BUENOS AIRES - Which Tango show?

arlenemilt

We will be staying two nights pre-cruise (Golden Princess in March) in BA, and would appreciate a recommendation to one of the "must see" tango shows. We're at the BA Marriott. Thanks. :)

Arlene

Arlene,

I'm answering before this thread likely gets moved to the South America board...

We went to the show at Carlos Guardel and it was great. We stayed at the Intercontinental and booked through the concierge. The show included dinner with wine and transportation both ways. I don't recall the price, and we were there in March 2003.

By the way we loved Buenos Aires.

Jim

Arlene,

I'm answering before this thread likely gets moved to the South America board...

We went to the show at Carlos Guardel and it was great. We stayed at the Intercontinental and booked through the concierge. The show included dinner with wine and transportation both ways. I don't recall the price, and we were there in March 2003.

By the way we loved Buenos Aires.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I appreciate the prompt response. I initially posted my query to the South America board, but nothing surfaced.

You do know we're going to hijack Tony and make him go too. :)

Arlene

Jim

I will be staying at the Intercontinental in Buenos Aires in March. Did you make your reservations prior to arriving at the hotel? I have emailed the concierge about a tango show and he said there were many to choose from and that I could make reservations after I arrive. I just want to make sure that by waiting til we arrive we want miss out on getting reservations.

Hi Arlene. . . we will be in BA in February and will be attending the Tango show at Piazzolla. I'll be happy to let you know how it was if you remind me when I get back on 2/18.

Thanks Stacey. That would be great. Then we'll get updated first hand info only 2 weeks prior to departure. Just keep posting from the ship so I'll have contact with you.

Arlene

While a Tango show might be interesting (ok with wine!) .. consider some other EZE options!

I was there on a non-crusie trip and had the whole day to kill before the return flight.

The hotel (yup InterContinental which btw has a GREAT wine shop in the lobby) booked me on a 9am-6pm Guacho BBQ trip. Granted the bus ride was a bit long .. but we got to the country (Pampas?) and got to wander around, even ride horses or in carts, have a GREAT lunch with various meats BBQ and served by Gauchos . then watch them ride horses and show off!

Not sure you would want Tango show that same evening . but since you are arriving a couple days early .. consider this!

There were two tour companies the hotel used .. one used a large bus and one used a smaller van-type bus. I chose the van-type and it was MUCH more relaxed!

Sounds terrific JGR01. We just might do that gaucho trip. We can do a tango show the first night and have the whole next day for a full day excursion. Everyone seems to be at the Intercontinental; Marriott is our baby (points, you know :) )

Arlene

Jim

I will be staying at the Intercontinental in Buenos Aires in March. Did you make your reservations prior to arriving at the hotel? I have emailed the concierge about a tango show and he said there were many to choose from and that I could make reservations after I arrive. I just want to make sure that by waiting til we arrive we want miss out on getting reservations.

I booked the Intercontinental through their website. It was substantially cheaper than what Princess was charging for a pre-cruise stay. I believe Intercontinental claims that they guarantee the lowest rates if you use their website.

I also contacted the hotel via email (reservas@interconti.com.ar) prior to leaving and they arranged for the hotel car to pick us up at the airport. Due to a small snafu (someone with the same last name pinched our car) we left the airport after the Princess bus but we arrived well before the bus, so we were checked in and in our room before the bus got there. I believe the hotel car cost us about $30. This is from 2003 and from memory so don't hold me to the cost.

While a Tango show might be interesting (ok with wine!) .. consider some other EZE options!

I was there on a non-crusie trip and had the whole day to kill before the return flight.

The hotel (yup InterContinental which btw has a GREAT wine shop in the lobby) booked me on a 9am-6pm Guacho BBQ trip. Granted the bus ride was a bit long .. but we got to the country (Pampas?) and got to wander around, even ride horses or in carts, have a GREAT lunch with various meats BBQ and served by Gauchos . then watch them ride horses and show off!

Not sure you would want Tango show that same evening . but since you are arriving a couple days early .. consider this!

