VAN to SEA - Now I'm in a panic!!

ktmoffitt

I have a tight return flight. The last available was a 2:30pm departure from Seattle the day of disembarkation. Am I okay with Quick Shuttle 9:05am departure from Vancouver? Would renting a car be any faster?

Thought I would be okay, but after reading other posts I'm not sure!!

Thanks!!

Is the shuttle leaving from Canada Place? What day of the week?

I went to mapquest and on a good day the travel distance between Canada Place and Sea-tac Airport will be 2 hrs and 45 minutes. (156 miles). Without taking into account the assumption the shuttle will leave on time, getting out of the downtown Vancouver core, possible (probable) wait at the border, the good chance there will be some kind of road construction somewhere along the freeway and then you have to get through Seattle (airport is south of the city).

You may make it. I would not chance it. Renting a car would probably not get you there any faster.

I have read on these boards that you should not book anything earlier than 12:30 for an outward flight - that is out of Vancouver. Never mind adding a three hour road trip to your plans.

Good luck with it.

http://www.quickcoach.com/schedule.htm

Arrival at sea-tac 13:55 - for a 14:30 flight? I would guess you won't make it.

The ship may arrive at 8:00 ish, but it still needs to be cleared and luggage off loaded. How many ships in port that day?

I would check the YVR/SEA shuttles. A flight could get you there in time.

Most likely you'll be fine once you get off the ship, though it is definitely going to be a tight schedule for you at the airport. Worse case, the airline will still allow you to fly standby on other flights during the rest of the day. Go to your airline's website and print out their flight schedule from Seattle that day to your home destination so you know what the possibilities are when you get there. For more ease of mind, you could call the airline to find out what the current number of open seats on the later flights are right now.

I think you should plan on flying. Disembarkation + baggage claim + getting to rental car place + drive + border + drive + Seattle weekend traffic + rental car return + 90-120 min. advance security + stopping somewhere for Ms. Nature = no way.

Call your airline to see how much the short hop from YVR to SEA is as an add-on; most likely it will be pretty affordable. If you want to do it yourself you want to go to http://www.alaskaair.com (Horizon is the carrier.)

As others have said- reschedule- which will mean an overnight flight- the next available. I have done this run many many times with a one way rental. BUT I know exactly where I am going, where the gas is, what terminal/gate etc. I used to make the 2pm flights before 9-11- flying standby which then didn't matter if I made them or not. If you go with this time- VERIFY all restrictions- including value of ticket if you miss your flight- will you have to pay a fee to rebook?? Seattle is a very heavy load airport- many flights go out full.

:)

Last year when we disemabrked in Vancouver we took the cruise line's transportation to Seattle Airport where some people were dropped off and the rest of us went to the Hilton Hotel for the night for flights home the next day. We have done this several times.

There were 2 buses doing that route. The first bus left Canada Place at 10 and ours left at 10:30. No one from either bus made 2 PM flights and I doubt if anyone made the 3 PM flights.

When we got to the border, the first bus was still there with a couple of other buses. All luggage had to be taken off the bus as well as anything you carried with you at your seat. It took us about 1/2 hour to get through the lines and have the luggage put back on the bus. The other buses in front of us left just about the same time as we did BUT the first bus from the ship was still being detained - don't know why. After that we had a 20 minute rest stop. Traffic was bad (a Friday). We got to the airport at 2:10 with a lot of unhappy people.

:)

We took the quickshuttle Sunday July 11 from Canada Place to Seatac. They have a 9:40 that is an express. Since everyone on board was from a cruise we didn't have to remove all our luggage at the US border. I was at the rental car counter at Seatac at 1:15. Hope this helps...if you can't change your flight reserve the express!!

Archived