Recent FOS cruisers - tuxes vs. suits

cjb0717

We are taking our first cruise on FOS in May '07. My DH wants to buy a new suit and I suggested he rent a tux, less packing involved since we will be staying at a timeshare in West Palm Beach for the week before our cruise.

He was wondering how many men wear tuxes compared to suits for formal nights. Can any recent cruisers give us some ideas? Thanks.

I would have to say that I saw plenty of both. We had a lot of tuxes on our cruise.

I actually decided to rent the pants and the jacket alone from the ship, and I brought my own tux shirt and tie. That way I could mix and match and didn't look like everyone else who rented the tux on the ship. Get a nice solid color long tie to wear with the tux. Those are in more now than bow ties anyway. And since the ship only rents one kind of tux, everyone loosk the same.

We were just on FOS in October and a suit is fine. Many wear a tux but not the majority. If he wants to rent a tux he will look smashing in it, as all men do. My husband purchased one a few years ago and wears it every cruise. Also the time of year makes a difference, we have noticed in the fall when there are less families and more couples on board there are more men in a tux.

If your hubby stays at about the same weight, he should just buy a tux. They're not that expensive, and the cost of 2 rentals will MORE than buy a tux! My hubby has had his for 3 or 4 years--wears it about 1 time a year, if we're not on a cruise--best investment we've ever made!

In September, there were about equal amount of both. My hubby rented a tux, and as for packing space..it worked out very well. The tux was in our room when we arrived......and they took it away after the second formal night.

Either way, you will fit right in. Have a great cruise !

We saw quite a few in Tux on FOS couple of weeks ago. But a suit would be fine also. DH bought one & has different vest/tie combos to match my formals. (I actually bought a dress the color to match one of his vests) I love the way a man looks in a Tux! So whatever works for you, don't worry he'll be fine! enjoy the trip!

Debbie

I think it was about 50/50. We bought hubby's tux when we got married 5 years ago. I like any excuse I can find to get a new formal. Since March of 2001, he has worn his tux 11 times already. We go all out for New Years, Valentines at times, a few dances here & there. I love it. We find vests on clearance at the tux rental places & buy them there.

Archived