There were two tour companies the hotel used .. one used a large bus and one used a smaller van-type bus. I chose the van-type and it was MUCH more relaxed!

The Intercontinental does have a great wine shop in the lobby. I think we bought half a case of wine and took it onboard with us. The wines of Argentina are nice and the wine shop was very knowlegeable.

We also went to an estancia. It was probably the same one - Santa Susana. I googled them, but their website is under construction (Página en construcción). The gaucho riding exhibition was a lot of fun. Doing the estancia and a tango show in a single day would be tough.

I'm attaching a photo from the estancia to help get everyone in the mood. ;)

Gauchos.jpg.5bb3908779cd867940c5cad7dadb7e13.jpg

We were in Buenos Aires in January of this year, after a wonderful Oceania cruise. We independently booked two tango shows through a company called WOW Argentina. They also provided us with wonderful tours throughout the city, and corresponded frequently via e-mail with recommendations. The two shows we visited were both spectacular. The first, Piazzola, was very traditional, and the vast majority of patrons were Hispanic (the MC, as part of his routine, asked who were from various countries; only four of us were North Americans). The steak dinner was excellent, and the show was fabulous, with incredible singers and dancers. The second was at "Senor Tango". Now this sounds like a touristy schtick, but we enjoyed it even more than we enjoyed Piazzola. We had the best steak we had ever eaten anywhere in the world, accompanied by excellent wine. We booked the "VIP" seating, which afforded us a fabulous view of what turned out to be equal to any Hollywood-type production we had ever encountered. The accompanying orchestra was incredible,and the dancers were numerous and exceptionally professional.

Again, I can't say enough good things about WOW Argentina, who arranged everything in a professional manner, including a comprehensive folder containing guides and recommendations in Buenos Aires - waiting for us when we checked into our hotel.

Mike

I worked in Buenos Aires for a short while some years back.

It is a fascinating, chic city, Not at all South American but very European

in character. One of the trips I took was the Tigre Delta

http://www.allaboutar.com/st_tigre.htm

When/if we return on vacation a must would me a trip to see the Iguazu Falls.

Regards Cb

Arlene,

So glad that you posted this topic again (on another board I guess) and finally we have some good replies! I've been watching it as I have the exact same questions too.

This board is - well - pretty dead, but I think it's because most lucky people have a cruise with other people and are posting on their roll-call. I'm not one of the lucky people and I feel like an orphan with NO roll-call. So I'm piggy-backing off any other threads that I can find.

We're wanting (I think) to go just to the show and have a drink and light snack as we're having a huge lunch and going to an estancia the same day:eek: but it can't be helped.

Look forward to reading your threads!

Arlene,

So glad that you posted this topic again (on another board I guess) and finally we have some good replies! I've been watching it as I have the exact same questions too.

I feel like an orphan with NO roll-call. So I'm piggy-backing off any other threads that I can find.

You need to get off stuffy Celebrity cruises and come over to Princess. Princess cruisers are not only knowledgeable, but they loooooooooovvvvve to chat. :D

We're wanting (I think) to go just to the show and have a drink and light snack as we're having a huge lunch and going to an estancia the same day:eek: but it can't be helped.

Look forward to reading your threads!

Hopefully you'll post when you return. I notice you'rre going in January.

Arlene

Arlene,

We attended the Piazolla show and like MikeBrill says, it was wonderful. Our biggest regret was not booking more than one show, because they're all different.

We did see some tango dancers one afternoon in La Boca, who danced for tips.

Don't worry about pre-booking a show before you arrive in BA. You can do it once you get there, there are plenty to choose from. They don't get so overcrowded that you won't get a booking.

The "drill" for all of them is the same. You pay a fixed price which includes transportation to/from your hotel, dinner, wine and a show. It's a "well oiled" machine and the shows are wonderful. The dinner and wine at Piazolla were terrific.

If you're only going to be in BA for two nights, and you have only one afternoon, I personally would skip going to the Estancia. BA is one of the best cities in the world and to miss it would be a shame. There's so much to see there. Just my opinion.

I have used used the services of WOWArgentina and PrivateTours.com.ar and both are really excellent.

Jane

Archived