Door Question

poorsusan

We are going to be on the Zaandam for 1/5/07 cruise with the Kingston Trio. I want to put up some pics of the Trio on my door. Does any one know if they are metal - so I can use magnetic holders - or otherwise and I will use that putty stuff.

They Kingston Trio used to be my favorite group. I still like sixties folk music.

You are aware, aren't you, that none of the original members still tour with the group. Dave Guard died in the eighties, Nick Reynolds is retired, John Stewart (who replace Guard in 1961) has been a solo for years and Bob Shane, the last of the original members, suffered a heart attack last year and has now retired.

The only member of the current trio whose name I know is George Grove, who has been with the group since Bob Shane revived it in the seventies or eighties. Grove has now been with the group longer than any other individual, except Shane.

Now, if HAL raises the fare while you're on board, will you be forced to "ride forever", like Charlie on the MTA? Here's hoping!

Paul Noble

Now, if HAL raises the fare while you're on board, will you be forced to "ride forever", like Charlie on the MTA? Here's hoping!

LOL! :D Don't we wish.

You do know, don't you, that that song started out (with different lyrics) as a campaign song back in the '40's?

LOL! :D Don't we wish.

You do know, don't you, that that song started out (with different lyrics) as a campaign song back in the '40's?

Yeah. I don't know all the details, but I do know that it was during a political campaign during which one of the hot issues was raising the fare on the "Metropolitan Transit Authority, better known as the MTA... THIS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU!". I don't want to hijack this thread, but are there any members from Boston, who can shed more light on this?

I also know that, to this day, the passes used by passengers on the "T" are officially known as "Charlie Cards".

Paul Noble

We have seen the Trio many times. My husband got to drink with Nick in Atlantic City. John Stewart and Bob Shane are also going to be on the cruise. So it should be interesting. We have George Grove's solo album. He is probably the most talented musician of the group. The pictures I have that I want to post on the door are my husband with Nick and Bob. There may even be one of him with George and Bobby.

Yeah. I don't know all the details, but I do know that it was during a political campaign during which one of the hot issues was raising the fare on the "Metropolitan Transit Authority, better known as the MTA... THIS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU!". I don't want to hijack this thread, but are there any members from Boston, who can shed more light on this?

I also know that, to this day, the passes used by passengers on the "T" are officially known as "Charlie Cards".

Paul Noble

Check this out:

http://www.mit.edu/~jdreed/t/charlie.html

the doors on westerdam were not metal. Not sure about zaandam. We had some magnetic 4 x 6 frames that we wanted to display on our doors (traveling w/ another couple) and we found that the molding around the doorway WAS metal so we could mount the pictures there..

kingston trio eh?? and they wonder why HAL has that reputation as a floating nursing home.. *L*

maybe they could get marian mcpartland for the piano bar

We are going to be on the Zaandam for 1/5/07 cruise with the Kingston Trio. I want to put up some pics of the Trio on my door. Does any one know if they are metal - so I can use magnetic holders - or otherwise and I will use that putty stuff.

We just got back from a cruise aboard the Zaandam. We were aboard for Halloween and saw several doors (including ours) decorated. I used the little stickies you use for scrapebooking.

What a coincidence! At the end of our recent Spamdam cruise, on Sunday morning we were talking about how someone could be denied disembarkation and might have to cruise forever.

Two of us began to sing "he may ride forever 'neath the streets of Boston he's the man who never returned." We got quizzical looks from some of the folks in our group. How sad when you have to explain who the Kingston trio were!

I remember the first time I heard the song at a concert at Syracuse U with the three original members. I never feel old until something like this occurs.

There was a recited prelude to "Charlie On The MTA". I don't know if it was on the original record, or a Kigston Trio live appearence. Also during the banjo solo, the musician says "Kinda hurts my fingers."

"These are the times that try men's souls.

In the course of our nation's history the people of Boston have rallied bravely whenever the rights of men have been threatened. Today a new crisis has arisen. The Metropolitan Transit Authority, better known as the MTA, has levied a tax increase on the population in the form of a subway fare increase. Citizens of Boston, hear me out, this could happen to you."

I was in a band in Massachusetts, and sang this song every performance.

Archived