A Question for people just back from their 1st cruise

Avril

I hope you enjoyed the experiance and am sure you're ready to go again. I was just wondering, I have been on 6 cruises and am about to go on my 7th. My Mom and I are thinking about taking my aunt and uncle on their 1st cruise but we don't know which cruise line, ship, itinerart, etc would be best for first timers. I'm asking all you neewbies to tell your stories. What ship did you go on, itinerary, whatever that might help us. I want to know what would the best cruise be for a first time cruiser. My aunt is 49 years old and my uncle is 53. I'll start off the story telling with my own:

My first cruise was in 2003 on Carnival's Imagination. We went on a 4 day Western Caribbean cruise stopping at Key West and Cozumel. Our cabin wa an inside number R19. It was nice but I didn't like the orange color. I'm not sure we would go on that ship again as we now think that it is kinda cheap looking and way to bright!!!! They had plastic chairs in the Lido buffet (in the inside but outside part) and we didn't like that. We also didn't like how the waiters in the dinning room would parade around and get us to cheer for them. UG!!!! How they do songs and dances on other ships is much better. We really liked the shows and the food. The gala midnight buffet was awsome!!!! We found the ship well layed out and really liked how all the bars and nightclubs were all grouped together on the Prominade Deck. The public areas were well designed with lots of windows. The shops were slightly clostrophobic I thought. It was easy to get around and we knew how to get everywhere by the end of the 1st day. All in all, it was a good experiance for a first cruise but I'm not sure we'd do it again or take someone else on their first cruise on this ship.

Oh, sorry. I'm 22 and my Mom's 53. We would also be going with my Grandmother who's 83 and my Grandfather who's 85. Both my grnadparents have been on a cruise (Caribbean Princess).

Oh, sorry. I'm 22 and my Mom's 53. We would also be going with my Grandmother who's 83 and my Grandfather who's 85. Both my grnadparents have been on a cruise (Caribbean Princess).

With that info, I'll stick by my original suggestions. Personally, I'm a huge Celebrity fan, but I liked Princess just fine. I haven't tried RCI yet, but I have a friend who swears by them. But she's a bit of a partier and I'm not, so she would be interested in things a little different than me even though we are the same age.

We took our first cruise in May to the eastern caribbean on the Carnival Triumph. I did a ton of research to try and book a cruise that would fit our needs and personalities.

Eastern c - because we live in the mountains and cold, we wanted to go somewhere warm and tropical. Loved it!

Carnival - wanted a balcony and even though $$$ isn't a real problem, I still tend to budget myself and found we could save around $800 by going with Carnival.

We loved all of the "silliness" on our cruise. We work hard and have the realities of life for 24 weeks out of the year. I wanted fun!!! We loved it all! We can fit in with the country club crowd or hang out with our cowboy friends when needed. But much prefer people who aren't stuffy and found everyone on Carnival to be fun and pleasant - staff and passengers.

I wanted to travel out of Miami. Why, just because we had never been there and wanted to see what it was like.

We aren't partier's, smokers, or drinkers and loved the atmosphere on the ship. I never seen anyone getting out of line.

Food was great. I hear our cabins are larger than most other cruiselines and with a balcony we loved our accommodations.

Loved the islands and the tours. I fell in love with St Thomas! In fact, when booking our cruise for next year we both agreed that it wouldn't bother us a bit to book the exact same one! But, I really want to do the western c so went with that on the Glory.

Oh, we are mid-fifties and have traveled a lot but this was one of our very best vacations ever!

Sorry' date=' can't give you any answers just yet, but in approximately 39 days or so when we get back from our first cruise I'll be able to give you some answers.[/color']

Awsome!!!! I can't wait to hear all about it!!!! What line/ship/itinerary are you sailing on? Have a great cruise!!:D

Hi with the ages in the group I would like to ask if any for a disability (trouble walking/wheelchair sort of thing. If so I would stick to newer ships and mid sized ones. I would stay away from Voyager/Freedom class ships.

If this is more for your Aunt and Uncle I would go on Radiance class ships (RCCL) or Millinum Class ships (Celebrity) If you want to increase your number for amount of cruise you have with one company then I would stick with the one you have been on but stay off the bigger ships. MHO.

Awsome!!!! I can't wait to hear all about it!!!! What line/ship/itinerary are you sailing on? Have a great cruise!!:D

Carnival/Holiday/Western Caribbean (Cozamel and Costa Maya). We have a good mix of ages , cruise experiences, and interests. Ages range from 60 to mid 50's to mid 20's to 15 month old. Past cruise experience ranges from having sailed on a troop ship as a young child, never cruised before, or cruised other lines and on mega ships. Our interests are everything from playing in the sand box :D to having a few cool brewskis. Will be posting a review after the cruise because we've gotten so much great info from these boards.

My first cruise was on the Sun Princess to Alaska (honeymoon cruise). At that time I was 28 and DH 27. It was everything we expected in a cruise.

We have now booked our second cruise to the W Caribe. aboard the Star Princess in April. This time we will both be 29. We invited our parents to join us (they have 6 cruises with RCI) and are now trying Princess.

I really enjoy Princess, they have something for everyone. I think the best thing to do is get the interests of your entire group and find a ship that tailors to all of you.

Good Luck, whatever you do, you'll enjoy it!

I suggest any Holland America Ship. There are no long lines, as long as you pick a smaller ship 55,000 ton or smaller. The large ships are too crowded, too many drunks, too many parties, rude uncouth people, etc.

Holland is quiet, beautiful, and has better food/menus than the average large ship. ALSO, go when school is in session, and there will be ZERO children on a Holland Ship.

Archived