all (which was not the case for me on the AOS), and it seems from several reviews that RCI is having some issues maintaining high quality service levels on larger ships (the excuse of there being a lot of people doesn't cut it for me)... So in my case I rather the Radiance, and I'm actually looking forward to going on her again...

Archived