I'm a good Catholic - BUT----

Beckey

HI guys - we are taking our first HAL curise in Spetember - 9/11 on the Z - you might have seen my post here trying to get folks on that cruise to come on over to the ROLL CALL boards and join us :D

But I have a question for you guys - what time is Mass? I know they have it every morning and I am a GOOD Cathilic :confused: - but if it is real early I might not be that good! Do I have to go to Confession now?

Thanks guys

We have found that the Mass times seem to vary. I think it depends on if it is a sea day or a shore day. We have even had Mass in the late afternoon, and on one cruise, it was at midnight, the Priest said we could make it a pajama Mass, as it was the last night, and bags were being set out. Generally sea days, we have found Mass to be around 8 or 9am.

Mass is not necessarily at 8:00 A.M.; sometimes it's in the afternoon at 5:00 P.M. The system on my recent cruise was sea day=morning; port day=afternoon.

Once I got lucky when Mass was held at 9:00 A.M., but usually only the Protestants get to sleep in.

On (rare) occasions the Mass will be held at 5:15 or 5:30, but with early dinner now at 5:45 that won't be often.

I suggest you use the patented RuthC method: whenever Mass is in the afternoon go. Three daily afternoon Masses equal 2 Sunday services on God's credit slip.

We have not been on the Z yet,but I `m sure you will enjoy her.

You are right; its like pulling teeth to get response to the roll call. So far only one response to the Sept. 14 Rotterdam. Maybe it`s too soon.

Masses are held every day on different times according to the ships schedule. However ,it is usually at 8:oo AM or at 4:00PM. Even the priest does not know until the day before. My wife goes every day except if we are on tour.

Hope this will help.

Have a great cruise.

Bless me Father for I have sinned....

I must confess on my last cruise there was a conflict between Mass and morning Bingo...and I chose Bingo. But then they're both Catholic activities, along with drinking at the bar. LOL!

Roz

I must confess on my last cruise there was a conflict between Mass and morning Bingo...and I chose Bingo. But then they're both Catholic activities, along with drinking at the bar. LOL!

Roz

LOL!! :D

I have a question. Has anyone stopped in San Juan on a Sunday and attended mass in port? If so, which church did you attend? I wonder if there are active churches in old San Juan...

Yes, there are catholic churches very close to the port: La Capilla del Cristo on Calle del Cristo and San Francisco, and also Catedral de San Juan (San Juan's Cathedral). Don't miss either one, the Cathedral is absolutely beautiful, they are both old churches but gorgeous. The Cathedral does offer mass in English on Sundays. We were there last year on a weekday, could not attend weekday mass because of limited port hours (we left San Juan at 3pm and Mass was held at 5pm). Have a safe trip! Enjoy San Juan, it's beautiful!

RE: Mass on board, during our HAL cruise to Panama Canal on the Rotterdam Mass on sea days was at 5pm and port days at 8am.

AlinaMaria

Thank you AlinaMaria! Your information is exactly what I was looking for. It doesn't matter if it's English/Spanish/Latin.. I would just love to see the cathedral and experience mass there. We are only in San Juan until 1pm. I've been there before so I thought this would be something different to do since we arrive on a Sunday. Thanks again!!:)

Thanks so much for all the information! Sounds like I will be able to make it to Mass - if the Spirit Moves Me :p

I like the 3 afternoon Masses = 2 Sunday! An bingo to booth.

The Priest at our Parrish are the best traveled Priest around - 2 of them just got back from a Hawiian Cruise. Last year they went on a Alaskan Cruise. Where has Franciscan Proverty Gone??? :D

Thanks again.

Roz

Roz: You are crackin me up.:D :D

I have been to Mass on a HAL ship before where there were so many different nationalities. Everyone said their responses in their native language. A really unique expierence.

I have a perfect solution for you.. forget all this daily Mass biz and become a Lutheran. With us, anything above and beyond the perfunctory Christmas and Easter appearances is considered compulsive.. *S* Leaves WAY more time for snorkeling and the drink of the day..

I have a perfect solution for you.. forget all this daily Mass biz and become a Lutheran. With us, anything above and beyond the perfunctory Christmas and Easter appearances is considered compulsive.. *S* Leaves WAY more time for snorkeling and the drink of the day..

OK this is way more information that any of you ever Wanted - pretty much TMI (too much info) BUT I already converted! :eek: My husband spent 6 years in seminary and was a Baptist Minister for 14 years - THEN we converted to Catholic. Think that did not make a few folks NUTS. :p Now he is a Deacon in the Catholic Church - spent 5 years in classs for this and was ordained again as a Catholic Minister. Our journey to Rome as been a long and strange one! But we are both glad to be home at last!

One of the reasons I try to attend Mass as often as I can (when it doesn't conflict with bingo!), is I want HAL to continue to have Catholic priests serve onboard.

Roz

I figure, if they have a priest on board all their ships, they must know something I don't know. So I try to attend Mass if it's not too early in the morning. I don't wake up early and I'm not a pleasant sight for a while. Our church has daily Mass (without me, I might add) at 7:30 in the morning. I told the pastor, "It was the last SUPPER, not a communion breakfast." He didn't like that.

One of the reasons I try to attend Mass as often as I can (when it doesn't conflict with bingo!), is I want HAL to continue to have Catholic priests serve onboard.

Roz

Good point.. "Use it or lose it."

Srpilo

I figure, if they have a priest on board all their ships, they must know something I don't know. So I try to attend Mass if it's not too early in the morning. I don't wake up early and I'm not a pleasant sight for a while. Our church has daily Mass (without me, I might add) at 7:30 in the morning. I told the pastor, "It was the last SUPPER, not a communion breakfast." He didn't like that.

Tomc - LOL! Well, he doesn't have a sense of humor :).

Beckey - A baptist minister for 14 years, and converted to Catholicism...WOW!...Yes, being familiar with the baptist church I can imagine

there was some discussion about that over their potluck dinners, lol.

Catholic or Christian, you are serving the same awesome God.

Marie

My dad was Jewish until after 17 years marriage to a Catholic, then converted to Catholicism. Oh, Marie, you said "Catholic or Christian", Catholics are Christians, that's what they called members of the early church. "And it was at Antioch that they were first called Christians." It's in Acts somewhere... sorry I'm Catholic and live in the mostly Baptist Bible Belt, so I'm kind of touchy about that.

Kerry

We have not been on the Z yet,but I `m sure you will enjoy her.

You are right; its like pulling teeth to get response to the roll call. So far only one response to the Sept. 14 Rotterdam. Maybe it`s too soon.

Masses are held every day on different times according to the ships schedule. However ,it is usually at 8:oo AM or at 4:00PM. Even the priest does not know until the day before. My wife goes every day except if we are on tour.

Hope this will help.

Have a great cruise.

Roz, you sound like my kinda woman

LOL ... Roz, that was good. :)

I must also "confess." When I was on the Rotterdam last March, I was part of a writer's group having a conference onboard the ship. I wanted to get to services ... either Catholic or interdenomination ... never made it because there was always something else going on at the time of the services ... something that, sadly, I always considered more important ... or maybe just more fun.

Oh, well ... guess I'll need someone to assign me a good "penance" for that one. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

Gee... if my priest assigned HAL's bread pudding as a penance, I'd spend the cruise asking girls, "Were you born on or before July 19, 1986? You were? Good; meet me on the Sky Deck tonight. Alone."

Archived